Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well...

Yamaha has been on a 2 year refresh cycle on the R1, so it probably will be. But those photos are just artist-conseptions, so who knows what the final bike will be like.

We will also probably have a Blade-replacement (CBR-999cc, without the Blade name and with the Honda GP styling), we definatly have the ZX-10R (monocoque chassis, ZX-636 meets GP styling), and undoubtedly a GSX-R600 (undoubtedly with current GSXR-1Kish styling).

·
Registered
108 Posts
These examples have been around for a good while. The artist's conception shown on the French site was part of an MCN R1 prognostication piece back in May or June, I think.

I happen to think the grainy photo-like example is probably close to reality, but we'll know soon enough, I suppose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one who's not impressed... A lighter, faster Japanese bike... whoopee. They're still soulless, IMHO. Plus, it still looks like 10 other crotchrockets I see out on 39th every Saturday night. C'mon, I know Yamaha makes great bikes. Just give me something that every fiber of my being wants to own! An R1 just doesn't do it for me...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think everyone will have a new liter bike next year after losing face to Suzuki. My hopes are undertail exhausts. I know they are hot on the buns but I love the look and clearance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nothing wrong with advances. As for soul, may or may not be different to performance. It seems to be the US preoccupation with performance and price and sports bikes thats makes manufacturers do this.

You may like the cruiser class, as they are getting bigger and heavier!!

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Yeah, where's the innovation in sportbikes? Do something different. Perimeter brakes. An ultra-short wheelbase for handling. Belt drive (the efficiency of a chain and maintenance-free). And is there a law you have to have a fuel tank? Why not put the gas in the frame? Hell, you could probably put the engine oil in the swingarm.

Yep, nobody's thinking outside the box. Same ol' same ol' constantly-improving power-to-weight ratio. Wake me up when we get telepathic steering and antigrav drive.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Hey, they're just trying to give the buyers what they will pay for. Trackready sportbikes are the in thing. Of course about the same percentage of these bikes will hit the track as the percentage of SUVs that see a dirt road.

Now, the Big4 need to also provide for the sportbikers other accessories that they need. Around here apparently that would be designer-logo ball caps, t-shirts and sandals to match the CBRYZGSXZXRRR's paint scheme.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Maybe there's a new CBR1000.. but Honda's discounted the 954 some 2 grand. You can get one fer $8500. Or you can wait and pay 11000 for the new one. Either bike's gonna be far beyond 99.999% of the buyer's capabilities.

But you won't have bragging rights at the local bistro if you buy the ancient hopelessly obsolete last year's WWII-era CBR954. You'll just have to hang your head in shame because all the mags will tell you how much incredibly better the new CBR1000 is.

P.S. Don't go to the track on yer new CBR1000. It's more than mildly embarassing to get passed by some old guy on a KTM Duke. Instead just hang with your buddies at the Rock Store and compare magazine reviews and dyno charts. And don't forget the matching power ranger suit. Be extra careful 'cause you don't want to get a scratch on either the bike or the suit.

PPS. Get some sandpaper and sand down the sidewalls of your tires to hide the chicken strips.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Form over function? I see beauty in form follows function. I prefer functional form and a comfortable ride. I don't think cornering clearance is going to be hampered by the exhausts of any of the new sportbikes, on the street.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re:Antiques

Don't forget to sand those knee pucks to match the tires!

But you're right, who would buy one of those rolling turd CBR 954's ?. All the magazines say the GSXR 1000 is faster and handles better. Even the old version "02 R 1 is faster, it said so on the TV commercial.

If you're gonna' run with the fast boyz you need the latest up to date ride, Then you have to toss all that stock garbage like the Titanium exhaust and jetting or EFI chip and everyone knows the stock brake pads belong on a bus.

Yessir'ee if you're going to compete on the street you NEED the same mods the racer's use, otherwise you might as well be riding an antique A/O cooled Suzuki or Harley or something.

It's just no fun unless your bike is the fastest.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.