Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
If the Triumph speedo is anything like the Hawk Tacho (which, BTW the late Triumph Tach works on a Hawk just dandy........) - it's susceptible to grounding problems. You may be having charging problems too - only don't know it............. Yet..........

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Here ya go!

Speedometer reads Zero - TriumphRat.Net

Apparently it is a battery-related problem. If the voltage drops excessively during start-up, the speedometer test fails, and the speedo doesn't "boot-up". Sorta.

So, check to make sure your terminals are clean and tight, and your battery is in good health. If that doesn't do the trick, it may be the speedo sensor.

OK, this is where KM comes in with the sal****er repair technique.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Ah-HA-HA-HAH!

The smut filter doesn't like "salt water" when you spell it as one word!
I figure it doesn't know a **** from a **** anyway..........

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Im going to check all the connections again tonight and make sure that everything is tight. Thanks for all the help:)
There's a handy dielectric contact spray at Radio Shack that can improve weak contacts. You spray it into plug connectors and the like to improve the current flow. Especially useful on older bikes that may have been stored outdoors or run in a lot of rain.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
There's a handy dielectric contact spray at Radio Shack that can improve weak contacts. You spray it into plug connectors and the like to improve the current flow. Especially useful on older bikes that may have been stored outdoors or run in a lot of rain.
Still waiting for the Minion of Stan(tm) to advise salt water immersion......

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I once had an issue with one of my Guzzis. Water got into the right handlebar switchgear and caused the starter button to keep engaging! Fun when you are moving along. Luckily I was close to home at the time, so I unscrewed the two halves, dried it out, and slathered everything in dielectric grease. That can help a lot too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.