Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Look Steve, there's a tale of motojournalistic politics behind SA's quip that's about as relevant to the readers as the Swift boat debate is to voters. I told SA before the story was published that I thought it was petty and un-professional to air MO's internal dirty laundry in public. He did it anyway and that's his prerogative. Just know that there are at least three sides to that story and they would all bore you senseless.

... and now, back to the bikes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Covering more choppers?

I liked this review. It was brutal, honest, and I didn't feel like MO was pandering to the factory for once.

In answer to the question: What do you think about choppers, should we cover more of them in the future, or should we stick to the mainstream stuff?

I think MO should cover more *motorcycles* in the future. I personally don't see the allure of a chopper, and I'm not a dirt-bike guy. But just generally more reviews, and reviews of different bikes, would be welcome. Like the "Naked Twins" shootout a while ago, a non-standard matchup mixes it up every once in a while.

Just my $.02

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Re: Build your own

You were lucky. A buddy of mine bought a chopped '57 Sportster with a glide front end and spool wheel. Sort of a reverse Super Glide. He went straight into the back of a stopped Porsche one day in Pasadena, rear wheel locked and smoking the whole way. Forunately he'd scrubbed down to about 5 mph when he hit.

He wasn't smart enough to put a front brake on it after that though. Kept riding it. Last I saw he was at Lompoc.... some murder rap dealing with some woman's husband. Typical for the spool crowd I think. Well maybe that's a bit harsh. But you gotta think that people dumb enough to ride with spool front wheels, or those stupid tiny front drums, are gonna demonstrate that basic dumbness in other areas.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Build your own

Stopping one of those things had to be a trip. Never got to ride a true old school chop. The rear brake only, jockey shift, rigid kind. I bounce the idea around to build a shovelhead rigid from scratch one day, but I think the coolness would wear off after the first 20 potholes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Quit yer griping!

Sure, most MO readers have no use for this sort of bike, but this is the only review of a "chopper" I've ever seen written by someone who wasn't a member of the "Brotherhood", i.e., someone who would evaluate it in comparison to real bikes with real engineering. Fonzie and Sean are the only MOjos with the guts to point out that the emperor has no ... er, wait, the emperor has some really fancy duds, but he's still got no brains.

Of course, after this review, MO will never get another Big Dog to test, even if BD starts making sport bikes.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: Quit yer griping!

>> "Of course, after this review, MO will never get another Big Dog to test, even if BD starts making sport bikes."buy[/i] our BD test units from now on..... Wait, what's that, they cost HOW MUCH!?!? Oh, nevermind. -Sean

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: Quit yer griping!

Sorry about that poor formatting. It seems I took a mediocre joke and turned it into gobledeegook.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Please...

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks, "Hey look at that idiot" every time I see one of these God-forsaken contraptions.

I heard one designer actually caught his butt on fire while riding his latest master-piece.

Hey ya idiots... it's a machine. It's not art. Function of Form. If it doesn't go from point A to point B effectively, then it isn't even as cool as a Vespa.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Okay, I get it finally. Chopper are about getting chicks. But the chicks who dig a Choppers are fat tattooed, disease factories. So the guys that like choppers are looking for that type of woman, meaning they are probably disease factories themselves. I said it before, if you got to have a bike to get laid, you need more than a motorcycle (therapy comes to mind)

But I could be wrong.

Nice review, its a pity that there is not more honest reviews about choppers. Review some more, but the Chooper factories might join up with Honda and boycot you guys.

Still good to see something different, heck review anything motorized on two (or three) wheels. Whatever the manufacturers have available. Variety is the spice of life.

Watch it Ebass, you might give MO a bad name (see Honda comment above ;-)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I spoke with Bobby Baldwin a year ago for a sidebar piece on the EH vs. Royal Star story we did awhile back. He's a nice guy. I wish him well in his venture. As for a MO story, you'll have to appeal to SA. He holds the reigns around here.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
EBass is an extremely talented writer. The chances of him tarnishing MO's (ahem!) Stellar Reputation, are slim and none.

Actually, if MO doesn't already have a "bad" name, we jhaven't been doing our jobs.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Real, Performing, Cruisers?

Indian Larry. Gasoline Alley. I saw a great interview of Indian Larry on Speed Channel, and he had some very interesting ideas regarding the design and function of his motorcycles and engines. He himself is a big fan of hard riding and carving, so he builds, all oxymoron aside, performance cruisers that can handle the twisties.

I'm pushing for a review. Ebass let's make it happen. Sure, Sean holds the reigns, but I'm sure he's not opposed to a cruiser if it actually performs. Sean liked the Sportster, so I'm confident he'd actually like the Indian Larry if given the opportunity to ride one.

Art and performance need not be mutually exclusive. Of course, I doubt I'd ever pay 30 large for an ill-mannered, poor performing machine, regardless of how beautiful it looked. Then again, I would never pay $250,000 for a Ferrari either, even if it were the most spectacular performance automobile on the planet. But that's just my value system.

There is no place for bike snobbery. Each to his own. We're all brothers on two wheels, regardless of what we ride. I'm no cruiser guy, but if that's what floats your boat, more power to you. I'll give you a waive and a smile all the same. Even if you are nothing more than a poser.

Heck, to some extent, we are all posers. If we weren't we'd probably just leave the bikes to track riding. I doubt that there is a single one of us here who doesn't believe that they get a few extra cool points for being a motorcyclist.

Let's just ride and have fun.

·
Registered
409 Posts
As for the girl...

Some of you have been complaining, but all I can say is, have you never been with a red-head?

They don't really tan. They just get more freckles.

I'm sure if she gave any one of us a wink and smile, we'd be pretty happy about it.

Great pics Fonz.

41 - 60 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.