Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Just what I was thinking, with his "package" surely he couldn't have gotten into a good racing tuck (Jockey style maybe?). This guys about as impressive as they come. Maybe Burt Rutan will be remembered for as broad a range of contributions and accomplishment in Aviation but then he doesn't Design, Build and Fly/Ride his creations. Curtiss (and Doolittle) put a lot more than their money where their mouth was.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I would guess in the range of 60-65 HP to the ground (zero wind). I have no doubt that the bicycle racer did his best to get out of the winds way (is that a chin pad on the tank?). The sand gets hard there but it's hard to imagine that they had the traction of pavement, kind of like Bonneville. Must have been quite a sight and sound.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If this was the case then wouldn't Big Twins be amoung the fastest bikes? As I understand it Torque is a force where HP is a measure of work being done (or capability). 1,000,000 ft/lbs of torque and 1 HP can only do 1 HP of work. Sportbike pilot? I would like some clarification here.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've been biting my tongue but now I speak. This is not directed personally at you pdad13 I repect your right to voice your opinions. We are 5% of the Worlds population. The vast majority of the World thinks what we did was wrong, to include the people of the U.K. our only Major ally on this ill-advised, ill-planned and ill-executed fiasco. The majority of this Country, now, for the first time believe that the invasion was wrong and that we are now less safe than before the invasion. Does it matter what the World thinks of us? Only if we are interested in travel (I am), only if we are interested in our economy, only if we are interested in living without terrorism (which of course will never happen as long as somebody is willing to die to address a perceived injustice or wrong, remember the Boston Tea party? the Molly Macguires?) The fact is one of the major reasons stated for going to "War" (undeclared and as successful as all of our undeclared "Wars" have been) was the WMD. As John Dean pointed out the reference to WMD was pulled out of an Administration speech on Sep 02 by the CIA which stated that the evidence was unreliable. How did it show up in the State of the Union Speech in Jan 03? Could we have justified the Iraq War as a "War on Terrorism" without WMD and the discredited (Pre-War by the CIA) connections to Bin Laden? When Bill lied people didn't die. I'll not get into my beliefs now beyond the obvious (to me at least). The Iraq War was started by a man that ignored foreign policy until his miserable domestic policies (millions less jobs than when he took office, think Great Depression) forced him to look elsewhere to bolster his "Presidency", a good war has always helped the old approval ratings, at least initially. We have killed thousands of inocent people. Our troops are dying. We may have gone from Millions hating us to Billions. We have spent BILLIONS!!! At least we have the love and devotion of the People our Troops died to liberate? At least we have the "Patroit Act" ( by God don't tell GW where the word "Patriot" comes from or the Statue of Liberty!). My favorite loosely quoted Bushism, "Our main problem with the French is that they have no word for "Entrepreneur". Flame on! Or in the words of our "Illustrious Leader" "Bring it on!"

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Your point is well taken. It must be remembered that Bonneville is relatively high altitude and normally aspirated engine produce significantly less than sea-level HP there.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Re: Big jugs...

I maintain, regardless of HOW big the displacement, HOW much torgue it has, an engine can do no more work than the HP it produces. Look at the torque figures of the Harleys, certainly more than adequate for street duty and beloved by their riders for it but not NEARLY fast as a new 600 which has far less torque but far more HP (other than the V-ROD). And another thing, what makes you think that a thirties German 23 liter Aircraft engine wouldn't have repectible HP? At least as necessary to make a car go fast? I think you're trying to break the law, of Physics.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I agree with much of what is said here (by you and others) and disagree with parts as well. If you watch Michael Moores new film, I'm sure you've heard about it, it may put some things in a different light, particularly in regards to the "why does everyone pretend everything was more or less cuddly with our Arab friends". It's interesting to me that the "Right" doesn't seem to be calling it false. It seems to me that a lot of people are dying (or worse) and a lot of rich people (well clear of harms way) are getting richer. For some reason both things ***** me off. Strategically I think the aims were to place a Military base there and to "Westernize" the Middle East creating Billions of happy little consumers to buy our products, I like to think of it as "Aggressive Capitalism". Our "Oil Industry" White House may have had a passing thought about the second largest known Oil reserve in the World... I think the People of Iraq (and the Middle East) will reject all of that, demand our departure as soon as their general election occurs (if ever), deeply hate us (even more!) for Generations and provide manpower and money to our True Enemies on a scale far beyond what would have ever happened under Sadam. I hope to be wrong. Is this the REAL"Plan"? Is it a coincidence that well over a decade after the "Cold Wars" end the only Superpower left in the World continues to spend more on Defense that ever? If we're not at "War" we could spend less on Defense right? Is that "Military-Industrial Complex" stuff BS? I think the Government itself is reaching critical mass, "Everybody for everyone in the Government being Millionaires say "I"!".

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I believe that our relations with the Israelis are and have been at the heart of the U.S.'s problems in the Middle East lately (other than that Iraq thing, of course that Shah of Iran stuff and the like didn't win us many friends there in the past). The Israelis and the Palestinians remind me of the Hatfields and McCoys, hopefully they can soon gain the wisdom these "Hillbillys" achieved over a hundred years ago. I support Israels right to exist and thrive, the Jewish People have a place in my heart. I do believe that if peace and security were their true goals it could be achieved by giving up the Palestinians land. I don't buy these "Security Concerns". The Israelis have demonstrated repeatedly that they can kick the entire Middle Easts A$$ (without resorting to the "Bomb", which only they have there), the Palestinians are no more a threat to them than Mexico (or Cuba) is to us. Build a wall around all of Israel if you want. I consider myself to be an amateur student of History, as far as the U.S. position should be, two things seem very clear, Don't Invade Russia, Don't mess around with (try to force influence on) the Middle East. Gentlemen (vww/pdad) a pleasure, should we find ourselves together I got first round, if we start to talk politics... so be it :). PS Whew had to unload some this this stuff!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts