Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
If it's moving into "Japan's turf", it will be in the high rent district. My bet is you could buy and FJR AND Hayabusa for very close to the same price. It looks like a nice enough bike, but I bet a few large over 20 is going to be the going rate.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
While it looks like one heck of a bike it's price will likely keep its sales down in MV Agusta numbers. No real threat to the Big4.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I were rich and lived somewhere without speed limits, this would be it! No doubt.

Unfortunately, neither of those things describes me. Hell, I don't even own a bike as of 2 days ago. Why am I here? Arrrgh. I love motorcycles, I cannot be without!!!

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
I really like the Italian-esque rear but they kind of blew it with the fat front. The goofy paint schemes just accentuate this.

Perhaps a solid color would help. With some bags on it, I'm likin' it.

How do you say armchaps in German?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Boring Metal Winner (BMW)

Umm...ever ride one of these overpriced, gimmicky, eyesores? I've owned and ridden many bikes - from American cruisers to Japanese supersports. I've found that each bike has it's own unique character, strengths, and weaknesses. BM's are no different. What they may lack in visual appeal (purely subjective) they more than make up for in engineering innovation, quality, and dealer support. If you think ABS and telelever suspension are gimmicks, you've obviously never experienced these features in action. As far as price, BM's are less expensive then Harley's and about the same as Ducs. BM's hold their value too - unlike Japanese bikes. As far as the R1200 CL - ya, every bike maker puts out a clunker now and again, but to judge a new bike before it's even hits the dealer floor pretty much negates your credibility and opinion.

Peace,

Hubb

·
Registered
373 Posts
Re: Boring Metal Winner (BMW)

Millimeter by millimeter the Japanese surpass German engineering by a Tokyo Kilometer. Paying more for something that can be had for less only works for something iconic like Harley-Davidson, but not for BMW. If there were beauty associated with it such as MV Agusta, then I would spring for it once again, but this is not the case...it's just another BMW.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Yossef's finest hour

In my opinion, Yossef this was the your best review that I have read. Great history lesson, good technical details and an excellent riding impression. Reading this story was a great treat on very rainy night here in Seattle. Wish I could say the same for the bike.

As longride said I don't think it can compete with Japan Inc.

However, doesn't it provide the future platform for other derivatives for the market niche that BMW is know for, sport tourers.?

Some quick comparo numbers support longride assertions:

[*]ZX-12 dry weight is 463 lbs.

[*]K1200S dry weight is 515 lbs .

[*]ZX-12 has 165 horsepower at the wheel. measured by MO a few years ago.

[*]K1200S has 167 horses from BMW specs. in reality probably less.

Good thing you can get it in BMW classic Indigo blue metallic, cause the two tones are as ugly as the tribal graphics of the new CBRs. Styling is better than I expected but not in the Italian ballpark. Great Review Yossef, ok I said that already.

·
Registered
579 Posts
How often?

There are some legit innovations on that bike. I dig it. Something about it says "Walther p99" to me.

Nice article and great pics too...

But umm.. could someone tell Yossef that *** don't mean cigarette over here?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.