Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Who cares if people say you sold out. You got to ride the 1000 before most of the people out there even got to see one in real life. If that is the benefit of selling out then Im selling too!!! As far as the bike goes, I think that the Open class shootout should be good. Maybe Suzuki gets de-throned this year?? I think so.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow, I'm posting before KPaul links a political site. Mark this day...

It's been awhile since I've been really excited about a sportbike comparo. This year's open class shootout is killing me, I've been picking up all the British mags as they scoop us on every damn thing and the writing's better to boot, still I search in vain. You guys are the only U.S. bike media source I pay much attention too anymore, and the suspense is driving me nuts. I can't stand it much longer fellas...

In the meantime, what with the bad weather and all, can't you guys find some KLRs, DR-Zs, and XRs to slide around on and wheelie off curbs? It's nothing but rain, snow, freezing rain, more rain, and the occasional frogs from heaven here in the Buckeye state right now and the moto-itch has me scrambling for ointment.

Whaddya say? D-P shootout? Okay, maybe not right now, these things don't just happen in a day, but any comparison would help ease the pain...

-=Goggles=-

·
Registered
141 Posts
The dyno chart is interesting. Looks like the sucker just wants to pull like a V-twin superbike with linear HP gains right up to 11k. No muss, no fuss.

So far, the British rags seem to agree that the ZX10 "feels" faster than the CBR, but who knows how that'll translate into numbers. And then there's the stealthy R1 ... I haven't seen any tests yet, just the Daytona news of DiSalvo putting it on the factory superbikes. This shootout is going to be a hoot. I'll bet you guys could get some serious jack if you auctioned off a guest spot for your comparo. Of course, if you're looking for volunteers ...

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Congrads Sean Great Review

Once again MO has the videos, pictures and writing that sets it apart from the rest. Would like here some impressions on riders who are about 6'0 and 200 lbs if you could. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Saweeet!

Is it just me or is this bike prettier (and smaller) looking in real life than in any of the stock shots we have seen thus far? I really thought Honda had a fugly misshapen bike on their hands until I saw some of the beauty shots of the silver one. I even like the seperate flat black of the lower fairing.

MO you have done it again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: What happened to the mighty V-Twin RC51?

I find it interesting that KPaul proclaims his allegiance for "equal" displacement engine configurations (in-lines vs. v-twins) but in the race of life wants "Kerry (in)equity". Does this mean that "he" can't really compete against the rest of us??? Just wondering why you would have opposing standards???? And this is defined as "greatness"???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well - The most amazing thing is that You actually managed to test-ride a honda without thrashing it... At least not on tape, that is. No knee-dragging pictures (As of yet) - sounds and reads like a relatively civilized review (As opposed to getting baby v-strom out in the canyons), as civilized as this bike seems to be...

Job well done.

Can't wait for the track comparo.

Oh, and JB - If you don't have 12$ for MO subscription, why would you want to read about a 10000$ machine?

Food for thought, from the other JB.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I'm getting too old to be able to ride that bike fast enough to tell if it is as good as you say. But my eyes still work. Honda has now made a sport bike that looks better than the current sportiest Ducati. Hell may now commence to freeze over. ( And I dearly love Ducatis.)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have three things to say:

1) Although I am a cruiser man to the bones, it really got to me watching the dyno run and hearing the screaming engine. Maybe there is something in this plastic acne whiney sportsbike scenario after all?

2) superimposing the Gicksers dyno curves on this one, it still Gicks the arse wiiiideee through the rev range.

3) Why does'nt MO introduce, apart from pics and vids, also a good quality (192 kbps) MP3 sound clip on a dyno run that I could blow through my stereo on those lonely saturday nights when the family has already gone to sleep and the neighbors have reached their REM II stage?

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sean,

You hit the nail square on the head when you said "Not a wiggle." and "the overwhelming impression is one of stability and confidence."

This one area that let's you go to and stay at your personal limit makes any given rider on the street that much faster then any of the competition regardless of something that's just a little faster in the tests.

Well written and right on the money I look forward to seeing your 2004 Open Class Sportbike war test!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My subscription expires today, so I may re-up - good review.

Please keep in mind, I have never had the oppourtunity to test ride a sportbike. I need more information on things like how smooth and glitch-free the FI is and how much driveline lash is present. As a track day addict, these things are more inportant to me than dyno plots.

Nice start, a few more details would really make the review first rate!

Cheers,

Don

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.