Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the 'air mod' you will get 1 horsepower, and with the 'FI mod' you will get 2 horsepower, and with the 'pipe mod', you will get banned from riding down your block with your loud ass pipe. Don't waste time and money trying to make it what it will never be. Just ride the thing.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Longride is right on. If you are after better throttle response, that's one thing. The hp gains are pretty limited unless you go big $$.

Spend $300 on a track day with instruction and you bike will be faster w/o mods.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like just about all true cruisers, Vulcans are not high performance bikes. If performance was your principal concern, I'm afraid you have the wrong machine. That said, in my experience they are excellent motorcycles for the kind of relaxed, mellow riding they are designed for. I rode my Nomad up to Americade from SW Connecticut a couple of weeks ago, and it was a complete pleasure. I arrived relaxed and comfortable (and even pretty dry behind the big windshield, considering the intermittent rain I hit). I enjoyed leisurely cruising around the area all weekend, and had a great ride back on Monday in perfect conditions. On the big bike I could sit back and enjoy the countryside rolling by at a pace conducive to contemplation of the beauties of the trip.

I have a couple of other bikes more suited to a different type of riding, but sometimes, the big Vulcan is just the tool of choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 1500FI Classic a couple of years ago that I performed the air, exhaust, & FI mods to. If I remember correctly it resulted in ~65hp & 85lb/ft to the rear wheel. Anything beyond those basic mods are really not cost effective. As others have stated, you're not going to turn the Nomad into a rocket. I personally found the loud pipe to be irriating. If you haven't done so already, see if you can find someone in your area with a modded bike & see if he'd be willing to let you try it. Two great places to check are www.cruisercustomizing.com and the Vulcan forum at www.delphiforums.com. The Delphi Forum is a MUST for any Vulcan owner. My Vulcan is pictured on Cruiser Customizing under "RAQ1025". Good Luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's probably easier to lose weight to gain more punch than it would be to increase HP. I am a firm believer that fooling around with ECU FI and the intake track is an invitation to mega $$$ and mega trouble, probably resulting in eventually returning to the well mannered stock system. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in the market for a "new to me cruiser" a few years back and test drove a 2000 nomad. It was a very nice ride. And probally fast enough for me. Then I drove the Valkyrie and I could not get over how fun it was to twist that throttle and have those six carbs feed those six cylinders. Well, I bought the Valk. I still like the Nomad, though. I probally would have bought the Nomad if this particular one was fuel injected.

Dave

·
Registered
140 Posts
Strip all the weight off,change the exhaust system,fit differant cams,high comp pistons etc.

In other words its not worth the time ,cost and effort.At the end of the day its still a Vulcan cruiser.Its like trying to turn a Yam R1 sports bike into a duel purpose Adventurer,whats the point?

·
Registered
295 Posts
No matter what you do, you can't change the nature of the thing that much. As others have noted, it is a cruiser, meant to cruise. It is too heavy to really have the minor performance mods you can do make much difference. It has limited handling capabilities. You can spend thousands on it, and an FZ1 will still have you for lunch with plenty of room for a fat tip. Or try any of the sport touring bikes. They're all day comfortable, handle and will outrun any cruiser regardless of the mods. Cruisers are fun, but they are geldings and sewing the nuts back on won't make it a stallion.

Francis

·
Registered
31 Posts
First of all, ignore the squids who rate a bike by it's lap times in some magazine article when they can't get within 5 seconds of it themselves, although they are right about not being able to make a rocket out of a sled.

Next, check out these 2 websites:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

and

http://www.ridethatbike.com

You'll find some useful info on what you can do and what you can expect if you make the mods. Remember, it's about enjoying your ride not being the fastest ride around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.