Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ijust finished the article about the new Gixer 1000R.

"Suzuki went ahead and made it beautiful too," writes the author of the article.

I want to know what his guide-dog has to say on the matter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Incorrect caption on SV650 photo

That's not the naked SV650 naked. It's the SV650S naked. The clues are the plastic cylindrical front master cylinder, the lack of a headlight, the clip-on bars, and the slightly taller gearing.

Ok, I couldn't really see the taller gearing in the photo, but I know it's there. :)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
"Already in possession of the beast that trounces all other heavyweight contenders, Suzuki went ahead and made it beautiful too."

I agree with dardas, they beat the GSX-R1000 silly with the ugly stick. The SV1000 is a great bike, but I wish they had made it look more like the old SV and not made the frame rails so square.

Just my opinion. Feel free to flame away.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 2003 Suzuki Reader Feedback - SV1000

Dont know about this one. There's a touch of the " ho-hum commuter bike" about the front fairing.

I really liked the aggressive styling of the TL1000S.

I don't know what the suzuki design crew were thinking (or smoking) this year; even Pat Buchanan could have designed a range of bikes less conservative.

·
Registered
1 Posts
no new 600 :(

so no updates on the 600s or the 750.

the 750 will probably not be updated with the class dying

but they need to update the 600s to stay competitive in that class...

looks like the kawi 6RR is my track bike.. trick bits and all

when will you guys get all the 600s together for a comparo.. can't wait.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: no new 600 :(

I'm sure there wil be a new 600, look at the new zx-6r, that will likely share some things with the new gixxer 6. It will probably be similar to the 1000 in styling, expect to see radial brakes and maybe the new zx-6 for too.

Does the new SV mean the TLR is dead?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay, Kawasaki wins the prettiest bike shootout with that zr1000 thing. Ducati'll win the best chassis thing, BMW wins the most doodads that are useful thing. (Heated handgrips rule. Sorry. It's true.) Suzuki wins the make your sportbikes look like a Hayabusa prize. And Honda, well, I'm still not interested, so who cares? Just ride long and hard. Put 400 miles on your bike in 5 hours. Come home, be extremely happy. And if you're achy, it's either your bike or you're too old. If it's the bike, buy a beemer and quit posing. If you're too old, take an advil and do it again. Motorcycles are the fountain of youth. I'm through rambling now. I will be awaiting Burnsie's cutdown. He makes me laugh and he's my favorite columnist, anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Since we have great naked bikes coming out, why not have an international naked comparo with buell xb9s, bmw r1150r, ktm duke (if it were available), kawi zr1000, the new Guzzi, sv1000, fz1, and the good ol' speed triple for a good romp. Maybe throw in a 919 and a monster just for fun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jesus, these things are ugly

Who are you trying to sell with the "made it beautiful too" thing. Suzuki took a big step back in the aesthetics department. The SV650 was actually a good looking bike, now they went and put scaffolding on the sides. And the beak on the new Gixxer makes it look like a rabid vulture (oh i mean hiaboosa). Some heads are going to roll at design HQ.

·
Registered
145 Posts
even though I really like the SV1k, and am torn becuase I know I'd have to seel the trusty old 1400 to make it real, I can't help but notice that the naked B12 is $1k LESS than the SV1k....so THAT's how Suzuki is going to maintain the B12s life in the lineup! ;-) can't say as I blame them not to mention, that $1k price undercut makes the B12 verrrry attractive, no matter how much the SV appeals...

now THERE'd be an interesting comparison!

Speaking of the good old 1400, I can already hear the squealing over onthe Intruder Alert website BBS, concerning the fact that suzuki is giving the pass on a power cruiser for another season....LOL! it cracks me up, that the fastest of the japanese power cruisers is just about as fast as an SV650...;-) maybe. downhill.

As much as I like 'em, they are for sure Motorcycling's technological backwater...

the more important question is, do I sell the 1400 in the spring? SV1k? B12? SV.65? decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I doubt the B12 and the SVS1K really will dig into each others sales. The top end power of that big in-line along with all the toys available to tweak the bike give the B12 a definate niche.

The new SV will, IMHO, appeal to SV riders that want to "move up", old TL riders, and those that were spooked by the reports of ill-handling of the TL.

If I were buying a new bike next year (and I maybe) I'd just wait until the end of the season, soak up everything that's been written and said by then, and buy a slightly used one off someone that made a mistake. You should save yourself enough to be able to afford to hold on to the 1400 until the next spring when you can sell it for so much more. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
frame stuff

I agree with ya on aesthetics and you may already know this....

But the frame has to be squarish to be a single piece casting. You could not create a frame that looked like the old SV without making it in the same method.

Give it a while, functionality is beautiful. This frame is lighter, stronger, cheaper to manufacture, and more consistent than the dozen welded tubes of the old frame.

Time to go see the suzuki dealership today to see how bad I'd get bent if I had to have one.

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like the change. I'd see one of those late model sport bikes coming down the road and think it was a helmeted, armless woman on a unicycle with headlights for tits coming at me. I guess it appeals to a 18 year old, but those of us nearing 40 would like something with the power, but without the adolesent body work. This is better, but still does not appeal to me enough to buy it. The new Yamaha FJR1300 looks like a great bike and will probably be my next.

By the way, which Jap power cruiser is almost as fast as an SV650?

Brad

'94 V-Max

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.