Motorcycle Forums banner
101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Big Dog sales are up.

Big Dog Motorcycles LLC expects to end the year with a 47 percent increase in sales, marking its fourth consecutive year of growth.

Big Dog, founded in 1994 by Sheldon Coleman, is forecasting 2004 sales to top $119 million, surpassing last year's record of $81 million.

Between January 2003 and July 2004, the company also increased employment by 117. It employs 344 at its 141,500-square-foot plant at 1520 E. Douglas.

<a href="http://wichita.bizjournals.com/wichita/stories/2004/08/16/story2.html"> click here for more

·
Registered
579 Posts
Will you people drop the political jabs? I can rip you a new one in the political arena... it's what I do... I spend all day debating that crap with others...

But just because we ignore your idiotic assertions doesn't make you right. It just means that we don't care. We don't come here for witty political banter. We come here for bikes... and chicks... dammit.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: Not Big Dog's best bike

Maybe he's just sick of your mindless twaddle. while I hate seeing the boards reduced to political flamewars... and in-spite of the fact that I hate the way Bush is running things... Come November, I will renew my subscription just for the privilage of rubbing your loathsome little nose in what little remains of Kerry there are.

We're watching a political meltdown Kpaul. Enjoy the show, and get ready for the worst loss since Mondale.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Build your own

That's right. I built mine because I couldn't afford to buy a running Shovel. Mine took 6 mos. and about $5k to build, a few peices at a time.

A buddy of mine bought a '64 Pan chopper that was a club bike for $1600 but it was in pretty sad shape and he wound up spending another $3k getting it running good.

I started out with a frame, rear wheel and oil tank sitting on a 4x4 in my garage for $500 and went from there.

I bought my '78 Sporty for $2200, but running stock shovel's were about $5k up front. No way I could afford that.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: Not Big Dog's best bike

moron. Are you implying Kerry is not a liar? Grow up boy. Anyone who has (R) or (D) beside their name is a liar. All of them! Honest John Kerry contradicts himself in his own books. While his medal certificates claims he was wounded by enemy fire, he wrote in his own book that he had faced no enemy fire, 9 days after the event that he supposedly won his medal at!

His own campaign manager is backing off his statements.

I know you're just a kid, but you've got a lot to learn.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

You can use a ratchet top trans for a hand banger, you just need to run tin primarys and a long clutch arm, then run a rod to the clutch peddle and bolt a hand shift on the trans. drum instead of the shift linkage and off you go.

Bobbers are the only way, rigid frame, stock rake, about 2 inchs stretch in the down tubes, 4 or 6 over single or dual disc and a 16 or 19 inch front wheel makes them sit just right.

Maybe it's time for me to build another one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just to be clear, when I said "...I'm not going to break the trend..." I was referring to the "I don't like choppers" trend, not the "hate Kpaul" trend. I am going to pretty much remain a spectator when the forums go that way. You seem to annoy enough people to get plenty of responses without me chiming in. And, I don't think it's just the "GPTB" who gets annoyed with you. You seem to have a universal fan club.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Venturing in to dirt bike coverage I imagine would require a whole lot more resources than maybe MO can take on now? I'm not sure, obviously it's another world than the streets. Where choppers are at least still street (unless you give one to mscuddy then it may end up doing whoops).

Funny enough though, motocross bike development is heading in the same direction as sport bikes. Titanium this, magnesium that, $$$'s, and tons of performance that only the best of riders know how to access. Lots and lots of work to shave 12 ounces and add 3 hp. I guess with motorcycles getting so dang close to perfect finding ways to improve them is coming at a premium and in tiny increments.

It will be interesting to see who's going to make a leap and produce the next GSXR or CFR and leave all the other manufactures behind for five years. My guess is it won’t be Big Dog.

Anyway, I digress. I like dirt too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Right, very entertaining review. And, like someone else posted, it's great to see someone actually review these things for the real world. Whew, and I was just about to drop 25 large on one and sign up for the Iron Butt.

Actually, that is one of the unique things about MO- different than any other magazine or Internet site I've seen- is that you'll do the unconventional in motorcycle reviews. For example, throwing in a Daytona, Ducati, and Aprilia when doing a comparo to discover the baddest sport bike. Everyone else will for the most part cover just the big 4. And, if they do add in more manufacturers the information given on each individual bike is reduced to a few lines. For example, everyone knew the Daytona wasn't going to stack up. But, it was nice to see how much or how less.

Same deal with this chopper. You know it's going to suck to ride in the real world. But, it sure was entertaining for someone to do it and write about it. Any other mag would have been talking billet, chrome, and "art" but never ride the thing.

Anyway, detaching lips from rear end and calling it a night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep, we're kidding Chicago.... one chopper review in the history of MO is just way too many choppers for all you MO-rons to handle... its all a joke. Tomorrow when you login, all the chopper stories will be gone. Psych!

One more thing about that post - some of those internet savvy motorcycle sophisticats actually like to read about bikes like this, some of them are even smart enough to RUN a website, figure that one out!

Too bad those that like chops aren't MO subscribers yet.

The chopperflop site however, made both sean and I snarf our milk and cookies! thanks for that one. -ap

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
More and more, on reflection, I think the Daytona stacks up well in the "real world". It was in a "baddest sport bike" test it came up a little short. In a "baddest sport bike that is most comfortable/versatile/livable test" I would expect it to compete strongly for an overall win.

·
Registered
730 Posts

LOL...we talking different era......I built mine in 69-70 era and had less than 1K in it...course it NEVER ran good. I could a bought a real nice custom pan for 900 but didnt have the cash...thought building my own chopper would be cool and I bought parts payday to payday.Even accounting for inflation things have really changed

·
Registered
409 Posts
I was going to post something about Indian Larry's bikes and how MO really needs to review one of them or interview the man. He is one of those rare breed who understands 'Bikers' and 'Motorcyclists', and how they are alike and different.

Saying that, he sounds like he knows bikes and how to make them work. Yeah, a chopper that turns. Good luck, see what you all can do!

BigJames

101 - 120 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.