Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great review, gentlemen.

The S sounds like a really neat, highly-evolved bike, with some rough edges that make themselves apparent at Sean's pace.

I like the R for the simple reason that it looks like Darth Vader's bike. I watched the first Power Cup race via streaming video. The bikes go pretty darn well.

And the HP that sneaked into the pictures at the very end: oooh!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Fritz never learns...

Krauts can't whittle a toothpick without three years of CAD work and a CNC program.

"Anything worth building, is worth ove- engineening - and overcharging for." That should be engraved in stone, somewhere in the in the Father Land...then knocked down like the Berlin Wall.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Fritz never learns...

True true. It also takes them at least 10 years to come up with a decent sidestand.

"We're perfect so we ignore any customer input. Bow down to us. Bow down to Zod!"

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Looks like Beemer has achieved their usual result. A nice motorcycle that I'd consider buying if it weren't for the overpricing.

However like my Beemer-loving riding partner says.. wait 2-3 years and there will be plenty of good used deals. Another friend just bought an '02 R1150R ABS with less than 10K on it for $6500.

·
Registered
170 Posts
everybody please just abandon fuel injection

It wasn't ready 20 years ago, it won't be ready any time soon (if ever) and there is no point. It makes things more complex, more expensive, and just plain more likely to blow up. Nobody has good FI and BMW, get a clue, yours stink by a mile. What in all that's special is wrong with CARBS? My carbs work beautifully. I will never own a FI bike no matter who makes it.

With aftermarket brake lines so trivial to come by, how come nobody just rips the stupid servo stuff out and wires the master cylinders to the calipers direct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't believe that no one complained about the turn signal switches! Or is it that the other faults were so glaring that blowing the horn every time you wanted to turn was just a misdemeanor?

David

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The more things change.....BMW is still beta testing on customers, motoscribes are still polarized about them and the Roundel faithful won't give a rat's rear about any opinions outside of ON or OTL INTEL. And they will be mostly right in the long run - that is; right IF you are a Roundel Head.

Funny thing about BMW's and HD's: they really bring the strong opinions out of the woodwork.

A good point was made about waiting a couple of years. BMW is soooo slow to fix the little glitches. Sometimes they never fix them...whonky paralever splines, unphased U-joints, weak Type 247 charging, 249 Series surging...on and on. But then the aftermarket has fixes for most of that stuff.

Which brings me to the bottom line: as many a moto journalist has pointed out before - Euro bikes need you. They need you to well, finish them. Doing that well is a rewarding experience IF you like that sort of thing. Me? Been there and done that. Maybe I'll go back again and maybe not.

Good review. I do appreciate being able to grid in writers likes, dislikes. Helps the ole bs filter work better.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

We just watched Team America the other night, too. It has been a long, long time since we laughed that hard at a movie. In the DVD extras, Matt or Trey (I forget which) just took off on actors in general ("they are all turds") and Jerry Bruckheimer movies in specific. Can you picture the SouthPark crazies remaking "Armageddon" with puppets?

BUWAAA HAAAAA!!!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Looks like a nice enough bike. After Sean tore it to pieces, I'm not so sure it's ready for prime time. Beemers have always been an interesting oddity for me. I DO need to test ride one just to satisfy my curiosity. It just seemed like Gabe and Sean rode two different bikes. This thing have a split personality??

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I hope BMW's quality control isn't that bad but it sure sounds like there was a world of difference between the bike that Gabe was on relative to that which Sean tested. I'll wait for the R. The MSRP isn't too rediculous and it sure looks better than any BMW I've seen in the past 10 years.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts

TA/WP is the best movie of the year! How about that serial vomitting scene... oh god, please make it stop!

Matt Damon!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I don't get it. why would anyone buy this bike when a new Busa is thousands less, and doesn't have all of the negatives that Sean mentioned? BMW should do what is used to do best, and build bikes that are easier to maintain, have better reliability, and are lighter than other manufacturer's offerings. Seems like they forgot all of that when they offer poorly thought out bikes like this turd. Van

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ugh. What's up with the camera you guy are using to film basic walkarounds and stuff like that? Why does it always sound like you are in a wind tunnel?

Can't you put something around the microphone to help out with the wind noise? It's kinda annoying.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.