Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that-but you can't edit once it's posted. But I just love it when someone follows my posts in such ridiculous detail.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Now now, Buz, that's usually my line! You and SBP have really been picking up the pace lately. Scary!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I dont expect them to play it down, but they seemed to be jumping the gun - there doesnt appear to be any definitive statement about the reason for the snapped frame.

When I read the article, it seems to allude to the problem with the frame being the cause of the crash, at least as far as the rider was concerned.

If a road car safety cell collapsed because the car hit an unyeilding brick wall at 120mph, would that deserve to be highlighted??

Anything will break if hit hard enough and it the right way. Over 100mph means a LOT of kinetic energy. I've seen bike frames DESTROYED by slower crashes (at Phillip Island - Hayshed corner)

The weld may be the weakest point of the frame. That alone doesnt mean it's too weak to do it's job, but may mean it's the bit that fails when it is subject to overwhelming force.

Also,the stiffer something is, the more likely it is to snap rather than bend it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dont know, but as far as the metal properties go, you need more volume/size of aluminum to equal the strength of steel, but it will still weight less than the steel thing of the same strength.

There must be something to the steel trellis frame thing - it seems to work well.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Not to worry. Suzuki will get right on it and if there's a defect will immediately issue a recall.

Hold it... I just saw a pig fly past my window.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: This is gonna hurt

Maybe these bikes will become like my friend's 70's Puch dirtbike. The frame was so light and weak it would break someplace each time he took it out.

Okay, so they don't use cold rolled steel to make the frames anymore, but eventually the search for reduced weight is going to result in these sorts of problems.

Especially when some squid whacks into objects at 100mph.

·
Registered
780 Posts
He says the weld had zero penetration for most of its length. That's bad enough to publish, crash or no crash.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yeah, and it wouldn't take much.

The early Hayabusa had frame problems. From what I understand, it was from an assembly-line glitch - but that's all it would take. One glitch in the computer: One hinky robotics welder: One day that the system isn't working perfectly, and what do you get? (Golly, I’m starting to sound like the Foreword of a Michael Crichton novel.) Anyway, that’s my alarmist rant, in a nut shell.

:)

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Defective equipment. No more, no less.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
wouldn't it be cool if somebody called Suzuki PR person to axe for official word/explanation/whatever? and posted it for all 2 c?

Naaaah.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Irgendein Huhn-Bumser stößt an der großen Geschwindigkeit zusammen, und jetzt ist es ein grosses Thema.

Persönlich möchte ich mehr Themen auf Harley Davidsons sehen. Sie kennen David Hasselhoff Fahrten ein Harley.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I don't know what yo said, but that better not be a slam on David Hasselhoff. Without him, the amount of T&A on TV in the 90's would have been significantly reduced.

The man deserves a sainthood.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts