Motorcycle Forums banner

18 In A Row

16K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  captainwhoopass 
#1 ·
For the love of God, buy Indian! [first post]

#5 ·
Awesome. I'm really glad that Harley has made record profits by selling $25 t-shirts to people going through mid-life crises.

Perhaps it is the same crisis that prompts the people who buy these machines to ride without adequate safety gear.

Much like beanie babies, the value of a Harley is based purely on some delusional group-think phenomenon. How else could it be that a brand of retro-styled bikes can offer substandard performance, stale looks, and still sell for a premium?

Imagine the same concept for automobile production. Ford decides to redesign its entire model lineup to reflect the technology and features of the 1965 Galaxie, right down to the lap belts, drum brakes, vinyl, and crappy gas mileage. All this can be yours for a price that's 40% higher than the price of a new Corvette...?

No thanks, H-D. I'll save my nostalgia money for retirement.

#6 ·
Re: USA-1

18 years of double-digit growth is fantastic, I wish I'd have bought stock in them in the eighties when it was cheap, It's nice too see them going for MSRP again too though I guess that was more a dealership issue than anything else.

Of note was the " continuous steam of exciting new motorcycles" I wonder what that was alluding too?

Are they expanding on the V-Rod line? are they responding to Triumph's Rocket 111 with a Quad-cam 230?

Since the core baby boomer market is moving on to golf carts and attends are they taking Kpaul's advice and *****-canning twins in favor of inline four standards?

Inquiring minds want to know!

#7 ·
Re: Umm...

I guessing you haven't seen the $40k T-birds that are flying off Ford lots? Or the Chrysler PT cruisers, or the new Chevy pick-up? While these all have modern brakes, suspensions and electronics as do both Harley's and Triumph's, the retro styling is big bucks in the automotive as well as Motor-sicle industries right now.

#12 ·
7 Dwarfs

99.9% of members of this online magazine make thoughtful and insightful posts to articles/reviews that interest them but there are a few who are not so insightful or profound; Seruzawa, Sarnali, Longride, captainwhoopass, electraglider_1997, TatdNPrcd, aknopak and Buzglyd are the most proficient of Posers.

Look at the posts for this article about H-D 18 years of record profits and you will see that at least half of the posts are from one of them. At first I thought I could reason with them, "I have a dream analogy" on hindsight, judging from there response to it and there continued posting was like trying to teach a pig to sing, it only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

I’m of the opinion that the only way to deal with idiots like this is with humor. I was thinking first of using the 3 Stooges in trying to categorize them; Larry (Longride), Curley (Buzgld) and Moe (captainwhoopass) but there are too many to pare it down to only Three Stooges. So I think a better analogy would be Snow White and the 7 dwarfs; reference to dwarfs is in regard to there posts and Snow White as a symbol of the American Motor Company they hold so long and dear; she’s been in a long slumber (no worth while engineering advances in the past 50 years). The 7 dwarfs long have suffered and they can be forgiven for there inability to see Snow White for what she really is but at least they have 18 years of record profit.

I had a hard time deciding which one best represents Dopey and Grumpy and none could really be called Happy but here my best stab at the list for the 7 Dwarfs;

Longride as Dopey, Seruzawa as Grumpy, Buzglyd as Sleepy, Electraglider_1997 as Bashful, Captainwhoopass as Doc, Sarnali as Happy and TatdNPrcd as Sneezy.

#14 ·
Re: USA-1

I was hoping Gen X would can the entire HD thing. That SportBikes would come the fore. I think it may still happen. I don't believe we suffer from the nostalgia thing like boomers do. I think sportbike sales have been on the rise VS cruiser sales over the past 10 years. Boomers are leaving the peak buying years and Gen X has entered them, but we are roughly 2/3 their numbers which skews straight line stats.

Anyway, if HD does not build some quality sportbikes over the next 10 years their sales will probably tank.

#16 ·
Senator McCain slams Bush gives him poor grades for economy, budget

VAN SUSTEREN: Are you suggesting that the Republican Party is now the big spenders?

MCCAIN: Yes. I am suggesting that the party that -- in the 1994 campaign, on the "Contract With America," one of the first items was a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution. I say all that has disappeared, and I deeply regret it.

Senator McCain slams Bush gives him poor grades for economy, budget

#25 ·
Fracking Funny Best Post of the Year so far.

LOL ATFL. "At first I thought I could reason with them, "I have a dream analogy" on hindsight, judging from there response to it and there continued posting was like trying to teach a pig to sing, it only frustrates you and annoys the pig." Been there Brother.

Keep it up. Thanks for making my day.

#26 ·
Buz I think I see a trend here

All these guys are saying the same thing I have been saying. However, everytime they say it you think it is me. Now who is delusional??? I think you do know something about mental illness and I think maybe it is time for you to check back in to the clinic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.