Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Great write up. Dealt with the issues we really want to know about, and nobody else seems to be interested in reviewing the two valve Ducs. Or maybe the print media just can't get the reviews out fast enough. (I knew I let that subscription lapse for a good reason.)

Now these are real motorcycles, with real torque, ready for the real world and the nastiest, curviest mountain road you can throw at them. Why do I need a Buell when I can have one of these beauties. And the 800 is cheaper than the Buell. Plus it doesn't have the motojournalists scratching their heads about odd handling. They are Ducatis. They handle. End of problem. And for those afraid of the odd valve system, remember, nothing sounds like a desmo and any decently competent shade tree mechanic can adjust these puppies. Hell, even I can.

Ah yes, the cookie jar must be raided, secret trips in the dark of night. I want one.

Vlad

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's a number of bikes running 190's that benefit from dropping a width as well. Let's face it modern sports rubber only lasts a couple of thousand miles so you'll just have the engine run in when you're ready to change to a thinner rear and flog the bejasus out of it !!

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Air-cooled still good

I'm glad Ducati and a handful of other companies are still producing air-cooled motors in some of their bikes. It's become a bit of a lost art.

Two-stroke street bikes left us a long time ago. Let's hope air-cooled bikes stick around for a long time.

Suddenly I've got a hankerin' for a Yamaha RD350/400.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice leathers, JB, even if your old rainsuit won't fit over the hump (what hump?).

Tell us, does that nice MO logo attach with Velcro so you can swap it with a CW one, or have you managed to score dedicated leathers for each mag? :)

And hey, I met Dave Searle at a recent Keith Code school, and he didn't seem sedated to me. Must be the wining and dining.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Ducati is like Harley but this time it is a good thing.

Everyone has read my criticisms of Ducati being the Harley of the sport bike world, overrated and overpriced. However, after seeing these supersport bikes in action pictures, I have to say these bike are beautiful and graceful. So again Ducati is like Harley in that their styling folks know how to design a classic. In Ducati's case the classic sportbike.

Too bad the 999 won't be remembered as a classic sport bike like the 916. After reading about the 999 in this weeks issue of Cycle World it is amusing to read how Terblanche blames the traditional tubular frame. Most of the time the frame is hidden by the rider. But I dare say the 999 would still be ugly with cast subframe he wanted. Terblanche says his design inspiration comes from Formula One cars, German (style giants) locomotives and a propeller driven monorail. Last time I checked you couldn't buy a Formula One car for the street. In addition Formula cars are pure function. Wings for down force etc. If the guy insists on autos for his inspiration he should look at concept cars etc.

Too me these supersport Ducati's along with the 998 and 748 are timeless. Ducati should get another dude for their next bike. I don't think Terblanche really has a passion for motorcycles. Journalist have tried to temper criticism by saying the bike is better in the flesh. I wonder if they just don't want to ***** Ducati off by calling a spade a spade.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: Air-cooled still good

Yes there is something to be said for the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) principle. However, won't the market demands for performance kill the Air cooled V-Twin eventually. From what I have read liquid cooling allows for closer tolerances the ability to run the engine faster etc.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: Ducati is like Harley but this time it is a good thing.

Where to start...

This article is about the new Duc SuperSport line, not the SuperBike line. Even though the 748 is mentioned in the article, this is not so much about that as it is the SuperSport range. Perhaps, KPaul, you meant to be replying to the 999 article they ran a couple of weeks ago?

To be fair, though, the SuperSports are a Terblanche design, and one I don't particularly like. To me, the half-faired SS from the 92-98 era are an icon, on par with the SuperBike design of the 916. Plenty will disagree with me, I'm sure. To have tried to adapt the SuperMono design to the SuperSport concept was a good move, but Ducati and Terblanche shouldn't have stopped halfway if this was what they were going to do. As it is, the half-faired models are the best looking and they aren't supposed to even be making them? Dang...

Guess I'll hold onto my single spark, carbed Monster until something better comes along or the new DS Monsters are used enough to pick up for a reasonable price.

Viva Ducati!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Ducati is like Harley but this time it is a good thing.

I agree, the earlier 900ss series is much nicer looking than the current DairyQueen, softserve curvy mishap they have now. ;) Oh, no offense to DQ!

I have to say major congrats and kudos to the mechanical/ engineering teams. Both new superbike and supersport series are amazing.

Interesting that they would make an 800. Upping the 900 to 1000 is expected. (All makers continue to move up and up). Could it be that someone over at Ducati has been doing a bit of rule book reading? ;) Nicccce!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.