Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
95-100HP for 10k? Bang, crash, ROTFLMAO! How many recalls do you think it will have with the frame/swingarm fuel system? For 10k you can have a GSXR1000, a 929(soon to be 960), or A new FI R1. An achievement for hardly but still short compared to other bikes for the same price. Now how about that VR1000?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Let me do a little spelling. I M P R E S S I V E! If Buell can keep the price down, I'll buy! Granted, Buells are a little weird for your yamahondakawazuki rider, but character goes a long way. I ride a sportster, so I know character. Ride hard!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well whether it works or not people will buy em. Hell people buy that blast thing dont they. Anyways, doing things differently is ok for a company like honda or bimota (RIP) ... you know... companies that have proven they have a knowledge about how to make a competant sportbike.... companies that know how to make a bike that will win races. Why doesnt Harley/Buell work on making something simple that actually works before they go out and make some sort of off the wall design. Oh wait theres that harley superbike that's hit the podium like what a couple times at the most in it's 6 year existance? Yeah I'm a sceptic with possibly a scrap of romanticism deep down but until harley or buell does something that's on par with the japanese or italians they're not even a concideration for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like it, a breath of fresh air in a room full of stagnant old cbr's, ninja's, etc. People always knock Buell because they don't understand the bikes or a reason why someone would want to own something that is not the fastest, quickest, etc. It's about being different & just enjoying a bike because it gives you a viscarel thrill.

I am a little biased because I own a 2001 Buell X1. I also own a 96 Fxdwg, a 91 CBR 600 f2, & a 83 kawasaki 550 LTD. A pretty diverse group of bikes if I do say so.

They new Firebolt is one of the coolest looking, most innovative bikes I have seen in a long time. Ranks with the KTM duke for being different. Give Buell enough time & I am sure they will take over Harleys pretty dismal superbike program & turn it into the winner a lot of us would love to see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh, man! I have GOT to have one of these. And at less than $10 large?? I'm going to the dealer to put some cash down tomorrow. OK, so I'm already a Buell faithful (S1W and RSS owner) but I also own other things too (900SS-SP, FZ750, Super-Motarded KTM, etc...) This is shaping up to be the bike I have hoped for since I first got my White Lightning. My only reservations? That 3.7 gallon gas tank is likely to leave the bike a bit shy of the range I'd like, and I wish they'd gone a bit more 21st century with the dash area (a digital speedo and fuel level gauge would have been nice) but I definitely HAVE to have one of these! Thanks, Erik!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not weird...

Just lacking. I'm not even talking about the HP and torque departments. I'm talking about ergonomics, transmission, reliability, etc. I wanted to buy a Buell, but after test riding one, it was just all wrong. If Buell would make a nice 600-750 V-twin that ran well, without a recall for a few years, I would consider it. I don't have the dough to have three bikes in the garage right now, so I'll have to leave it to the Japanese to server my communting/light touring/track day needs. (Suzuki SV650 thankyouverymuch).

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yeah! MO, we want answers!

Did anybody ask Erik where the friggin' VR-motored Buell is? I know you guys know all about it, why don't you drop us a little hint or something, not enough to violate whatever agreement you signed with them, but enough to let us know...is it coming?

See, I think this bike is the "loss-leader" for a really signifigant bike- Buell never prices their flagship bike under 10k- the S2T is what, $12-13k?

So, what's gonna be at the top of the line? I think it will be a crazy-assed VR (who else noticed the VR-1000/V-R(od) alliteration?)motor tuned for 130-150 HP at the back wheel, with a similar frame/swingarm setup and chain drive and a full fairing, priced around 996 level. A step below will be some kind of super-groovy styled sport-tourer.

Right now I think I want one of these, but will it make my life better? It only makes about 10 more horsies at the back wheel than my SV, and is heavier...

But it sure is cool looking. And if you're worried about the swingarm leaking, I don't think it would be anymore prone to leakage than any other oil tank. How often do your brakes leak fluid? They are under much, much greater pressure than an oil system.

I think tihis is the coolest looking bike since the 916. I can't wait to ride one.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Some of us need all that power to ride fast, I guess...

But I prefer high-quality suspension and lightweight, combined with a free-reving motor that rewards skill, not mindless wrist-twisting.

As far as cost goes, this Buell is cheaper than an R1 or Blade. How so, you say?

In long-term costs. First, the bodywork is tougher and more durable than the Honda/Suzuki stuff. It wont crunch or crack the first time you drop the bike trying to put it on the swingarm stand. Second, Buell parts are cheap as hell!!! Check it out- turnsignals, $5.50 apiece. X1 fairing, painted with mounting hardware-$99.

One SV650 brakelever- $63! Handlebar- $80! And EACH SV650S clip-on is $125!!

Third, this bike will need almost no maintainance. Belt drive and hydraulic lifters means just an oil change when you remember it.

Granted, Buell has had some (OK, lots) of warranty issues in the past, but they did go to amazing lengths to make it right for their customers. They recalled EVERY bike they made to install new swingarms, among other things.

What does it cost for a valve adjust on an R! at your local dealer? A lot, huh? And do you trust them to do a good job?

Fourth, Buell dealers are staffed with people who seem to give a , not pimply morons who ignore you and don't know a swingarm from a pineapple. I swear, ordering a part from the local dealer is like teaching a special ed class. ("Can you point to the valve cover, Billy? You are SOOOO smart!")

Finally, insurance. Most insurers discount bikes they never heard of, like Buells. I may be talking out my ass on this one, but I'll bet insuring a 1000cc Buell is signifigantly cheaper than a 1000cc R1.

So if you factor in all of those things, a Buell is actually much cheaper than a Honda or an R1.

And in any case, who the hell wants an R1 or a GSXR 1000? What's fun for me is using all of a bike's capabilities, or at least close. This is a bike that I think I could max out on a racetrack, unlike an R1. Anybody trying to do that will die, unless they are a very talented roadracer. That's not me.

I can't use 140 HP, but I can use good suspension, good design, and kick-ass brakes. I think this bike is gonna be a winner, and I'll be sure to wave cheerfully everytime I pass a GSXR1000 it's thrift-conscious rider.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: Some of us need all that power to ride fast, I guess...

Man, what are you on? The only way you will ever pass a GSXR1000 on a Buell is if the Gixxer is sitting in a showroom and you ride by. And that probably won't happen, almost all the GSXR1000 were sold before they hit the floor.I can't use 140 HP, but I can use good suspension, good design, and kick-ass brakes well you better get an R1 or a GSXR cause you sure won't get it with the Buell!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I pass them all the time...

On my SV650, which pumps out amybe 68hp on a good day- and Buell uses very high-spec stuff in their suspension and brakes, instead of mass-producing down to the masses. Suzuki stock shocks are all loose and crappy after 3-6k miles, for instance. Rubber brake lines, crappy OEM tires, etc.

What kind of pathetic, straight-line riding universe do you inhabit, where you can tell how fast somebody is by what they ride?

If you don't believe me, go here:

http://www.afmracing.org/SP0601.html

Notice some of the open production racers go slower than some of the 250 production racers. Why is that? There is a 100hp difference between bikes! How can this be?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welp, I for one think it's one of the nicest looking bikes I've seen in a long time.

Not my kind of machine with the ultra quick steering, tiny size, etc., but they sure did get the styling down if you ask me.

Now, when do we see a bigger machine with perhaps the Revolution engine?

That's when I show up for a test ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: I pass them all the time...

So do I. It's almost funny the looks on these squids faces not only when I blow by them on the twisties with my Buell, but when I dust them on my K1200LT it's hilarious!! When they eventually catch up to me at a rest area stop, they want to know what I've done to the bike to make it so fast. They refuse to believe that I leave my bikes 100% stock except for the suspensions (and I haven't touched the Buell's suspension at all). When will these guys realize you can go a LOT faster on ANY bike if you simply LEARN HOW TO RIDE. Any idiot can buy a fast motorcycle in a straight line, that doesn't take any skill at all. But maintaining that speed on a twisty road? That's an entirely DIFFERENT story. One of which you seem most familiar!

·
Registered
4 Posts
A R6 is clearly not better in every way. The Firebolt has hydraulic valves, fuel injection, and a final belt drive. It probably weighs about 15-20 pounds (wet wieght) less. It has a shorter seat height for the vertically challenged. Ah, let's see it probably puts out about 60 ft.lbs of torque at the rear wheel. Don't try to tell me the R6 is a real torquemeister (45 ft/[email protected],000 rpm). I bet that hopping-it-up (to old a term for you, I'm guessing) is going to be fun and something a backyard wrench can accomplish in a few days. Try messing around with anything but an exhaust or re-jetting on an R6 and I'll bet the vast majority of owners will be in way over their heads. For $2000 more you get ease of non-chain maintenance, no valve adjustments (although 26,600 miles for one is exceptional), and no carb fiddling, plus the added bonus of exclusivity (without paying $16,000 for a Duck). This bike has alot going for it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Neither weird NOR lacking in some respects...

Nothing too lacking about 85lb of torque at less than 5K rpm for an $8K street price (specs for the current M2, not this new bike). And for sensory appeal there's nothing lacking about having all that torque in engine that needs only a V&H slip-on to sound more Harley than a Harley at half the price.

But then of course it is lacking in some other areas, quite a few of them to be sure, that you consider important. So it's wrong for you. I've found Asian sportbikes to be sterile soul-less appliances with no sensory appeal whatsoever at anything resembling legal speeds, whose potential can't be tapped on the street in the absence of a suicidal psychosis, and are thus terribly boring. What a Buell offers *is* very usable for the most part, and is even extremely enjoyable to *some* riders. It is neither weird nor lacking, just different. "Different in every sense" is how they put it in their propaganda. Pretty accurate for an advertising slogan these days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can it be? The giant airbox is gone? About freakin time, that was the most detracive visual feature on the old bike. And 385lbs dry? From a HD? no way. The musta but helium in the tires. And all you babies who whine about the horsepower, isn't Ducati a little down on horses too? Plus, there isn't a Harley made that you cant soup up. Nice to seel old eric finally come through.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.