Motorcycle Forums banner

2004 FJR1300/ABS Info

19K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  dlynch 
#1 ·
This is the one thing that had held me back from considering to buy one.

For the dollars, and with the already impressive spec, I couldnt understand why ABS wasnt offered straight away, especially as they already had a great system on the shelf. Well done Yamaha!

#27 ·
Just got my new issue of Motorcycle Consumer News and guess what the cover story is...

You got it! The FJR, ST1300, and K1200GT shootout. Not to be a spoiler, but let me just say, the outcome wasn't even close! My brother got an FJR last year and I just sent my deposit in for my '04. I ride an Aprilia Futura with all the trick stuff that can be had and as soon as I get back from Deals Gap in May, it's gone. I sold my ST1100 to get the Futura in 7/01 and would have gotten the FJR if they had been available then. Believe me, the articles are all true. This is the most awesome motorcycle I've ever ridden and I can't wait to get my own. We drove 9 hours each way to get my brother's bike ($9999 OTD, BTW) and had the best buying experience ever from D&H in Cullman AL. I can't wait to go get mine from them, too. This stuff is all about adventure, excitement and a little risk. If you're a Money Market type, get something else and leave the best bike for the gamblers! Some people have to have everything perfect or they don't play. I say GREAT!! That just means whiners don't ride FJR's!

#28 ·
Capitalism, redivivus.

This is *exactly* my biggest single beef by far with the industry. I wouldn't buy a house I haven't walked through (or talked with the architect and builder of). I won't buy a car without a test drive. Heck, I won't buy a computer without mashing some buttons in the local CompUSA, ya know?!

And by the way, Dodge would not have gotten my business last year if they had said, "Well, Mr. Romano, we're pleased to offer test drives at our plant in Detroit, twice a year, for ten minutes, on a closed course that in no way approximates the conditions under which you will use the truck, following fifteen other test-drivers, at 60mph, behind a glorified salesman we call a 'road captain.'" What utter bee-ess.

And don't give me that crap about the bike industry not being as big as the auto industry. It's not that they're less big, it's that they are by and large, less professional. And they get away with that in this country. The bike business would stop dead in its tracks if they tried to pull ANY of this crud on the Continent, or in the UK.

And as a matter of personal preference: Sure it makes 99lbs/ft. of torque, when the motor is spun up half to the moon. My Road King made peak torque at rpms of, like, four. Which is much more useable. And those FJR bags are *not* 'cavernous', 'voluminous', 'commodious', 'gear-inhaling', or even 'sizeable'. My GS (which I test-rode for an hour and a quarter, on my roads, near my house, in my traffic--along with three other BMW models) has Jesse bags, which give more space in the small side than most bikes give in a top-box.

And I also got killer financing. So the asian makers are not the only 'good deals' to be had, primarily because I *know* what kind of deal I'm actually getting.

**Single girls and twin sisters forever**

#29 ·
Why is Yamaha doing the PDP thing? One bike; the GTS1000. They got burned in the U.S. introducing this overpriced, ahead-of-its-time bike.

They are making sure it doesn't happen again...

Outta here...Charles (viper)

'00 RWB R1 #34...'cuz there can only be THE ONE.

'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha' of all modern sportbikes.

'03 FJR 1300...'cuz ya' gotta keep HER happy.

Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19C25C1

#30 ·
Re: Capitalism, redivivus.

It's actually a self-weeding process with the result being that you probably won't see a pinhead riding an FJR. The new MCN article on sport-tourers pretty much hits the nail on the head. You could get the top rated FJR (with ABS) for $12599 or the bottom of the barrel Beemer for only $17999. Tough choice.

#31 ·
Re: Capitalism, redivivus.

Yarbie's right...I've not seen a single pin-head riding an FJR ;-}

Outta here...Charles

'00 RWB R1 #34...'cuz there can only be THE ONE.

'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha' of all modern sportbikes.

'03 FJR 1300...'cuz ya' gotta keep HER happy.

Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19C25C12&cb=PA

#33 ·
Dealers here in Minnesota are sitting on 04 FJR1300's without ABS and are playing "Let's make a deal" on them. Since my back is so screwed I'm looking at this route. I still don't want to give up my sportbikes! :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.