Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stupid helmet

I just love this guy's riding gear. Why would I respect the opinion of someone who thinks his head is nothing more than a fashion statement?

Did I just call another motojournalist a poser? I think I did.

Evans

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Stupid helmet

Just a DOT helmet that looks like it fits properly. After all, California has a helmet law.

BTW, Yamaha makes nice jackets with proper protection. So, his wimpy helmet seems to contradict the jacket, sturdy boots, and gloves. I don't think that he needed to built-in armor to beef up his appearance. (Although cameras are supposed to add 10 lbs.)

Evans

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: To my Guardian Angel . . .

You paint quite a pretty picture of the ideal ride, although I wonder how you'd hear the birds with your ears hanging out in the wind.

You are also right that you have a choice of what type of helmet to wear--even though most of the people who responded to my comment assumed that I was dissing you for not wearing a full faced helmet. While I think half helmets are silly, if they're DOT approved, enjoy your ideal ride. If you're being photographed for publication wearing a beanie helmet that is not legal in a state that requires helmet use, I question your judgement, since your actions as a member of the motorcycle press reflect on the entire sport. Like it or not, writers in the special interest press, because of their unique situation of being members of and commentators on the community they cover, are also seen representatives of that community by the main stream media and readers.

Since your actions affect not just your image but that of the rest of the riding public, I questioned why I should value your assessment of the Road Star when you didn't bother to wear a legal helmet. If your helmet is DOT legal and a for-novelty-only item, I will apologize publicly right now. However, I think a quick trip to the Head Protection Research Laboratory would be a fun way to check out the lid to be certain.

So, in closing, I'm not trying to protect you from yourself. You're a big boy and can live with the personal consequences of your actions. When I feel your actions could affect the sport I've devoted a large part of my life to, I voice my opinion as a counterpoint. I think that SB, emissary of motorcycling good will that he is, would understand.

Evans

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: FYI

Here's my apology:

Mr. Bass, I, Evans Brasfield, apologize for calling you a poser. Since your helmet was DOT legal, I was clearly mistaken and leapt to the wrong conclusion.* You did not besmirch the great sport of motorcycling and are a credit to the human race. (SB would be proud.) However, I stand by my suggestion of a trip to HPRL to see if your helmet really lives up to its DOT rating.

Here's my response to being called a hypocrite:

Other than the lead shot of the article in question (Can anyone say "pun?" Or "closed course?" I knew you could.), you'll notice that I'm wearing drag racing leathers, a full face helmet, gloves, and drag racing boots during the actual riding. I would rank the shot of me in a skirt as being on par with you in a bathrobe. Both are pretty scary, IMO.

Still, I'm constantly amazed at how many people are not secure enough in their claimed heterosexuality that they feel the need point out how revolted they are by my wearing a skirt and a wig during a photo shoot. Don't worry, I'm not going to ask you out on a date. I prefer people who wear full protection.

Evans

* Silly me, I forgot that Yamaha wouldn't let you borrow their bike without a legal helmet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Puns

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):

Pun Pun, n. [Cf. Pun to pound, Pound to beat.]

A play on words which have the same sound but different

meanings; an expression in which two different applications

of a word present an odd or ludicrous idea; a kind of quibble

or equivocation.
Hmmm.

DRAG racing. Dressing in DRAG. A photo combining the two.

You're right, no pun here. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mags

I don't think he wrote for Sport Rider - I think it was MC Cruiser or Cruising Rider or Rider or one of those.
With the exception of Rider, all of the above plus Motorcyclist, ATV Rider, rideamotorcycle.com, Friction Zone, and Backroads.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: honestly

2) it has been my observation that people who ride cruisers wearing beanies are at CONSIDERABLY lower risk than the average R1 organ donor wearing full racing gear on the street.
You might want to do a little research. The trends appear to be changing. However, until a dedicated study is conducted, no one can be certain.

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandupdates/2002fatals/

A selection from the article:

These numbers have led to a lot of speculation about the causes. Sales of new streetbikes have more than doubled during since 1997, so it seems apparent that more people are riding motorcycles. Many of the patterns seem to run counter to those traditionally seen in motorcycle accidents. For example, the motorcycle accident caused by the driver of another vehicle who violates the rider's right-of-way at an urban intersection is apparently becoming less common than the motorcyclist who crashes all by himself on a rural road. Where riders in their 20s once formed the largest group in fatal motorcycle-accident statistics, older riders (over 40) have become the dominant segment. Alcohol involvement continues to be a major factor, but has declined during the last few years. More and more riders have received formal rider education even as the fatality numbers have risen. The apparent increase of fatal accidents as a percentage of the total accident pictures suggests that we are doing a poorer job of protecting ourselves--perhaps because fewer states have helmet laws and more riders are wearing non-protective novelty helmets that don't meet DOT standards in states where helmets are required--or that we are crashing harder. Cruisers are apparently a bigger part of the accident picture, but then they are also a bigger part of the bike-sales picture.
Evans

·
Registered
26 Posts
Post-mortem

What a piece of work I was last week. I could try make excuses for my rants, but I won't.

I violated the two self-imposed rules that I try to follow in all internet discussions. The first, and most important, is no name calling. My standard response, when someone applies this debating "technique" on a discussion board, is to reply with "By resorting to personal attacks, you only demean yourself." This exchange proves that emphatically. So, when my initial assumption was proved to be false, making my entire point moot, I was handed my ass. As I should have been.

The second personal rule I didn't follow is based on advice a friend's grandfather gave me many, many years ago. He said, "Son, if you're already in a hole, there's no use to continue digging." More than once I've thought, in retrospect, that I should have heeded his advice. This is one of those times.

Everyone has their blind spots. One of mine happens to be the use of motorcycle helmets. Who knows why I chose last week to pop off on the helmet issue when a heated discussion had taken place on MO a few days earlier.

Mea culpa,

Evans

1 - 11 of 11 Posts