Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I will never buy a bike with an engine that has been "re-tuned" for torque (a.k.a. "de-tuned"). It would be much more pleasing for me to ride a street fighter type bike that i converted from the full sportbike. A used VTR would be ideal, but pick any type of sportbike and it will be better than the crap manufacturers try to sell for a premium price.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Exactly my point. This bike will produce only about 5 HP more than an SV650 with a slip on muffler, weigh more, and cost an extra $2000 for all that Triumph "heritage". If you want a bike that will embarrass the speed four for $7500 then get the SV and put an exhaust and suspension work on it. OR... build your own from a full power sportbike.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't know where you're getting that figure of 97 HP from, but I am certain that is incorrect. The TT600 makes only about 88 or 89 HP as measured on a Dynojet dynomometer. The Speed Four is going to be retuned for torque (a.k.a. detuned), which the MO article states will result in 11 fewer ponies than the TT. So 88-11=77 HP. The SV650 with a slip on will make somewhere slightly over 70 HP most likely. The real advantage of the SV would be torque though. Despite the statement by Triumph that they are tuning for torque, I would bet that the Speed Four will have only 1-2 more lbs-ft more than the TT. That means the SV will still have a much flatter and therefore user friendly torque spread then the Triumph.

I remember the first TT600 I saw way back when they came out (like 2 years now). The guy couldn't get the thing rolling without using like 5K rpm, or else it would stall. How's that for the modern marvel of fuel injection. Whatever, to each his own, but I would rather spend my money on a very reliable/cheaper/smoother/etc motorcycle. Not that I'm even in the market to buy one though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts