Motorcycle Forums banner

2004 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Feedback

92K views 74 replies 44 participants last post by  Big_Boy 
#1 ·
Re: 2003 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Feedback

Up until now, I said there was nothing on the market, including the Mille, which seriously tempts me to trade in my (admidittedly much modified) Falco. I may have to eat those words.

It's simply STUNNING!!!

Scott

#28 ·
Did They Run Out of Blue Paint?

OK, the new Mille has beautiful lines.

The old Mille and the Tuono look like they were patched together using leftover parts (the gauges in particular seem to be surplused from the Russian manufacturer Skoda). They're such a mishmash of shapes that it almost creates a style of its own. Almost.

I especially like the new tailsection of the Mille which in its own way is designed as nicely as the R1 (even though it looks completely different).

But what's with the paint? Did Aprilia get a batch deal with the paint for the Honda 919? Lead gray? Magnet gray? Matte black? These motorcycle things are supposed to be FUN, folks!

#29 ·

I'm not sure Scott, but I think it might be a requirement to have a job before you go out and purchase a brand new aprilia.

I think I read that somewhere. If not, someone should right that down, so that I can say I read that somewhere.

#30 ·

Fairing sides are a little slabby also...they look like they were designed by Sharkskinz. I love how they tout the .006 improvement in aredynamics and the 3% gain in power at maximum speed- like anyone on the street will ever be able to feel that. All in all a pretty ho-hum update, with nothing special, except the styling, which is subjective.

#32 ·
Did I miss something? Does the new bike bring over the trianguloid fulgumometer and the flux capacitor systems from the first fleet? I mean hey, where would we be without the BattleStar Galactica instrument panel. I just hope I can be among the few cadets to command one of the RSV Mille 1000R Factory Special Edition Limited Number Flight Unitlaunchsequencepushtheredbutton....Yeah, I want one.

#33 ·
Well I'm heading off to my local dealer to put my some money down. I think I found the perfect way/bike to ***** off my ex wife with.

#38 ·

You got that right!I am thinkin of tradin' in my Triumph Daytona 1200... I am not generally so fickle and like to keep a bike for quite a while before I trade... but it is love at first site! The new Aprilia is beautiful! Reminds more of the 250RS than the Mille... very nice work! Now whats the price again? I got a fist full of yen and I am ready to spend... Sorry Daytona... we may have to part ways... good as you have been.. I really like the look and performance potential of the new Aprilia.

#39 ·
Re: Did They Run Out of Blue Paint?

Actually, Skoda is a Czech company... but I agree, the old gauges looked horrible (like a Lada dash!). I was at the dealership ready to buy a Falco, and just couldn't get over how ugly the dash was. (I ended up with a Daytona 955i after finding out I could insure it for the same price).

But back to the topic at hand. I really like this new Mille. Any time someone says a bike looks "slab sided" I seem to love it. And they finally got rid of all the racer-boy graphics. I'd also take off the remaining stickers they if I were to buy one. Which is a definite possibility.

That swing-arm and twin exhaust look great. The front is a 200% improvement over the old Mille, which I didn't care for. Overall I think Aprilia has a huge hit on its hands.

Slap on some heli-bars and that just might be my next ride. Speaking of, cycle companies should offer optional clip-on heights when you buy the machine. It would greatly increase the prospective customer base. There are a number of bikes I'd be more interested if they had higher bars.

#41 ·
Re: Does too.

The RC 51 is the current superbike entry for honda, why can't it spank some upstart eye-tye scooter company?

Could it be that honda's engineering skill died with Soiciro?

Maybe Aprilia will sell them some engines and frames so they can be competitive?

Maybe Baba-san can design a competitive twin for them?

Maybe they can just deny there's a problem, then withdraw from all the class's they can't win at.

#42 ·
Re:Relax young man

You've already reached the dizzying heights of engineering sophistication known only to owners of the VFR, Concours and SV650.

Why waste your time and energy lusting after some Italian slattern when you already own the worlds finest bike.

#43 ·
When I first saw the prototypes... I thought the bike(s) looked awesome. Now that I see them all dressed up, I'm not so sure. At a quick glance, it looks like a RC51 front end with some '02+ R1 'sharpness' in the bodywork with a VFR-like tail. The graphics try hard, but are still a little bland looking to me. I like the older styles and graphics better. As a whole though, I'd expect the bikes to look a lot better in person.

Tech wise, these things are beautiful...

#44 ·
When I first saw pictures of this bike - from the side - I thought it looked awesome. Then I saw the front view. What the hell were they thinking when they designed the front? There is just too much going on around the headlights, and the ram-air duct is just horrible. Along with the Kawasaki Z1000, this is probably one of the worst-looking front designs on current sportbikes. It looks like it was designed by a committee, and everyone slaped a piece they liked onto the front of the poor motorcycle. Same thing with the paint job - too busy, not classy enough, it just doesn't hold together. Overall I like the shape of the bike, and I do like the rear of it a lot. Except for the atrocious front and paintjob, it looks like it was inspired quite a bit by the MV Augusta F4.

-Gniewko

#46 ·
Go ahead and flame me!

I'm sure I'll rile up all you racer boys with this next sentence. Personally the 2004 Buell XB12R and S has way better looks than this Aprilia. At least the Buell shows the motor. The Aprilia looks just like any other crotch rocket for sale except they'll want way too much for it. I'm sure it is a great bike but nothing new in the looks department. If I were inclined to get a race rocket I would research each bike mechanically and find the one with the least plastic that would eventually have to be replaced when it goes down on its side. That would rule out the Aprilia.

#47 ·
I Really like this thing. I also think it's great that they point out the vast weight savings on the "Factory" model by anodizing the wheels rather than painting them, and by having wheel data engraved rather than embossed. Just think, if you left the covers off the valve stems, it would really be light. Gotta reduce that unsprung weight!

#50 ·

I bet you also think a Mustang looks better then a Modena. The R1 is nicely "styled" (especially in the black/silver "paint scheme" - what do you think about the red/black/white one???) but is not a "design" with any significant conceptual ideology. It will not represent the best design of our times 20 years from now. Actually, the 2000 R1 is a better, more complete design, with details that don't overwhelm the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.