Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stalking the mean streets. Leading a posse deep into the badlands. Carrying the flag for all America in uncertain times. Enforcing good old-fashioned values. Purging the roadhouses of squids and posers. Sitting tall and righteous in the saddle.

Brawny, confident men with a down-to-earth honesty, just like their machines. No need for endless chattering when a couple well-placed fists will set the record straight. No need for a buzzy mess of tiny cylinders when a massive V-Twin does the job in staggering style. Men who wear the same colors as they did yesterday and will tomorrow, instead of fashions and loyalties that are translated from a foreign language and change like the wind. Rough and tumble men who have the force and might to prevail against any odds.

Motorcycles with the torque to twist Asian atrocity cycles into pretzels and squash atrociteurs into raw sewage. Engines of iron, pushrods and roller bearings. Power bands as broad as the muscle and pride of the riders. Wheels with spokes, fenders of steel and saddles of leather. The ripping thunder and roar that has become a second national anthem. A sound of authority, of anger and of the power of real men. Men who have earned the respect and awe of all America. Riding machines that define what motorcycling is all about.

Real American motorcyclists ride Harley-Davidsons.

They call me ... The Highwayman

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
You've really got to talk to an Indian employee to fully understand the corporate brainwashing that goes on. They are firmly convinced these are not H-D clones.

Let's see, that motor looks suspiciously like an Evo except, uh, they moved the carb to the other side.

I think Kawasaki does a better job of being an original Indian. I love the "since 1901" stuff on all their gear too.

I'm a cruiser kind of guy but I can't get excited about any of Indian's offerings.

Buzz

·
Registered
58 Posts
cool bike but WAY too much $$.

Btw, Highwayman.. that is the most pitiful and tired flame bait I've seen in ages.. Nobody here will bite. We're far too sophisticated for such an obvious flame trolling.

(ha)

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"TheHighwayman" as he calls himself, posts this crap all over the internet. I have seen this same post on other boards, so your busted son. I can post some of his other crap also, since I know where he posts most often. As for the Indians, they look nice and I would never buy one. Nice try with the motor, but it's still a Harley in disguise. If they come out with something really distinctive and cheaper, I may look, but as of now not interested.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well... well, based on the photos here what's now being presented as an Indian certainly looks a dern sight slicker and better put together than in the past. Almost as nice-looking as an Excelsior Henderson. And while a lot of folks will see this offering as derivative, niche marketing can always be defined as fooling some of the people all of the time.

But it sure does look like an Evo motor with the carb on the left. A lot more work must have gone into that cam & oil pump housing. And with no evident oil cooler, how do they keep it from overheating? A 25% bump in displacement means more heat - a lot more.

Okay, so it cost beaucoup simoleans to create a real, from-scratch proprietary engine. It's not like they could pick up all the leftover E-H dies and tooling pretty cheap right about now...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Ya ever notice the seemingly inverse relationship between macho posturing and actual testosterone levels? I could be totally wrong, but when I try to picture "TheHighwayman" what keeps popping up in my mind is the image of a pussywhipped, slightly paunchy insurance actuary, who has never been closer to a real biker bar than to quickly drive by in his minivan. Of course, I could be wrong and he could really be the roughest, hard-ass ex-Green Beret, ex-body guard for Sonny Barger. But I bet not.

I agree that the new Indian is kinda pretty -- I am not really that much of a cruiser guy, but I think if I had 20+ large to spend on a Harley Clone I'd go for a Real custom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I want to like it but I don't...

A classic Indian motorcycle is a beautiful thing. I would love the chance to own one some day. However, when I looked at these pictures for the 2003 Indians I felt nothing. It's just like the new BMW Mini. Sure, it retains all the styling cues of the original in an updated form but at the same time it lacks anything new or refreshing. The Honda advertisement for the Honda Rune was FAR more appealing to me. Sure, it's a bike in the cruiser tradition but has actual modern styling cues. No silly fringed leather, smooth and clean contours, and dare I say it... an engine which isn't just a harley knock-off.

-C

·
Registered
34 Posts
Met a fellow 2 weeks ago. Nice guy, too. He's got the new Chief. Here's what he told me:

The bike cost $26,000 US. He told me that his first ride was in rain, and the bike quit on the highway. Turns out that rain gets into the tank breather and creates a vacuum, and the bike stops from fuel starvation. The dealership had to drill a hole in the top of the breather. Next, it turns out that during hard cornering the rear wheel/swingarmcombination flexes quite a bit and the Kevlar final drive belt rubs on

the inside of the big fender skirt and squeaks and throws Kevlar dust all over the paint and pretty bits. The wheel, in other words, needs to be repositioned. Next, during the the brake-in period, he wasn't supposed to go over 80 kph for 1000 km. Next, the air box on the left side is so large he has to keep his left foot turned out with only his heel on the floorboard because he can't get his leg in closer to put his whole foot down. And last, it barely starts

after 4 tries in cool weather (i.e. + 10 celcius and below, even with the choke).

Dealertold him it is "cold-blooded" and that that's its normal. And he's happier than hell with all of this. Go figure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Who cares?

JB,

Are you guys actually riding motorcycles anymore or are you simply relying on press releases that you can plagiarize for content?

Don't you have a garage full of bikes or did they take them all away?

Signed,

Bored

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
looks alot more like a new softtail than anything out of the springfield indian works, funny that the Kawasaki drifter looks more like an indian than this does, Well if you don't want a Harley or reasonable facsimilie, you can get an American made Victory, they took the leap and came up with their own engines and what-not.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Dude!?

Look at the Bike Reviews section of the site, Man. They've already posted more in the way of actual review so far than they did all last year!

As for news, I happen to like the mixed-content format: when I want exclusive race/sport in depth material, I'll read Sport rider to get the long version of the stuff here that's brief but usually scoops the print rags. Same vis a vis cruiser/custom stuff; Mo gets me the news first, and if I want more, I'll go buy the next issue of American Iron, or V-Twin magazine. So as far as that goes, the format here that includes all the news and intros saves me a lot of money because I don't have to hold subscriptions to all those print rags.

But the reviews, even if you're not interested, Brother, you can't reasonably fault the voluminosity of them, and even though John Burns maintains that goofy beatnik hair-thingy under his lip, and occasionally a schmuck, he's still a great writer, who bothers to spell-check his work before posting it. I used to CONSTANTLY findspelling errors on common words in Motorcyclist, (except from Greg McQuide).

Anywho, after three years of reading this site, which I credit largely with keeping such a wide variety of material on hand to help me make the best decision for *me*, I finally got a Road King. Actually, I got a Sportster 883 first, based largely off the opinions it garnered in the valuebike shootouts of years past. After a few months now, I still love the Sporty, but I'm ready for more of a cruise ship.

Anywho, thanks to staff and all for a great site. Steady as she goes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Are you suprised?

The Kawasaki W650 looks more like a classic Bonneville than does the new Bonneville.

(Excluding their other bike segments, of course) you've got to hand it to Kawi; if they're making clones, they've certainly found the magic formula for doing so. What I'd like to see is a Kawi-made Enfield Bullet (I know Enfield is still making them, but I think my point is understood) or a Kawi-clone of the other Britbikes from back-in-the-day. BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, et al.

And the height of such engineering would be to faithfully recreate an old board-tracker bike from the early part of last century. But of course the modern methods and such, a la W650.

Actualkly, I take that back: the HEIGHT of such cloning achievement would be to recreate their very own smokers from the seventies. The oil-burning triples of that time were some of the burning-est bikes on the streets.

Go Kawi.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.