Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that longride is off for a while Sean is going to keep the old pot stirred.

Good job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Earth to H-D . . .

. . . come in H-D . . .

I don't ever recall seeing an H-D ad on MO. I saw a V-Rod commercial on a WNBA game a month or two back though. A F'in WNBA GAME!!! As a former ad exec, I can't help paying attention to these things. I was rolling! How the hell did those rocket scientists come to the conclusion that there were more potential Hog buyers watching a WNBA game than reading MO? Are they going after the six-foot tall lesbian target demographic or something?

I can only conclude that KPaul is somehow involved in this lunacy.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: Earth to H-D . . .

"I can only conclude that KPaul is somehow involved in this lunacy" Why thank you sir. "Yes we need women, six-foot tall lesbian target demographic , on V-Rods" I said to Willie and he agreed. :) You're funny dude

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Classic Burns

"Willie G's story really is a classic fairy tale. Born a prince, he nearly lost the kingdom before prevailing over long odds at the last minute to win it back again--through clean living, hard work, the love of a good woman and a band of loyal merry men. "

This why I subscribe to MO. Great Review.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Actually, the ad space buyers are a little more clever than the WNBA fiasco would lead you to believe. There have been plenty of ads for Buell here on MO. Eric Buell has ideas that are at least interesting, if not completely convincing, to the "typical" MOReader, and I think the ad buyers are smart enough to know that we'll look at the ads.

Willy G. seems to have a knack for coming up with designs that appeal to the leather fringe and chrome and life-saving pipe crowd. For better or worse, he leaves the sporty stuff to Buell.

As I type this, it occurs that in my eyes, and I'm sure those of many other folks here, Eric Buell and Pierre Terblanche come up with ideas and products that interest us here - whether we like 'em or hate 'em. Mainstream Harleys don't arouse much excitement, by and large, certainly not compared with what Ducati and Buell are up to.

While Willie G's book has early racers, judging from the photos. I wonder if the book even mentions Cal Rayborn, the best pavement racer Harley ever had, and by all accounts the equal of Hailwood, Roberts, Nixon and the best of the current crop. But I somehow doubt that invoking Rayborn's name would sell many twin cam 88's, or even Buells, for that matter.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Maybe H-D found the demographic of viewers of the WNBA to be similar to one they are trying to reach. I really don’t know who watches the WNBA but it appears to be teenaged girls, their mothers and a few guys who think it is a valid sport for women.

H-D doesn’t have to market to those; "If you have to ask you wouldn’t understand." folks. They are looking for riders of other brands as well as potential riders. As a former ad exec I’m sure you can understand that point.

With regards to this: "…come to the conclusion that there were more potential Hog buyers watching a WNBA game than reading MO?" My wife rides a Harley Road Glide now and she only reads MO when I want to show her something. (No offense MO, she thinks it’s silly and I’m silly for being a part of it.) She does however watch TV and when she saw the woman riding the V-Rod in that financial commercial on Discovery channel she pointed it out.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Dude,

That was way too thoughtful a deconstruction of H-D's market strategy for a guy named "TatdNPrcd"! Willie G, is that you?

BTW kudos to Mrs. TatdNPrcd, both for having the gumption to pilot a Road Glide and for recognizing what a silly bunch of buffoons we all are!

Upon further consideration, I wouldn't say that six foot tall lesbians aren't a viable target of opprtunity for H-D. I've seen more than a few now that I think about it. Somehow though, I can't see too many teen aged girls and their Moms rushing out to drop $17K on a V-Rod.

For what it's worth, MO is merely the biggest and best motorcycle website going, and might be a higher priority on their marketing to do list than running commercials on WNBA games. Is this really a debateable point, or did I smoke too much crack during my "Robert Downey Jr. era"?

·
Registered
162 Posts

"Are they going after the six-foot tall lesbian target demographic or something?"

Yes.

Not sure about the 6-foot part, but I've seen many of 'em rid'n the 'ol hogs around.

Harleys are great bikes for short people you know.....plus they vibrate a lot ;)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

The image of six foot tall lesbanians on vibrating Harleys is strangly appealing don't you think? maybe thats why they can't ride very well, lack of focus. Congrats to Harley, 100 years is 100 years, Alot of other companys have fell by the wayside while Harley keeps chugging along.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Personally I am glad the 'six foot tall lesbians' are riding Harley's! Keeps them away from the Beemers....finally......

(That's a joke folks, I ride both. No not lesbains and straight women you MOrons, Harleys and BMWs)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Please God make it stop.....

So it's HD's 100th anniversary, huh? Wow. Great.

I've heard/read/seen this crap so much in the last six months I want to vomit. There has to be something else going on in MOtorcycle-dom other than 100yrsHD/new600s.......for the love of God, man! Find a new topic!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.