Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Build your own

I had a spool hub on my shovel for a while when I had the 4 over springer on it, that and the stock HD rigid frame drum brake and dragging my feet comprised my stopping power.

The first time I rode it I'd forgot to adjust the lnk rod and when I went to stop I went sailing through a stop sign, across two lanes of traffic (complete with screeching car brakes) and off into a neighborhood till I finaly slowed down.

Shortly after I traded the springer for a 6 over superglide front end so I could run a stock wheel and disc, between that and the bonded shoes in the back it stopped pretty well for a chop.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

That's right. I built mine because I couldn't afford to buy a running Shovel. Mine took 6 mos. and about $5k to build, a few peices at a time.

A buddy of mine bought a '64 Pan chopper that was a club bike for $1600 but it was in pretty sad shape and he wound up spending another $3k getting it running good.

I started out with a frame, rear wheel and oil tank sitting on a 4x4 in my garage for $500 and went from there.

I bought my '78 Sporty for $2200, but running stock shovel's were about $5k up front. No way I could afford that.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

You can use a ratchet top trans for a hand banger, you just need to run tin primarys and a long clutch arm, then run a rod to the clutch peddle and bolt a hand shift on the trans. drum instead of the shift linkage and off you go.

Bobbers are the only way, rigid frame, stock rake, about 2 inchs stretch in the down tubes, 4 or 6 over single or dual disc and a 16 or 19 inch front wheel makes them sit just right.

Maybe it's time for me to build another one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.