Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
RC8 exhaust

Did you notice where the exhaust is on the RC8? Take that, Buell-haters. Apparently KTM thinks a lot like Eric Buell when it comes to the mass centralization benefits of putting the muffler under the motor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: RC8 exhaust

KTM thinks a lot like Buell? I guess so - V-twin, two wheels, and an under-the-engine exhaust. I think the similarities end there, though - they actually developed a compact, modern engine, but maybe they didn't have any tractors in Austria to copy.

·
Registered
911 Posts
With all these great bikes coming into the States from KTM, they seem poised to take a big share of the market, I say bring the RC8 into production and bring it to the USA, the sooner the better. I want one!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like what I see coming out of KTM. I think the 640 LC4 Adventure is the best looking dual-sport out there by a long shot. And the new 990 Duke is an impressive machine.

I do wish the KTM website was a bit better. They only have one picture of each motorcycle and it's always a side view. Heck, even Buell has more than one photo for each of their bikes.... (just to keep up the Buell bashing from the above thread).

I'll have to wait and see an RC8 in person before I comment. I hated the new Ducati 999 when I saw the picutures, and changed my mind completely after seeing it in the flesh.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like what I see coming out of KTM. I think the 640 LC4 Adventure is the best looking dual-sport out there by a long shot. And the new 990 Duke is an impressive machine.

I do wish the KTM website was a bit better. They only have one picture of each motorcycle and it's always a side view. Heck, even Buell has more than one photo for each of their bikes.... (just to keep up the Buell bashing from the above thread).

I'll have to wait and see an RC8 in person before I comment. I hated the new Ducati 999 when I saw the picutures, and changed my mind completely after seeing it in the flesh.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
So, can you race it in the new 1000cc SuperSport Class in AMA next season? I can see some privateers on them if KTM would lend a little support. If all goes well KTM may try a factory team.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One thing's for sure....

...they aren't phucking around.

They've got the dirt/rally side of the equation very well covered.

Now the Duke 990 might just biitch slap every other hooligan bike currently in production.

Jury is a long time away for the RC8, but if one is to take a cue from KTM's other bikes, I'd be very surprised if it is not a fine specimen as well.

KTM appears very passionate about their products and motorcycling in general. From what we've seen thus far, I think prosperous times are in their future.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The LC8 is certainly German in style but not butt-ugly like some of the BMWs.

Hey, if a company the size of KTM can build a newly designed V-twin engine, why can't HD come up with one for Buell? HD certainly isn't strapped for cash and there's no reason not to put out the effort. Since the Buell and Sportster lines aren't considered "real Harleys" by the snooty element of the big Twin crowd there shouldn't be much downside to putting an all new liter class V-twin in these bikes. It might attract more younger riders. THe V-Rod certainly doesn't.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I believe Eric Buell is on record saying that he'll never do a liquid cooled motor. I think this bike might change his mind.

The VRod motor is too big and heavy to put in a bike like this. Who knows? Maybe Willie G has a skunkworks project that we don't know about......

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think its in the Motorcyclist article where the prez of KTM is quoted regarding their v4 GP engine being shelved: "It would be too much money to go GP racing, and if we can't be competitive in racing and have a street bike to back it up, we won't do it." There's obviously no truth to this with the LC8 Duke, but based on a published comment like that, I'd be very surprised if KTM didn't enter Superbike racing in a big way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: RC8 exhaust

now the trick is to get Eric to dump the revised Sportster motor he's got (and done a right good job on it considering what he had to work with) and mount an LC8. Now *that* would put the rest of the sportbikes on notice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think the emperor has no clothes. Especially the street bikes KTM has been foisting upon the wide world are hideous!!! This is a bike only a mother buzzard could love through squinted eyes. I like the concept but please get an Italian with a sense of beauty to put a pen to it. Just looking towards it the tuetonic egdes on this thing look like they would give your eyes a paper cut!

·
Registered
50 Posts
If the Adventure does well here in the USofA, maybe it will convince Honda that there's a profitable market for the Transalp in the US.

At any rate, in a year or so I anticipate giving a serious look at the KTM Adventure or Duke with the new engine.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.