Motorcycle Forums banner

'05 Sprint ST Heat Issues?

15K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  mfili 
#1 ·
Re: 05 Sprint ST Heat Issues?

This is a known issue with the ST. Many road tests at the time of its introduction clearly showed it and I believe that Triumph has corrected some of it on the 2006 models. The Yamaha FJR 1300 had similar issues. I don't know of any fix.

#4 ·

yeah, but don't those underseat exhausts sure look cool? LOL! a classic example of fashion over logic.

try an experiment. ride your bike for 30 minutes, then grasp the muffler firmly with your bare hand. hot, huh? why would any rational person route that hot pipe under the seat?

better question: why would any rational person buy such a bike?

#5 ·

You may want to log-on to TriumphRat.net (http://www.triumphrat.net) and search the Sprint forum. I found a couple of possible solutions that were posted:

1) In Spring of this year there was a heat kit that installed some insulation to help shield the heat. Problem is, you have to ask Triumph for it-They are not announcing it.

2) The Triumph "off road" exhaust, which not only sounds nicer but removes the catalytic converter, a big source of the heat.

Between the two, it reduces it greatly according to a few posts but not 100%. The final step would probably be ceramic coating the headers.

I've ridden the '06 ST and love it, except for the heat.

#6 ·
I have an '06 ST, which was capable of toasting my backside, particularly on a hot summer day. Application of a heavy foil- backed section of insulation commonly used in automotive applications solved the problem in 10 minutes. The insulation is widely available, and typically has an adhesive backing so it's just a matter of cutting it to conform to the underside of the seat and pressing it into place.

Denis Liakos

#7 ·
I think it tends to vary. I owned two earlier Sprint RSs (a 00 and an 01), and my 05 definitely gets hotter. I tend to notice it more on my legs though. However, in my reading, it seems that some people have no problem with it, while others can't stand it. Personally, mine gets a bit annoying at times, but I've never felt that it was too hot to ride.

As stated earlier, there is supposedly a heat shield you can get. I asked my dealer about it and he didn't know anything about it, but others have been able to get their hands on one. As mine is pretty bearable, I never looked further into the issue.

Whenever things start to heat up, I figure its just time to ride a bit faster :)

#8 ·
There is a heat shield under that seat. Advise- Buy another one and double them up. That should make the difference. As far as the Speed III question on the subject- The exhaust is only semi-covered by the tail section. I have never had a bad issue with heat because it has a place to vent.

#10 ·

i know this is true, but it begs a followup question:

why not route the pipes where they don't NEED a heatshield, so that they can dissipate heat? face it ... sportbike riders, like cruiser riders, have become slaves to fashions. it looks cool to have pipes jutting out from underneath the seat so engineering gyrations are put into place to make it happen.

only eric buell had the cojones to put pipes where they ought to be, fashion be damned. and guess what ... he started a fashion trend!

#11 ·

But... but... but.... real racing bikes use underseat exhausts! Everyone knows that what's best for racing is best for the street too! This helps make a bike the SAFEST BIKE YOU CAN BUY!

#13 ·

Triumph did the right thing putting underseat exhausts on the Sprint ST. The idea is correct their execution just sucked, as other have said it's not a problem on all bikes.

The underseat pipes on the R1, ZX-10R, etc.. are fashion. Racers remove them and go back to the high mount side exhaust because it's lighter and keeps the weight lower on the bike, they have no worries about bags or passengers, etc..

The underseat pipes on the ST, VFR, etc.. are not fashion. They allow the manufacturer to use a far superior luggage setup with zero loss of ground clearance. The bags don't have to have a "cutout" which kills the room in the bags to make room for the exhaust, and the exhaust is up and out of the way with no ground clearance issues.

All the other S-T bikes with standard side exhausts have to make a tradeoff. Either put the pipes down low on the bike like a cruiser or touring bike, and lose ground clearance. Or make a hokey bag on one side that loses 50% of it's volume to make room for the pipe.

Symmetrical luggage with an underseat exhaust is the way to go.

It's moot anyway as Triumph has supposedly fixed this for the 06 and 07 models anyway.

#15 ·
Re: What about the Triple

'06 Speed Triple owner - no issues with heat from the underseat exhaust seat-temperature wise, but I do get my legs char-broiled, both from the gas tank when close to empty and my right leg due to the risers to the underseat exhaust. Since I lane split thru traffic on my way home it becomes quite noticeable. Intend to put heat-shielding under the tank and maybe wrap the headers with tape later this year. Am intrigued what other people have done...

#17 ·
First off,

I really appreciate ValkBandits inputs. Good to see someone chime in when not asked. Just dont get enough of that in this world. You must be such a joy to deal with on a daily basis.... Second, thanks to Denis Liakos, Wambo, and J Strain for some good honest and sincere advice. I will put this advice into action and enjoy MY RIDE even more. And remember, lets be careful out there.(Hill Street Blues)

#18 ·
This exact material is what came STOCK on the underside of the tail on my Yamah FZ6. That, coupled with a couple of strategically placed heatshields to protect the passenger's legs (what looks like the muffler on the FZ6 is actually a heatshield) makes heat from beneath the seat a non-issue.

#19 ·
I have an 06. Heat was noted to be a problem in the print rags when they tested the bike. (Ahem, MO, it sure would be nice to see an official Sprint 1050 test sometime before the model is discontinued.) I test rode mine before buying and didnt really notice anything uncomfortable. I loved everything elso so much that I figured I would find a way to fix any heat issues if they came up. It seems like not matter what bike I get, there is always something I am less than happy with. Heat is an easy fix compared to to other things. When it was hot here (100+) I did notice that things got toasty, especially in slow moving traffic. Get up to freeway speed and it resolves for the most part. My last bike (03 SV1000S) was the opposite...at freeway speed the seat was hot, and around town it was not too bad though I never could figure out why. My wife mentioned that the seat gets a little warm for her in the back of the Sprint (she hated the SV) but nothing that would make her want to quit riding it. I am going to ask the dealer about the heat shielding package from Truimph and if that doesnt work then try the automotive heat shielding mentioned above, but overall I really havent been bothered all that much by the seat heat either. I do seem to notice that there is a lot of heat coming off the right side hitting about mid shin. I deal with that by tucking my riding pants into my boot or moving my right foot outward on the peg a little. I never notice any of this when in the twisties...only in traffic or on the freeway drone. The rat pack discussion group is excellent and full of good information...you should check it out. Did you have any problems with brake mushyness? I keep reading about that but mine have always been stellar. I have the ABS version, so maybe that is why. Anyway, I am glad you like your bike. I agree that the Sprint is a fantastic ride...its only real competitor is the VFR, which is much slower/heavier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.