Motorcycle Forums banner

100,000 Miles!

28K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  sarnali2 
#1 ·
There are plenty of brands and models of bikes that can go 100k and beyond. What is uncommon are the ones that get to demonstrate it. Most bikes sit idle most of the time.

#2 ·
There is nothing remarkable about a motorcycle going 100,000+ miles.

With the solid engineering and highly refined lubricants available why shouldn't a motorcycle go the distance?

Neglect and abuse will shorten the life of any vehicle; those who care will most likely see that figure irregardless of the marque.

That is if they hang on to their ride long enough.

#3 ·
The above comments nowithstanding, congratz on your 100k. It is a milestone, a bit for the bike, but more for you.

Even more than the miles though, are the memories you've gathered in those miles.

Enjoy the next 100k!

#4 ·
It is still a bit of a thrill to watch the odometer reset - well, come to think of it, some newer bikes (my BMW comes to mind) have million mile odometers. Now rolling one of those over would be a REAL accomplishment!

I recall quite vividly the day my Suzuki GSX 1100G rolled over (replacements up to that point were steering head bearings, new carburetors, and new fork seals - and the usual lubricants, tires, etc.). The odo was mostly 9's when I left for work - 65 miles one way. Just as the odo reset, I happened to see a California State Patrolman sitting on his Kawasaki on an overpass, watching traffic. I felt a burning need to tell SOMEBODY, so I pulled off the freeway, pulled up beside him, and pointed to the odometer. He said something to the effect that he doubted his Kawi would go that far.

#6 ·
Congratulations on 100,000 miles. I've met a lot of motorcyclists in 35 years of riding but none of them have racked up 100,000 miles on the same bike. Of course, I'm from the prairies of the Great White North (Canada) and we do have a shorter riding season.

I believe you're one a very small group of people. Hope you're having fun!

#11 ·
Well done - for putting up with an original seat for 100,000 mi :)

Downunder we use SI distance so I had a smile to my self when I recently turned over 100,000 km on my 01 Sprint ST. In that time Ive changed tyres, oil (I use desiel now), filters, one set of chains and sprockets, ignition system (broken internal wire) and 1 clutch cable. To celerbrate the achievement I bought a Corbin seat and some heated grips... I should have done it 100,000km ago!! :) but didnt want to spend money - just in case I didnt like the bike... fool!

I love riding it - and look fwd to another 100,000 km... When it does die I wont sell it (like someone will really want it)- just store it and get the bike that will take me into my 40s and 50s..

#14 ·
A couple years ago I sold my '87 Shadow 1100 that had a tit more than 100K. Aside from normal wear items the shocks, suspension bushings, forks, stator, water pump, were all that was replaced or repaired. Very minor price for a nearly 20 year old bike.

#20 ·
I've been running Metzeler ME880s. They are "touring" tires, so they're not as soft and sticky as crotch rocket rubber and thus last a lot longer. They're a vast improvement over the factory-supplied Bridgestones, which were noisy, slippery, and hard as a rock (often referred to as Flintstones).

#26 ·
BWAHAHA!!! I would love an FJR or something similar, but they are just too much $$ for me to justify. What sucks now is my girlfriend is liking riding with me more and more and I REALLY don't like riding with a passenger. I'm hoping she takes the MSF course and gets her own bike.

If she does that I was thinking of adding a Buell to the stable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.