Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
How many weeks without new content and then this?

When I look at the "staff" page, I don't see any writers, so perhaps that's part of the problem.

I'll agree that $12 was a great value for all of the content provided during the past year but the recent trend in minimal cycle-oriented content with long waits in between is pretty awful. As I keep being reminded, I've got 16 days to renew my subscription but I just can't make up my mind.

So I think I'm going to wait it out to see if I'm better off buying a McD's meal for two or another year of MO.

Regards,

Ross

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: How many weeks without new content and then this?

Hey, look, someone else who saw Fight Club.

*yawn* (and I agree it's a great movie, but come on...)

At least I wasn't trying to be clever, just critical.

Regards,

Ross

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Oh just you wait!

That's good to hear, but there are a lot of things I'd love to see more of. Big thing #1 would be long term ride/reviews. Keep a bike or six as a staff daily driver for a year. Still into it? Think it needs a new seat? Which leads me to big thing #2: aftermarket customization.

Very few motorcycle owners (in my experience, anyway) have a 100% stock bike. You guys criticize the brake, the suspension, the seat, the bars, etc. So do riders and the aftermarket listens! But there's no really reliable information about it. No magazine will run a story on a modded bike except for the occasional turbocharger story of an already outrageous sportbike with 220hp or something equally over the top.

When I started looking at the Sprint ST as a "better than VFR" sport tourer, I found a very slim story here on MO with a few poorly explored criticisms, then found one of the ST websites and found some very interesting but seriously incomplete information about aftermarket pipes available for it, different bar geometry, suspension mods, etc. which may make the bike completely dominating or may be money thrown down the toilet. But there's no help except to ask people who own one or two bikes at most and can't do a controlled experiment to save their souls.

It would be flat out awesome if a magazine checked out some of the claims of aftermarket pipe manufacturers, of PowerCommander, of any of this stuff and gave us some real data to work with. The story about the modded RC51 vs. the Aprilia could have been this type of story, but the effect of the various mods got completely lost in some silly grudge match story. I wanted to know more about those carbon fiber wheels. What did the reduction in unspring mass do to lap times? How did they feel on the road? Any worries about longer term use? What about the Ohlins rear shock? What kind of differences can I expect from a $1000 investment in my rear suspension? Etc.

For anything that's not just style, the aftermarket can be awfully confusing. A little help could go a long way and who knows, at least the headline won't read "Whirry, not an ounce of fatty" for weeks at a time.

Regards,

Ross

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Excellent ideas!

> Second of all we have this terrible problem around

> here in that there are usually 6-8 of the latest and

> greatest new test bikes stashed in our garage and

> only 4 of us to ride them. Tragic, I know!

I can help with that. I'm relocating to LA in two weeks. I'll sacrifice my own time to help you guys out with issues like this. :)

(I'm half serious... who knows what could happen?)

Regards,

Ross

1 - 4 of 4 Posts