Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Glad to see that, after 15 years, I can finally sell my '86 1100 for a new one that's not fat and bloated like they have been for the last few years. It's great to see Suzuki finally go back to their ORIGINAL formula of light=right. Way to go. Just in time, If not for inflated dealer markup and unavailability, I might have bought an R1. Anybody in the market for a used classic?

P.S To you wankers that don't like/are afraid of the BIG BAD SUZUKI; blow me. By the way, who won the AMA Superbike (2 years in a row), Supersport, and 500GP riders championship this year?

·
Registered
154 Posts
To those that say 99% of the owners will never be able to use more than 75% of the capabilities of the latest-and-greatest sportbike, and that a much better rider on a bad bike will still beat you, I agree. To those that say more squids will now be able to shorten the time between ZOOM! and SPLAT!, I also agree. BUT....having better equipment doesn't make you a better rider per se, but ALLOWS you to ride better, and is a better tool to TRAIN you to be a better rider. Also, for 2 riders of equal ability, the one on the better bike will be faster and safer. And if the riders are of similar talent (one a little better than the other), but differing levels of bike, that may be enough to allow the inferior rider to be faster. I like to ride hard, but for fun, and am not interested in "racing" anyone out in the twisties. I would always like to have the better bike, because, riding within my self-imposed limits, there will be more of a safety cushion if something goes wrong. I suspect most people would feel this way. Besides, riding a bike with lower limits than the rider isn't fun, and doesn't push you to try and become a better rider, to try and fully explore and learn your personal and the bike's limits.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would like to be faster, but with the same % of effort and adrenaline. If, on my old bike, I'm comfortable (by comfortable I mean MENTALLY) at a 60MPH average through a certain route, then I would like to be as comfortable doing 65, or 70 with the new bike. The better, easier-to-ride machine leaves more room for error at the same pace, or the same room at an elevated pace. Nobody ever claimed my '86 (with those 18" wheels) steered lightly, unless you compared it with the open bikes of the time. Against today's bikes, it steers as heavy as a truck, but it's stable and solid.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: Outriding your bike

It spit him off and ended his career, didn't it? Also, same thing happened to Foggy, Rainey, Joey Dunlop, and Schwantz also. I don't believe the rider is the Master all the time, forever. Most of the Greats of our recent generation have had career-ending injuries. The greats of the bygone eras were, sadly, usually killed instead. I also tend to think that, imperfect beings that we are, will never truly ever be able to extract 100% of the machines capabilities 100% of the time. It's just that, with the greats, they get 100% most of the time, or 99% all of the time, which is closer than most of us will ever get.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does Honda pay "most industry mags" for this hype, or what? 10 pounds up from the GSXR-750 for the new 1000 makes your Fireblade the SECOND lightest, SECOND flickable, SECOND braking bike here. The articles I saw showed the 750 with the quickest time around the track. If you see me at the track, tell me how the back of the new 1000 looks pulling away from you. Don't let it get to you, the King-O'-the-heap gets replaced every year or so. Enjoy what you have, or, if it bothers you that much, trade up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Seen LOTS of rears.....as I was PASSING THEM! In all seriousness, It's lasted 15 years, and over 30,000 miles (it sat for over 4 years in a storage shed when I moved to Ohio before I went back and got it), with nothing but brushes for the alternator, and a clutch when my "friend" burned it up doing burnouts. Look at the record number of endurance race wins the first generation GSXR's had. They won the 24 Hours West at Willow springs every year I was there. Team Hammer, Vance&Hines, Team Valvoline Suzuki. Look at their dominance in the ORIGINAL Formula USA series. Not this wimpy substitute series with their restrictive "rules". I doubt the Fireblade (you must be from the UK or something) will have as storied a history. Time will tell. That the 750 did as well against a bike with 179cc's more should worry you....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nobody needs a $1.25 million McLaren F1 that has over 600 hp and will do 230mph either, but God bless 'em if somebody makes it, and somebody buys it. I read a rather humbling story from some rich dweeb in the UK that bought one, and wadded it into a ditch the first week, trying to see "wottit'lldo". He was unhurt, and very humbled ny the experience, saying that the repairs cost more than a BMW 3 series. He also said that he went out and immediately got some expert driving instruction and track time, so it wouldn't happen again. Unfortunatly, most people (squids) that experience things like this on their bikes don't walk away with just a bruised ego, and a deflated wallet like this guy. There's a moral in here somewhere......

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes, I realize that it's been the champ the last 2 years, but:

1) Suzuki hasn't had a good 1100 for years

2) It's still a neutered series compared to the original Formula USA series started at Willow Springs.

I have friends that live in Mississauga, just outside of Toronto. Any good places to ride there when I go and visit them this summer on my new 1000?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yamaha has proven to themselves that the 5-valve design ultimately doesn't work as well as 4 valves, but can't drop the design for marketing reasons. The combustion chamber shape gets too squished for good flame travel. Ferrari tested with 5-valve heads for their F1 engines, but went back to 4 valves for their F1 engines because it works better. Yes, I know the 360 Modena uses 5 valve heads, and does well, but it's also not as highly tuned as their F1 engines, or an R1 engine in respect to specific power output/liter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks. I'll keep those in mind, although if I stop at the Ice House, it'll be just to hang out. I'm not much on impressing people, I'm just here to ride. I can't imagine the new 1000 being much more uncomfortable than my "old" one, and, since I can't afford the masseuse, I'll just have to ease the pains with a stiff dose of my favorite Molson XXX!! I really enjoy Canada. The only thing I have a problem with is your anally-retentive border crossing guards. What a-holes! Anyway, I've been wanting to ride my bike up there to visit them, just wanted to have a friend to ride with up there. This year I'll be doing it regardless. My friends up there own a Bagel Schmagel in some college town out there by Guelph Line, (can't remember the name), if you ever stop in there, tell Paul (the owner), his Greasy mediterranean friend from Cleveland said hi. Keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Actually, I've crossed the border only in my cars, and got hassled. They had me pull over and searched my car. Those dirty bastards even had the nerve to make me pay tax on a bottle of rum that I'd bought here (and paid US tax on) and was already half-empty, sitting in my cooler! I also had an extra case or so I'd gotten at the border, and the girl said that they could CONFISCATE MY CAR FOR NOT PAYING TAX ON THE BEER! My buddy Paul has been down many times, carrying WAY too many cases of XXX for me, and only got hassled once going into the US, and the guy smiled and said "you know there's a limit on those", and Paul simply went into the building and paid a small tax on the extra cases, and was outta there. 'Course, we don't get taxed as heavy on booze, but still... For the most part, I enjoy the area, the friendly people up there, the food and cultural diversity, and the beer. Well, the strip joints are rockin' also, but, I digress...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Funny thing, eh? Actually, I would consider things like the new 1000 ROLLING art, much more useful than some trendy painting or sculpture that does nothing. Personally, I'd rather get some use out of my "art". Would you say that those in Europe (or in the US for that matter) are not judged on the artwork of or in their homes? Also, why is it that, if we spend so little on education, that we get so many 'furriners coming here for school (using student loans that many of them default on), then heading home. Just a few thoughts to ponder...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: Deep thoughts from a monkey...

Why not spend the money for "art" grants, instead, on something useful instead, like cancer or communicable disease research? Most "art" is donated, or commissioned, and beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. I, personally, love blown glass as artwork, but don't think We The People should spend a lot of taxpayer money on it. If you like it, buy it, but don't expect me to pay for it. Art is fine, but, personally, I'd rather be remembered as the country who put man on the moon, a far greater accomplishment. I agree about the public school system, unfortunatley that's where my kids will go. I'll leave it up to them to make the most of it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: aren't bikes great

I lived in the Boulder/Longmont area from '75-'80, and rode my bike back there to visit in '84. It's been a long time, but there are some nice roads in the foothills around Boulder. Go up Boulder Canyontowards Eldora, ar there's another road (off of Baseline, I think) that heads up to an outlook over Boulder. Be careful though, there are no guardrails.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Seen Amadues, didn't much care for it. a) not QUITE true? It is, or it isn't. I personally know a bunch or 'furriners schooled here. Yes, our high schools suck, but they've sucked for a while now. And, I would be riding, and would LOVE to be out of the house, but it's WAY too cold and nasty here in Cleveburg this time of year.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: Funded by the government?

I totally agree that we shouldn't be funding "art" with taxpayer's money. Most of the stuff I see nowadays passing for "art" is crap. That Virgin Mary with the elephant dung debacle comes to mind. I can also, having previously worked for Moen, voice an opinion about those stupid 1.6 gal/flush toilets: they suck! On the Aids issue, well, I havbe a doctor friend who specializes in infectious diseases, so I feel qualified to voice an opinion on that one too. There most likely will NEVER be a cure for Aids. Period. We can't even cure the common cold, and we've been trying a lot longer. Aids really isn't that communicable. Not like Anthrax, Polio, Strep, or even Hepatitis. What made it all front page news is that it is a GAY disease, and all the militant **** want more money spent on a disease pretty much exclusive to them. Want to cure Aids? Have EVERYBODY in the US tested every 30 days for it, and those entering or re-entering the US tested also. Those that are carriers, quarantine them. End of problem. This is the first time in history that a 100% fatal disease like this hasn't been controlled by quarantine. Of course, this'll never happen, so now EVERYBODY has to worry about it. Wow! How did we get dragged off on a tangent like this? Ah yes, "art"......

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: Deep thoughts from a monkey...

The motorcycle show at the museum was at the world-famous Guggenheim in New York, I believe. Initially scoffed at by the art snobs, it turned out to be the most popular show they ever had. EVER.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: In Gabe's America, however,

Is this where I'm supposed to say:

Lions and Tigers and Bears?.....

Oops, sorry. I've been on the yellow brick road too long....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts