Motorcycle Forums banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've been biting my tongue but now I speak. This is not directed personally at you pdad13 I repect your right to voice your opinions. We are 5% of the Worlds population. The vast majority of the World thinks what we did was wrong, to include the people of the U.K. our only Major ally on this ill-advised, ill-planned and ill-executed fiasco. The majority of this Country, now, for the first time believe that the invasion was wrong and that we are now less safe than before the invasion. Does it matter what the World thinks of us? Only if we are interested in travel (I am), only if we are interested in our economy, only if we are interested in living without terrorism (which of course will never happen as long as somebody is willing to die to address a perceived injustice or wrong, remember the Boston Tea party? the Molly Macguires?) The fact is one of the major reasons stated for going to "War" (undeclared and as successful as all of our undeclared "Wars" have been) was the WMD. As John Dean pointed out the reference to WMD was pulled out of an Administration speech on Sep 02 by the CIA which stated that the evidence was unreliable. How did it show up in the State of the Union Speech in Jan 03? Could we have justified the Iraq War as a "War on Terrorism" without WMD and the discredited (Pre-War by the CIA) connections to Bin Laden? When Bill lied people didn't die. I'll not get into my beliefs now beyond the obvious (to me at least). The Iraq War was started by a man that ignored foreign policy until his miserable domestic policies (millions less jobs than when he took office, think Great Depression) forced him to look elsewhere to bolster his "Presidency", a good war has always helped the old approval ratings, at least initially. We have killed thousands of inocent people. Our troops are dying. We may have gone from Millions hating us to Billions. We have spent BILLIONS!!! At least we have the love and devotion of the People our Troops died to liberate? At least we have the "Patroit Act" ( by God don't tell GW where the word "Patriot" comes from or the Statue of Liberty!). My favorite loosely quoted Bushism, "Our main problem with the French is that they have no word for "Entrepreneur". Flame on! Or in the words of our "Illustrious Leader" "Bring it on!"

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
(Very relevant comment about the 1907 Curtiss V-8 record bike): The resentment of west started under European rule? Hey there must have been at least some resentment during the bloody years of the crusaders.

However, the Yankees cannot wash their hands from this silliness either as they were Europeans those days. Plus, they probably chopped more muslim heads as they always need to be so damn competitive.

There you are, the gringos are to be blamed for everything.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Whaddaya mean there are others to gain from this mess? You think the Frenchies could go in there without their b*lls being shot off?

- cruiz-euro

>P.S. Is is possible that someone actually

>hates Sweden?

Ask anybody from Norway or Finland

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Yes pbad was a typo sorry about that. If I ever start using Kpaul's material please be so kind as to seek me out and euthanise me.

I see that mile eater correctly asserted that the "police actions" you mentioned were in fact all illegal, wether tacitly approved of by congress of not. Just because "we" allowed this type of criminal stupidity in the past, it is not a valid reason for sentient beings to let these type of actions go unchallenged now or in the future.

Karen Kwiatowski was just the canary in the coal mine, as her ACCURATE assessment of the doctoring of intel for pro war propaganda purposes have been upheld by a barage of former insiders of the current administration. I am surprised that anyone could come to the conclusion that the Bush team was on the up and up after numerous experts, including Dr. Gordon Prather one of our country's formost atomic physicists, showed what rediculous canards the much ballyhooed Niger yellow cake uranium, and the aluminum centrifuge tubes really were.

It is quite interesting that you would invoke Saddam's non-cooperation of UN mandates as a ligitimate causus belli, and then point out that the UN had a vested interest in the Iraqi status quo. Of couse my opinion is that the corrupt UN should be immediately abolished, just as I feel that the criminal element in our nations capital should be expunged. VWW

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If we had only killed and maimed the bad guys in Iraq, we wouldn't have the term "collateral damage" used in most of the major and some of the minor actions taken during this war. While it may be true that neihter Bush nor Clinton wanted innocent people killed, the plain fact is that their actions resulted in the death of a lot of innocents being killed. Captain, If you or I accidentally killed even one person in some ill concieved action, what do you think that the ramifications would be for us? Shouldn't we hold our "elected" officials to that same standard? VWW

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The constitution was written in plain language for the basic reason that no other interpretation was ever to take the place of this concisely worded document. Our forefathers had a justly deserved fear of too powerful a government, and took great pains to eliminate any wiggle room in the constitutions meaning. Just read the Federalist Papers, and you will find that James Madison, the father of our constitution meant just that. The various and often creative penumbras found by our judicially active supreme court are further evidence that our government run schools have taken intelligent folks, such as yourself, and made them belive this interpretive meaning drivel. VWW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can a 35 to 40 horsepower very wide motocycle

go 130 mph. I was watching speed trials

at the salt flats and the top speed for a 175cc

two stroke was around 130mph and it had a small

frontal area fairing for low wind resistance.

175cc engine should be capable of over 50 hp

but have much less air resistance.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Of course! My only contention is that I have yet to see evidence of any innocent people killed by our soldiers in Iraq. My understanding of the situation is that the innocents have been killed by the suicide bombers.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
While most of the "collateral damage" in Iraq was due to bombing and artillery quite a few were killed by mistake by individual soldiers in fear for their lives. That blood is on our hands. VWW

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Cubic inches (or yards) = speed

Once again...

What you have here is a giant low-rpm (low stress) aircraft type engine, running about 5 to 1 compression, geared to the moon.

It might only put out 40 hp, but by virture of it's immense size (400 cubic inches), can propel an un-faired bicycle type vehicle at the speeds listed.

Curtiss made a water-cooled version of this V8, called the OX, for aircraft applications. It displaced 500 cubic inches, and put out around 100 hp.

Count Louis Zbrowski used this formula much the same way with his race car Chitty One (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang), by mounting a 23 litre Maybach Zeppelin motor, in a chain-driven Mercedes chassis.

"Babs" broke all kinds of speed records around 1910 at Pendine Sand, Wales. The car eventually killed Parry Thomas (a famous land speed record holder of the time), when the chain came off, and wrapped around his neck, at about 120 mph. What a way to go.

Size has a virtue all its own.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If a soldier is in fear for his life... scratch that... if anyone is in fear for their life, and they kill someone to prevent their own death... I have no problem with that. Least of all a soldier in a war zone.

Considering how much more humane war is now, compared to say, wwII or Korea, I really don't worry about iraqi citizens.

The trouble over there is simple. We're trying to build one nation, where there exists 3 seperate cultures and peoples with 3 wholly incompatible lifestyles, cultures, and beliefs systems. It's the kind of country that could only be held together by brutal force.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The soldiers I was refering too weren't in danger of losing their lives. They mistakenly shot some people that weren't the bad guys. If I'm in fear for my life, does that give me the right to start shooting at everyone in my neighborhood? VWW

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Big jugs...

Yeah, but that would have to be, a couple of really BIG cylinders, to get 400 cu.in. And don't forget, you have to factor in the weight deal.

One thing odd, take a good look at the motor. Where is the crankcase? You'd think, with 400 cubes, that'd have to be one big mutha spinning around down there. And it doesn't look like a dry-sump...

Look close, those big jugs are just grafted on the case, with nothing underneath. Goofy.

BTW, Curtiss Aviation OX V-8 from looks the same, except for the water cooling.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Well, isn't it obvious that the U.N. usually plays both sides against the middle? The U.N. resolution was watered down to allow wiggle room and the interminable delay in enforcement. This type of obfuscation is a hallmark of all bureaucratic organizations. "Let's give everyone a little bit of what they want, and nothing will change." The difference is that this time, someone called them on it. Whether it was right or wrong is a matter of opinion, but the U.N. most certianly didn't bank on us taking action.

As far as the Bush team was concerned, I've already stated that I think they were overly optimistic in interpreting intel. Do I think they lied outright? No. Do I think certain members extrapolated conclusions from incomplete intel and sold it as solid info. Yes, I do. Is that wrong? Of course. I'm not happy about it, either.

But also remember that there were plenty of "experts," including U.N. weapons inspectors, who believed that Saddam was hiding WMD. Plus his evasiveness certainly only added fuel to the fire.

But, to insist, as some do, that the administration knew that they would find no WMD, seems to me an error in logic. Would they invite all of this scrutiny and embarrassment upon the Bush adminsitration and the nation as a whole by knowingly invading a country under false pretenses and then have to admit that they were wrong? Or worse, that they lied. For what reason? Please don't give me the "war for oil" argument (I know you're smarter than that). I find that whole line of thinking simple-minded and ridiculous. If we were only interested in oil we would have been playing ball with Saddam, not trying to remove him. It would have been a hell of a lot cheaper, too.

Believe it or not, I, like you, happen to think both parties suck. Government is way too big and the American public is being duped into thinking that more government is better. When you look at the facts, more government is usually a disaster.

The U.N.? Well, I think it's next to useless. The only thing it does reasonably well is provide humanitarian aid. How anyone can think that a world organization with democratic values can work when many of the member nations are ruled by thugs is beyond me.

Anyway, on a related note, read John Stossel's book, Give Me a Break, if you haven't already. It's no literary masterpiece, but you'll love it. It will also make you very mad.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Big jugs...

Oops, sorry, 244 c.i. Had my calculator set to stun.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.