Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am all for technological advancement, and I do like Yossef's insights on the improvements over last years offerings, these types of motorcycles leave me a little nonplussed. I'm afraid that the capabilities of modern sporting motorcycles exceeded my own several years ago. VWW

·
Registered
373 Posts
As always, I enjoy Yossef's reporting. Glad to see the vidcam is working once again, but wish there was a QuickTime video provided. These bikes are getting wickedly fast and agile and I agree with the first poster...they are getting far beyond my scope of skills. Still, it's great to see such engineering brought to fruition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tasty package...

Wow, Suzuki is back in the 600 class.

Sky high redline and useable power, Suzuki-slick gearbox and killer brakes.

I was drawn to the 636 engine, but hesitant about the Kawasaki's steering quickness for the street. Sounds like the Suzuki has a comparable engine with a more stable chassis.

Looking forward to the shootout!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Regardless of skill level, there is nothing quite like reaching your own limit in the controlled environment of a racetrack. Suzuki is my pusher. Give me my new designer drug. I am addicted. I hope I am never cured :)

This could be the track day tool of choice. I need one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same here, I am fascinated by bikes like this, but can't imagine getting one for the street. They do not seem to make any sense outside tracks.

Yossef, nice review and video, you did seem to have a moment in the corner before the chicane with the rear apparently stepping out, ouch! That's no drizzle either, that's called rain! ;-)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great job, Yossef. I wholly agree that, while the new liter crowd are sexy and wicked, the 600 battle is where it's at for most mortals. I bought a 636 last year and love it for both street and track, but damn if the Suzuki hasn't gone and raised the bar for everyone. Excellent report on an exciting bike.

And while I know styling is subjective, any thoughts about how it looks in person? Gixxer's usually strike me as origami in a paintball explosion, but from the picts, I'd have to say this is the first race-rep 'Zook in a long time that might actually qualify as 'gorgeous.'

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I essentially agree with you. However the improving chassis in recent years make riding one of these things a safer propostion than in years past. If you are into mainly canyon carving and such these bikes still make a good choice for riding off the track.

I want one. Of course, I want one of everything. Except maybe a Rune.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have come to look at it this way: it makes going fast much easier than it was on bikes several years older. Try doing a lap on a 1994 CBR900, then a lap on a new ZX-10R-----which one do you think you will do better on? Obviously no average or even above average rider can take a bike to the absolute limit and emerge unscathed, but every new successive model makes a higher level of performance and speed accessible to everyone than they could have attained previously.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Abe, while I agree that modern motocycles handle better, and are capable of better lap times than the bikes of yore, The difference between this years hot setup and any sport bike from the big four made in the last few years is infinitesimal for the average canyon carver. Unless you are a top echelon rider, even the difference in your lap times will be negligible. VWW

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Which bike you will go faster on is the one you are most comfortable with regardless of year, design, or horsepower ratings. Going faster isn't about twisting the throttle harder. It's about how the bike handles with YOU riding it. That differs greatly from person to person. What Rossi likes and what you can handle are probably much different. I always hate to bring this up, but Keith Code related that his students were stuck at the same speeds for many years even after the technology advances in tires, chassis, and suspension should have had them going 2 seconds faster per lap. So, to answer your question about which one I would do better on, is I would probably be exactly the same on both. This would be especially true on a tight course, where the HP advantage would never show it's face.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Totally agree about Suzuki styling. I think GSX-Rs have been the ugly duckling for awhile now.

This 600 is a beauty though, but so are the R6 and 636. Really, other than the Honda, they all look stunning this year!

I just want to know how bad are the ergonomics for street use. I'm 5'11" and the Suzuki looks sweet on paper, but the voice of reason in my head keeps telling me to get something more sensible like a Speed Four/Speed Triple or a ZRX. As a daily commuter the GSX-R might really suck. I guess it's all about compromises...

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: How cool is this?

That guy isn't going anywhere. He figured he wore out the KPaul name, so he will re-invent himself and be right back. Notice we haven't seen BrokenLink lately?? LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Begs the question, "Why commute on a GSX-R?" For all practical purposes you'd never be able to exploit that 16K RPM redline, nor the peak power in day-to-day traffic...

The Triumph Speed-Four, however, has been noted for its ergonomics, it's street-usable power, and it's uniqueness. Not only it a more sensible option, it's also got the "cool" factor, since you won't see them parked on every street corner. They also run (for a 2k4) around $6500.

Your call. The "mystique and allure" of a killer 600 Suzuki, or the fun usability of a stately Triumph. :)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: How cool is this?

Nah. It ain't NPlateau. He's basically a rational guy.

I propose that we take advantage of our shortlived freedom. I propose we all pop open a beer (or whatever beverage one desires) precisely at 8PM MST. Factor in your time zone. We should all be someplace where we could have a moment of celebration at that time. I'm going on a snowmobile trip for a few days so I'll be able to revel in this freedom until Tuesday.

I'm sure it'll have come crashing down by then.

He's lurking..... his fingers are twitching..... little screams are piping from his throat.... resistance is crumbling....

One more thing. Today's link.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.