Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gee, am I the only one who thinks that, after the launch of the Yamaha R1, every new bike, from scooters to GoldWing's are "redesigned" with a R1 head light?

By the way, seems Honda will offer a special edition Gold Wing with a heated pool, cellar and a japanese garden for road meditations...god forgive us.

·
Registered
32 Posts
sport bikers..

Yeah, I agree with you on the opinionated sportbikers trying to decry the 'wing.. Totally different ballgame. Now.. I was seconds away from pony-ing up the 18 grand for the LT..but the new 'wing concept drawings I saw last year made me wait and hope. I am pleased with the design, and I have yet to ride it, but a stiffer more sporting suspension (which is exactly why I was leaning towards the big beemer) probably will seal the deal.

Any comments in defense of the big LT?

Love to hear your opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dearly beloved has been lobbying for the comfort of a Wing for our extended travels. The pillion position on our Kawasaki Concours is not the most comfortable place to spend 2 or 3 weeks on the road. We love the performance and handling and haven't wanted to compromise that. I think Honda may have a convert in a year or two with this sportier version. From the pictures, I don't think it is at all bad looking. Pricey? Yes, but what isn't?

Cheers,

Lloyd Mather, Toronto

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is nice to see Honda offering innovative engineering again. The Gold Wing series was long overdue for an overhaul. In its niche, the new wing looks like a category killer, with handling equal to or better than the BMW flagship, a lower center of gravity, and much better reliability.

I am not a large rider (a HawkGT fits me perfectly), and the old wings were just too huge even for consideration. For two-up riding I currently ride a 1994 PC800, which at 640 pounds is near the limit of what I feel I can handle comfortably at low speeds. While the PC is comfortable enough and handles well, it is seriously underpowered, and the windshield generates a lot of buffeting. The 2001 wing is probably still too big for me to feel comfortble with, but I will take a close look when they start showing up at dealers, although I think it's still too huge and baroque for my tastes.

Now, if Honda would just produce a minimalist touring bike for smaller riders, with say 80 BHP and a dry weight of less than 600 pounds. The VTR comes close, but lacks luggage, has chain drive, and none of the ones I have ridden handles twisty mountain roads nearly as quickly as my Hawk or PC.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: sport bikers..

thanks lex.. i think you're dead on with the adjustable (power) windshield.. heated seats..etc, that the beemer offers, honda should take a hint.. I have been seriously contemplating any and all big tourers.. (old school luxo style) until I saw the yammy on this site (FJ 1300) unfortunately not available in the US.. thanks for your input.

Time for many test rides..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just curious, what is the definition of 'real biker'? I thought that if you drive you are a driver. If you walk, you are a walker. Doesn't it stand to reason that if you bike, then you are a biker?

For some reason, whenever i rearrange 'real biker' all I get is 'wannabe'. I dunno.

I love tourers! I ride what I want, not what others tell me I should.

For me, full dressers are tops!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts