Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Poor Ex-Replica Owners

All you guys with F2-4is are now orphans. Life's just not fair.

This offering is nourishing food for thought for all the "racing improves the breed" doubters out there.

Almost 3 extra inches of fore-and-aft weight transfer and probably like 3 effective inches lower CG! I sure want to see the next track test of this bike. Should be pretty close to the 954RR on the road and better at the track, actually; surely 125 shaft hp? And hey, Rossi looks really comfortable out there for 60 miles at a time.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Not one, but two

Read again. The CBR600RR is a brand new model replacing nothing. The CBR600F.. continues as is in different forms around the world.

I'll be the "all new CBR600F5i" will be a streetier version of the F4i with easier ergos and like saddle bags.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Re: '03 Honda? Oh baby but Kawa and R6 look better

If they're really basing this bike on the RC211V styling has less to do with it then aerodynamics. The seat is probably as hard or harder; the one on the new 600F line will probably be more comfy.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Check out the gearing!

Talk about close ratios! With a 150 lb rider it goes to 75 mph in 1st in 3 seconds with 1 G of grip. I figure it takes 580 lb of thrust to get it there and about 10% more than that is available in 1st. It won't power wheely in 2cd with the rider tucked.

Speed in gears:

1 75

2 95

3 115

4 135

5 155

6 172 all at 15,000 rpm shift points.

I'm assuming a 150 lb rider. Sorry, big guy.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Correction to Check out the gearing!

Talk about close ratios! With a 150 lb rider it goes to 75 mph in 1st in 3.3 seconds with 1 G of grip. I figure it takes 580 lb of thrust to get it there and about 10% more than that is available in 1st. It won't power wheely in 2cd with the rider tucked.

Speed in gears:

1 75

2 95

3 115

4 135

5 155

6 172 all at 15,000 rpm shift points.

I'm assuming a 150 lb rider. Sorry, big guy.

·
Registered
780 Posts

I'm impressed by the 70 mm extra room for weight shifting. The other race replicas pretty much lock the rider into shifting only upper body weight. On this one you can slide most of your weight forward over 2 inches more in a corner. Huge advantage while powering out during the transition.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Read the technical data in the honda-uk link provided above. They have a totally all new chain tensioner; quite proud of it, too.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Here's the skinny

"New Dual-Pivot Camchain Tensioner

At the howling top revs that the new CBR600RR's engine was designed to reach, concerns about precise cam timing and reliability come sharply into play. One main component that plays a crucial role in the CBR's valve drivetrain operation is its cam chain. At revs approaching 15,000rpm, not to mention the violent thrashes of acceleration and deceleration a motorcycle is exposed to over the course of a road race, the camchain comes in for especially hard punishment. Conventional spring-loaded camchain tensioners simply aren't up to job of maintaining steady pressure and tension on the chain under these conditions, so the CBR600RR's engine designers countered this potential problem with a simple yet ingeniously effective dual-pivot tensioner system.

Featuring a new two-piece configuration, the long standard camchain guide that extends upward from just above the crankshaft gear is now held by a short overlapping secondary guide that gives the tensioner preload spring much greater leverage to hold the chain steady under racing's violent stresses, and maintain precise valve timing throughout the new engine's ultra-wide power band."

·
Registered
780 Posts

The wing's still there; it's the big black slash that's missing. Tasty.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discrepancy?

The UK site said "However, while current systems provide excellent performance for most on-road riding applications and engine speeds, the new CBR600RR was, from its inception, intended to deliver strong power all the way up to a blazing 15,000rpm power peak."

The introduction of the USA offering says "redline", not power peak, and also that the RR features "more over-rev capability".

I wish Honda would state hp and torque @ rpm figures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts