Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife finally gave me permission to buy a motorcycle...after 8 years of "convincing" I'm now so excited it's difficult to not outright wet myself. I've been the passenger on a motorcycle twice many years ago and I've wanted one of my own ever since.

I've never driven any kind of motorcycle before, so I'm a bit leery about buying something too big to handle. I'm 6'3" and 145 lbs. soaking wet so I don't want to buy something that will drive me more than I drive it.

All that being said, my question is this. I've found a 1973 Honda CB500/Four for sale and I'd like to know if this is a good bike to start with. I'm not interested in a crotch-rocket, nor will I ever ride off-road, and I'm pretty sure a giant "hog" is not a good choice for a beginner like myself.

Also, is there anywhere online that has a price guide where I can look up a "blue book" price for this bike? Kelly Blue Book and NADA don't have a listing for it.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
With the proper MSF training under your belt, I don't see why that shouldn't be a proper first motorcycle - just big-enough to kill you if you disrespect it, not strong-enough to kill you if you pay-attention to what you (and those around you) are doing.

And, it'll be a learning experience - a moto that old is certain to have flaws and the occasional breakdown. Even a well cared-for example will likely to be crusty-enough to make servicing "interesting".

Buy an Impact Driver. Those tin-plated soft-as-lead engine-case-screws will never come out otherwise.

Seriously.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Can't you talk the wife into letting you buy something that's a little newer and more reliable?

I don't think a 35 year old motorcycle is a good starter bike no matter how small.

I've got a 1979 RD400 for sale! ;-)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
cb500 4? Yikes. Many parts are discontinued. Good luck keeping an even perfect specimen running. The bike was never popular even when new. The CB450 was faster and the CB750 didn't cost much more.

Don't believe any "rare" or "collector's item" BS. This is a turkey for an inexperienced rider. Most shops will never touch a bike that old.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Try to find a mid 90's or newer CB750 Nighthawk. They were cheap as chips new and unless the P.O. was a total moron should be reliable as a brick, very controllable power and decent handling, nice and light weight. For your height it should work out well. I'd also recommend passing on the '73.....

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
That CB500 was near indestructable. Go for it, a little big for a first bike, but nice and tame. Watch out for seized disc brakes & bad timing chain tensoners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.