Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
One Word...Torque

As a Bueller I gotta tell ya, 85 lb/ft at the rear wheel between 2000-7000 RPM is a hell of a lot of fun. 150 lb/ft without having to rev it to 12 grand sounds good to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why not a V4?

I gotta problem with the geometry here...reducing the linear dimensions by a factor of 2 will reduce volume by a factor of 8.

So you'd get a 50 cubic inch engine...you're not gonna get those HP and torque numbers with an engine like that without some serious revs.

Why not just chop off the four rear cylinders? I'm not sure you'll get 1/2 the power from a V8 that's 1/2 the size of the original. you still have the same number of friction surfaces for one thing... (Kevin Cameron where are you when we need you?)

But cutting the motor in half will maintain 1/2 the power and torque for sure , assuming you can tune the intake and exhaust sufficiently, and it'll weigh 1/2 as much. It's size would be 15x30x30 though, pretty hefty for an ordinary bike but what the hell.. go for it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
From what I have seen of Boss Hosses they do lurch a bit to the left at idle when you give it a good blip. It's a troque reaction to accelerating a heavy crank. That could be a problem in a tight left with stuff dragging on the ground. I dont think a 200CI V4 is gonna be in a sportbike anyway.

I bet if you watch the crank weight it wouldnt be a problem. For what I know those Hoss motors are straight out of your daddy's pickup with heavy cranks designed to keep the motor running smooth with all manner of accesories belted to it.

... of course you could mount it across the frame like a VF(R).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts