Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know that most people recommend 30mm rear sag and 40mm front sag, but i can't see to get the 40mm outta the front of my bike.
I only go about 130lbs with my gear on and have backed the pre load all the off on the front of my bike. I can get about 20 to 25mm of total sag.
On the other hand now that the pre load is all the way out the bike will bottom out here and there.
anyone have any suggestions on how many turns on the pre load, compression and rebound damping i should be using for my rider weight.
Any info will be a big help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
'130lbs with my gear on'!

Dude (assuming you are of the hairy gender), get off the computer and go eat something! Like a large animal! And then get a huge dessert!

130lbs.! Jeezus! My right leg weighs that much!

If, on the other hand you are of the 'fairer sex', ignore the above.

To (maybe) answer your question: Preload and damping are different issues. You need to shorten your springs (either by cutting, buying shorter, or taking the spacers out and cutting them) if backing all the preload does not give you the sag you desire.

'Bottoming out' means that you are not damping (slowing) the flow of fluid enough when you encounter a 'low frequency' impact. Two options: Crank up the compression damping, or change to a heavier oil.

There are several excellent discussions on the Web about suspension setup, so if you are a novice, look into them.

Take anything your 'buddies' say with a shakerful of salt.

130lbs. Sheesh!

-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'130lbs with my gear on'!

Dude (assuming you are of the hairy gender), get off the computer and go eat something! Like a large animal! And then get a huge dessert!

130lbs.! Jeezus! My right leg weighs that much!

If, on the other hand you are of the 'fairer sex', ignore the above.

To (maybe) answer your question: Preload and damping are different issues. You need to shorten your springs (either by cutting, buying shorter, or taking the spacers out and cutting them) if backing all the preload does not give you the sag you desire.

'Bottoming out' means that you are not damping (slowing) the flow of fluid enough when you encounter a 'low frequency' impact. Two options: Crank up the compression damping, or change to a heavier oil.

There are several excellent discussions on the Web about suspension setup, so if you are a novice, look into them.

Take anything your 'buddies' say with a shakerful of salt.

130lbs. Sheesh!

-
LOL not of the fairer sex. LOL, and i do eat. I eat my @$$ off. kinda like a bad commercial. You never see anything that advertises making you gain weight. On the other hand i figure that i should be able to give a busa a good run for its money on my RR.
I understand damping and how it works. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what i would set it at for my weight. My best bet is probably to add some oil to the front suspension. I just got the thing to stop riding like a sack of $hit last night by turning down the preload all the way.I have only had this bike for about a month.
I haven't got the owners manual with this bike. I am assuming that the compression damping set screws are the ones on the top of the shock and the rebound are on the bottom???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts