Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it's great to get these prices, but it would also be nice if Kawasaki would update their website to include info on the new models, such as the ZZR1200. Also,there is nothing on the site that tells you if the models shown are 2001 or 2002 models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: This just in

Breaking news on the new Kawasaki line up.....BOLD NEW GRAPHICS BOLD NEW GRAPHICS

When are these guys gonna realize they need to update their models? Well bold new graphics except for that beat old zx-7r....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man... I'm all about the 9R in Candy Gold... Kawi makes the best bikes for the street... I'm trading my 2000 ZX-6R for the 9R. I hope you don't get smoked on the 954... buy anything but Honda! Green Mountain Ryderz holdin' it down for 2-00-2

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
ZX7R & 636R

As for why Kawasaki has no new 7R- A couple of years ago a Kawasaki spokesperson was asked this question about the lack of an updated 7R. The response was that the customer for the 7R and 9R was the same person. To produce a new 7R would only detract from the sales of the new 9R with another expensively developed superbike. Kawasaki saved money on development of a new street superbike by putting all of their eggs in one ZX9R basket.

But does anyone have insight into why the ZX636R (basically a factory bigbore 6R) is not coming to the US? I am quite sure that we would enjoy having something like that. Sure supersport racing is for 600cc and under, but Kawasaki could just run their older dimensioned motor. It is just production 'based.' My understanding is that rules relate to metal being removed from the engine and not leaving extra metal in place.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: ZX7R & 636R

They are marketing to the foolish people who buy their bikes based on AMA season standings. Bostrom wins on 6R? we don't get the 636. To me, upping the displacement is a good move, you can make the same power, or even more, while improving longevity. Probably helps the midrange just a tad, too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Doesn't *necessarily* mean it's been dropped...

W650 is in a totally separate category on Kaw's web site from any of those models MO listed, a category called "Retro." There are other bikes not listed by MO, e.g. the Police models which do have prices of course even though they're only sold new to qualified entities. Could be Kaw just hasn't published a price for it yet.

OTOH sales have surely been decimated by the fact you can now get an 800cc Triumph Bonneville for very little more. Even though the W is an even more accurate repro of a 60's Britbike than the '01 Bonnie in certain details, that Triumph badge and considerably more motor for your cycle has got to make it hard to sell W650s in the same ballpark.

I'd hate to see it go too because it's something very unusual if not original, like the Honda GB500 (which btw was short-lived). Rarely does a pretty bike ever come from any Japanese manufacturer, and the GB500 is now worth more than it's original price (something also very rare for any Japanese bike that's not older than most of the readers here).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was also looking forward to a new 7R. With the updated styling and comfort of the 6R and 9R, it would be a nice intermediate between the two. I'd like a little more power than the 6, but I'm sure I'd lose my license on the 9.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts