Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Yossef's finest hour

In my opinion, Yossef this was the your best review that I have read. Great history lesson, good technical details and an excellent riding impression. Reading this story was a great treat on very rainy night here in Seattle. Wish I could say the same for the bike.

As longride said I don't think it can compete with Japan Inc.

However, doesn't it provide the future platform for other derivatives for the market niche that BMW is know for, sport tourers.?

Some quick comparo numbers support longride assertions:

[*]ZX-12 dry weight is 463 lbs.

[*]K1200S dry weight is 515 lbs .

[*]ZX-12 has 165 horsepower at the wheel. measured by MO a few years ago.

[*]K1200S has 167 horses from BMW specs. in reality probably less.

Good thing you can get it in BMW classic Indigo blue metallic, cause the two tones are as ugly as the tribal graphics of the new CBRs. Styling is better than I expected but not in the Italian ballpark. Great Review Yossef, ok I said that already.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Walther p99

"Something about it says "Walther p99" to me." Who knows given 007's current association with BMWs you might see him on this bike in the next Bond Film. However, Bond uses Walther ppk right? Sorry I don't have any use for handguns (nor assault weapons ) , I'm strictly a rifle and a shotgun man so I wouldnt know the difference between a ppk and a p99. Not that I would deny your right to own a hand gun.

When it comes to handguns my thoughts are summarized by Tom Sellick in the movie Quigley Down Under "Didn't say I didn't know how to use one, just didn't have much use for one" My brother-in-law the ex-cop said "A shotgun and a good dog are the best ways to defend yourself"

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Good reasoning

Yep that is thinking behind the shotgun. Most people don't have the nerve or time to shoot with Dirty Harry efficiency. A shotgun is a point and shoot weapon. However, I think you are right calling the police is better. We have three dogs, an alarm system and video surveillance and recording system. My wife is pretty paranoid but before we were married she had her house broken in twice. The video system has caught a couple guys who were ripping off the neighbor. I still keep my police style shotgun around for the end of civilization as we know it. :)

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Re: Case in point - Iraq

I intelligent man learns from history, his mistakes and science. Thus changes his positions as more info comes about. Trouble is Bush hasn't been around that long (in public life) and he is damn stupid to change his mind. Hey I voted for Bush. Never again. The man is spoiled little rich boy who got special treatment and is a draft dodger to boot.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
mikedard is right:Examples of good engineering going up against institutional biases.

Good discussion you guys. I would side with mikedard on this. An example, having been the owner of a couple of RX7s, I would choose the rotary engine for an example. Let's say piston engines with all their overhead cams and counterbalancers etc are the convential forks and rotary engines with less moving parts, more power pure displacement etc is the BMW front end. Who won that battle and why? Every body knew how to make piston engines, since we have doing it for decades. The rotary engine has a few problems and it was not easliy solved so people turned away from them. But the big deal was institutional biases against the rotary not technical. Now rotary powered cars don't have those problems but still ....is it instutional biases or was it simply the rotary was good but not significantly better than the refined piston design. I suspect the Hossack front end may go the same way unless it gives significant advantage.

Some of us Computer engineers would argue the Mac is another example where institutional biases killed it. Others would say it was the fact that Jobs would not license the Mac HW design to others like IBM did with the PC. Even so the Mac was 10 years ahead of the PC in software functionalitiy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.