Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
This sounds like someone's low-grade drug hallucination. Did you guys make this story up?

For a little more that the cost of this school you could pick up a used dirtbike and not only wheelie to your heart's content but learn a veritable plethora of skills that would aid your streetbike riding. And you'd have fun for more than a day.

sbp

·
Registered
142 Posts
Agree. Dirtbikes are the way to learn. Not that I can ride a wheelie for more than 25 ft on my CR250, but if I ever get the chance (a wide open field and a couple of hours), I'm going to get it down (up). A motocross training book I have says that wheelieing teaches excellent balance and throttle control, which will both help out on the track, and, to a lesser extent, on the street.

But... I was driving next to a GSXR the other day on an interstate, and he (I'm assuming he) pulled wheelie after wheelie. Not good for the ol' public image.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Dirt bikes are the way to learn slides too, once you learn how to handle a bike sliding around, you'll brake and corner a lot harder, $500 on a dirtbike would be the best streetbike training tool you could get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The MO staff is having waaay too much fun. First scooters and now wheelies. The videos are entertaining, though.

Agree with the comments about dirt bikes. Nothing (other than common sense) will save your bacon like time on a dirt bike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Zen and the Art of The Wheelie? Just another crass attempt to commercialize behavior that should not be encouraged on the street. I guess the after lunch session moved out on to Intersate 405. Did the evening session cover advanced fur selection/application techniques?

Get a dirt bike if you want to wheelie. A larger four stroke single will allow most anyone to learn to find the balance point. And it won't cause my insurance to become unobtainable.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
TL1000s wheelies made easy

I had a TL and had to teach the guy I sold it to to wheelie it. Follow these instructions to the letter and 100% of the time the front wheel will be pointing up. First, with bike in first gear, ride normally to about 4,000 rpm. Next, slide butt back so it hits the rear seat or cover. Then straighten your arms to lift your upper body a bit. This position puts your weight over the rear wheel and upper body upright for takeoff. You are at 4 grand, riding normal, and body is set. Now this is the hard part for most. Crank the throttle to the stop. Just nail it HARD. The front is going to come up pretty quick, and just bend your arms when it rises. Don't stiff arm it. Keep elbows loose. Modulate throttle to steady the rise once it gets up, or let off a bit for an easy landing. Give this a try with any TL1000s and get ready for those "demonstration of speed" and "reckless driving" citations. Easy and fun.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Re: TL1000s wheelies made easy

I use a similar technique on my Duc. I just stay on the throttle once I have the front wheel in the air and as the RPM rises the torque curve starts to trail off and the front end sets down ever-so-gently and I'm hauling axx and ready to shift into second at that point.

Maybe a squid can teach us about standing on the rear footpegs and wheeliing down the freeway.

Poppa Wheelie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Screw you and your political crap. I'll bet you're from California.

Well, suck on this, you left-coast ******* - I'm going down to 5th Avenue in Manhattan for the Thanksgiving Day Parade, and I know for a fact that I'll see a huge number of women wearing fur coats. I'm going to tell each and every one that they look hot, and that they should consider buying a hat to match what they're wearing to stay warm.

If you have a problem with this statement, then maybe you should keep your stupid political views to yourself. I frequent this website to read about motorcycles, not your self-righteous rambling horse*****.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forfeiture of Warranty??

I have a brand-new 2002 GSX-R600. At a discussion forum on another website, I have seen numerous comments regarding wheelies and warranty forfeiture.

Several contibutors to the discussion forum have claimed that Suzuki will not honor a bike's warranty if the bike has been wheelied, and they go on to state that any dealership can tell if a bike has been wheelied because of scoring on the crank due to oil starvation.

Now, I like to wheelie (and I can do it without having to get a big fat dirt bike) but I am now concerned about the propsect of damaging internal components. Does anybody out there have any knowledge of this? Are wheelies that detrimental to the guts of my motor?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
From what I can tell, that post had nothing to do with women (or men) wearing fur -- I believe it was a reference to the fake fur that sertain squids seem to like to cover their bikes' plastic with.

If you wanna comment on the poster's views of wheelies (which I personally don't agree with), go for it, but trying to read some animal rights political activism into this post is effin stupid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey hey hey there, Rush, easy boy. We're from CA too. CA is fulla wingnuts and ******** just like you; you'd be right at home. I don't see anyone talking politics except yerself. Now, crack that bottle `o JD open, pour yerself a bowl `o fruit loops, and settle back down in fronta the TV wouldya...Jerry Springer's on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not around here...

In these parts (Metro-Detroit, Michigan) a used dirt bike in good enough shape to ride costs more than $500. Add on the fact that there are few large open fields where neither land owners or DNR officials wouldn't bean you.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: Forfeiture of Warranty??

The only modern bikes (That I am aware of, please correct me if you KNOW otherwise) which had a problem with wheelie induced oil starvation, were the 4-valve Ducatis, through the 916/955 Apparently the problem was addressed, around the time the 996 came out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Re: Forfeiture of Warranty??

Generally speaking, abusing your motorcycle in any manor will invalidate the warranty. That includes wheelies, stoppies, burn-outs, racing, and other acts we call fun. Will your shop call you on it? Depends. If you come in because the pistons seized and they figure out you've been doing 1/4 mile wheelies. You're toast. If you come in because your reg/rec burned out on your '99 VFR, then doing wheelies really doesn't come into the picture.

As to your question about wheelies being detrimental to the motor. Well, it isn't good, but there's a big difference between the occasional 20 ft. wheelie and pulling a 1/4 mile loft every day on the way to work. I'd suggest you talk to the guys in your service shop. They can give you a good idea of how much abuse a bike can take safely.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.