Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
As it is, this bike will be a great competitor against the Blackbird et al--it may not be the fastest, but like the XX, it has comfort, polish, and great looks.

You mention the subframe has been changed to accomodate hard bags. Does Kawasaki offer a set? If not, they should--with hard bags this bike could really square off with the K1200RS and maybe even the FJR1300 and ST1300.

Overall, this will sell far better than the ZX-12R.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: Let me just get this out of the way...

It's too big! Make it 400 pounds lighter look at it. And they detuned the thing! Now it's slow! Kawasaki is stupid as heck and just lost my sale. My Honda Shadow 600 will kick its ass!

Oops... maybe should have left off the last sentence ;-)

·
Registered
486 Posts
"Based on the motor that powers their own ZRX1200R"...which as I remember it was based on the ZRX1100, which in turn was based on the ZZR1100, aka ZX11. We're going in circles here...

·
Registered
486 Posts
As long as we're running Kawasaki...

If I were running Kawasaki, the first thing I'd do is touch up the EX500. No new mechanics needed, but spruce up the fairing, tail, and exhaust so that it doesn't look so Reagan-era, and then maybe it could take on the SV650 in the lightweight/cheap/bang-for-the-buck market. Keep it $500 below the SV to compensate for the smaller engine. I think it's the EX's looks more than anything else that make it perpetually lose out to other budget streetbikes (namely SV).

I'd also update the Connie, but that would have to be a full do-over, not something easy like the EX. The Connie's got a good name in the tour-side-of-ST market, so giving it a new body wouldn't be too risky.

How about a totally new Voyager XII to compete in the new agile-luxury-touring market (K-LT and GL1800)? The current one is essentially an 80's retro bike at this point.

Introducing the ZZR1200 wouldn't have been above any of those three on my list of priorities, because the high-speed-sport-side-of-ST market seems to me to be rather small. But as long as it's already been designed, it's still nice.

·
Registered
486 Posts
re: bags + a little digression

It's all just proof that America is having displacement/power inflation. Being 20, I'm used to it, but my dad (his 1972 Honda 350 was "really fast and powerful" when he bought it) sure chokes when I try to explain to him that 70hp machines are now considered "beginner bikes"...

I'll agree that the ZR7 looks great with hard luggage. It compliments the quarter-fairing and conservative lines quite well.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Two good reasons for detuning

1.) Tractability

2.) Long-term reliability

Both of those things are more important in sport TOURING than 10 extra hp at 10,000 rpm.

·
Registered
486 Posts
re: bags + a little digression

A Commando 750 being one of the baddest bikes on the planet--now we've got Hayabusas and stuff. Wow. Wouldn't you love to get a time machine, take a stock EX500 back to 1965, and smoke every comer?

My father calls an SV650 a "large sportbike". And that's the naked version, not even the -S, which he calls a "crotch-rocket." And now motorcycle magazines won't even use the term "sportbike" for the VFR (and even the ZX-6R gets called a sport-tourer *ahem*). Things do change.

One wonders if the next big oil crisis will make everybody ride 650 twins again, or whether we'll always call 750/4's "middleweights"? Fifty years from now will we be selling 140hp "beginner bikes"?

·
Registered
486 Posts
EX revamp--why not a 650cc triple?

Here's something to think about (as long as you're knowledgable with the history of the EX). It's losing to the SV because of looks, power, and sound. What if you were to go back to the 1984 Ninja 900, and instead of cutting off two cylinders, cut off ONE. Do a little tinkering to get everything balanced again, and you suddenly have a triple of about 650cc's. It's not like Kawasaki hasn't done triples before. Slap a new, sexy fairing on that bike, and all of a sudden you've got something that's obviously for street use, is distinctive, cheap, reliable, but now SEXY. I mean, everybody raves about the sound and feel of Triumph triples for street riding--why give them a monopoly? If the SV is a "smaller, cheaper Ducati that's also good for beginners," why not make the EX a "smaller, cheaper Triumph that's also good for beginners"?

Price it at $6000 or less and buyers WILL come.

·
Registered
486 Posts
> No where did it say Kawasaki

Except in the title of the article, which was about a new Kawasaki motorcycle. You respond to said article, "when they build yadda yadda yadda." The antecedent to the pronoun "they" is thus automatically assumed to be Kawasaki, as you didn't provide another antecedent. Life IS a reading test, no?

As for the rest, I never bashed your choice of bike, being a Colorado mountain rider myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts