Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
DING-DING-DING-DING!!!!!!!

I freakin' KNEW that someone was gonna say it!

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Better yet: take the springs that are in there - use a screwdriver between each coil (or some other means) to "expand" the springs. Cover a cookiesheet with foil and then "bake" them at 350deg F for 4 hours in your oven to re-anneal them (it goes without saying to clean them thoroughly if you'd like to use the oven again for food).

Whilst it's apart, take the clutch STEELS (noting which order they came apart) and toss 'em down on a flat sidewalk. Use your foot to move them around, "scuffing" the surface of each side. The coarser the better. Don't overdo it, just get the surface good and scratched-up. Clean these thoroughly, re-assemble with clean engine oil in the reverse order, with your newly-annealed springs.

Button back up with a thin bead of Yamabond or Hondabond (hylomar) sealant.

There you have it - Zero Dollar clutch rebuild. (you should already have the hylomar in your toolbox. WhaAAAT? You say you DON'T? Why not?)

·
Registered
11,491 Posts

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
You think that I'm joking about that technique?

It seems to be pretty common amongst moto-cross racers; it's been related to me by three different people (but only one suggested the spring-annealing trick).

I admit, I have yet to actually try it. BUT, I fully-intend to use it next time I have a bike with a "soft clutch". (actually, I have one that's softening-up a bit right now, and will likely employ this method early this summer)

I'd say it's no less-valid than enlarging the openings around the pressure-plate springs. If Honda had wanted them bigger, they'd have made them so at the Factory, right?

I'll report-back on my success (or lack therof) soon enough.

P.S. Those of you who change your own tyres: If you don't have a Mojo-Lever tyre bar, WHY THE HELL DON'T YOU?!!!! That thing is FAN-tastic!

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Hey Yossef this post kind of proves my point on the typical anti facts and data moron.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Sometimes, a Man's gotta Do who a Man's gotta Do.......

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Re: Pep Boys Pure as frigging Gold

Best Wishes from the Creech family, as well.

Although I cannot fathom being injured in the way you have, I know some of what you'll be going-through - Sep. 2002 my Wife crashed hard. Although it was "merely" (compared to your own injuries) a broken humeral-head and damage to the socket (amongst other things), she's only now gotten to ~90% of her full-function back.

It is, indeed, a long row to hoe. My Wife and I empathize with the pain and anguish you will go through, but also know something of the many triumphs you will experience as well.

We wish you Well. You will be back before you know it.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
He might be Your friend, but he's not mine............

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Re: I apologize

Roses are Red,

Violets are Blue.

I'm Schizophrenic.....

(And so am I!)

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
I ride about 450-miles a week in my commute, alone. Saturday was a "wrenchin' day", Sunday I spent with my Wife (with short-excursions to the 'Net to poke a stick at El Socko).

You know, "The Ozarks"? Only place curvier is Deal's Gap - oh, wait: that's another place you know all about, yet have never been to see (as a sock-puppet - the current socko-master may or may not have been, I dunno).

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
"How many miles did you guys ride this weekend? I am sure not many... big talkers..."

Oooh, he's got us, don't he?

Because, if we're not posting our miles, routes, and time spent riding on a daily basis - we must not be, eh?

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Re: ...

I confess, my bike isn't what I've represented it to be, either.

I've been called-out of the Saloon, and found cowering beneath the Bar...........

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Nah, more like scrubbing a hemorrhoid with a 3/4-hp grinder and a steel cup-brush.

It only feels good when you stop........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts