Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
TOO much $$$$

$10k? Sure, hot second.

$12k? Maby, but that GSX-R looks tempting.

$15k? A ducati is cheaper

$20k? No way in heck.

BMW, more than any other manufacturer (even more than Harley Davidson!) gouges for the name. No thanks.

·
Registered
911 Posts
No way I would pay that kind of money for a name and an attitude, there are other dual sports out there that are much more capable than that fat pig, for alot less money and less "personality".

By the way, did you mean columbia, south carolina, or Colombia south america?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hey I b1tch about overpriced BMWs as much as anybody out there, but how many times have you ever heard reviewers call any BMW powerful and fun ? Kudos to BMW for making something unique even if it is (typically) pricey.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
I really enjoy odd and funky bikes and the HP looks like a big sloppy bag of fun.

The price is, of course, a concern. I hope this won’t be used against the US market that we doesn't buy standards/motards/dualpurpose bikes.

With any hope, this is just the first model that Beemer will offer and the rest will be, at least, closer to reason as far as a price point is concerned.

I noticed that it is listed as having a 2.9 gallon fuel tank INCLUDING a 1 gallon reserve. Isn't this EXTREMELY small??? Is this stat right? If it is, what range did you guys get out of it? The stat must be wrong otherwise I would have thought this would have been mentioned as a shortcoming.

Anyhow, I love the review and I am thankful more and more that I have long legs and tall seat heights aren't nearly as much of a concern as it is for most.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If I had 20 grand, and the HP-2 had a larger gas tank I'd own one tomorrow. I'd even trade in my trusty R100GS to own one, and it's my favorite motorcycle by far out of the 30 plus bikes that I've owned.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Excellent Review. My initial thought was BUFF i.e. Big Ugly Fat Fellow...and then Overweight Overengineered and Overpriced.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Looking into my crystal ball, I see one heck of a multi bike shootout!

KTM

HP2

KLR (why not?)

Hypermotard (I'm wishing here)

Ulysses (if the clutch holds out)

If you're looking for geriatric riders let me know.

Also, I wonder how this thing would do with street tires on it?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Re: TOO much $$$$

How many times do I have to say this? BMW price things in the US at the same price as they do for the rest of the world. They are the only manufacturer who do not cut their prices in the US by 40%. It's a world product, at a world price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: TOO much $$$$

So, xlr8r says we shouldn't be unhappy when we get raped because people in East Slobovia are getting raped too. Funny, I thought the point was that the price is too high, not that BMW is gaffing us Americans worse than anyone else.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Sounds like it may be OK out there on the West Coast, but it doesn't make a lot of sense here in the East Coast off-road environment.

What's with the disparaging remarks about four-stroke singles?

'At highway speeds that hard-working little thumper feels buzzy and breathless, and what if you were being chased through a mountain pass by bandits in Columbia with your wife on the back and two saddlebags full of chinchilla pelts?'

I have ridden many thumpers and that doesn't describe any of them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts