Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is nice to see Honda offering innovative engineering again. The Gold Wing series was long overdue for an overhaul. In its niche, the new wing looks like a category killer, with handling equal to or better than the BMW flagship, a lower center of gravity, and much better reliability.

I am not a large rider (a HawkGT fits me perfectly), and the old wings were just too huge even for consideration. For two-up riding I currently ride a 1994 PC800, which at 640 pounds is near the limit of what I feel I can handle comfortably at low speeds. While the PC is comfortable enough and handles well, it is seriously underpowered, and the windshield generates a lot of buffeting. The 2001 wing is probably still too big for me to feel comfortble with, but I will take a close look when they start showing up at dealers, although I think it's still too huge and baroque for my tastes.

Now, if Honda would just produce a minimalist touring bike for smaller riders, with say 80 BHP and a dry weight of less than 600 pounds. The VTR comes close, but lacks luggage, has chain drive, and none of the ones I have ridden handles twisty mountain roads nearly as quickly as my Hawk or PC.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts