Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Re: Useless, Expensive, Weight-Adding Brake Tech

Agreed. Expect the Govt to mandate linked braking in a few years. All thanks to the manufacturers who peddle this crap. The IIHS will get the crazy idea that it is safer and will order their lackeys in the DOT to mandate it.

We barely escaped a linked braking mandate that Carter's wacko DOT Sec, Joan Claybrook, had ready to fly in the 70's. The Reagan Administration mercifully cancelled the rule.

Think we'll dodge this bullet again?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Well, you and I and most of the rest of us here may not be fussing over it, but it's been featured as big news in most of the MC pubs since the first rumors and spy photos emerged. I'm sure it's a very nice bike, but the fact that BMW has ditched some of their own traditions is really the story here. Most people who want a bike like this will take one look, say "cool, a fast BMW," and go straight to the Suzuki or Kawasaki, or even Honda and Triumph dealers. Of course some will buy, especially in Europe, but still...

·
Registered
47 Posts
YoU can go straight to the blue line, next guy follow the green line, the rest of you! Get on the red line...Lemmings... "But still", what was that thought you wouldn't say out loud. Yes indeedee! Fancy eelectrics supension. I dee clares! You means I cans just pus the buton and it'z becomes stiff all over? Yor means the front supension goez up and down and nothin changes? My o myz!!

Wow for a minute there I was someone else.

I'm not afraid to say it, this is a very innovative motorcycle. It'll be interesting to see what the consequence will be in the motorcycle arena, or the reaction of the agglomerate.

Extensive Review!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
It looks nice but I for one would like to see the cancelled Triumph Daytona 1200. This bike was put on ice after word leaked out it was topping over 200mph on the Autobahn and we all know how the European Union likes that nice around number of 186 (300 KPH). From spy photos it looked similar to the Daytona 600 and that would have been one sweet ride with bags.

·
Registered
579 Posts
ok... while I admit to being ignorant about the configuration... I would never use that term. i just thought the thing was actually a V.. not a flat 6.

I've never heard a flat 6 called a 180 v-6... but if I ever did... I think I'd have to slap someone.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Walther p99

Seeing how officers usually only get there to clean up the mess and put the pieces of the puzzle together, its kinda nice for people to take care of themselves.

Last year a guy had his GSXR 1000 stolen and called 911 to report it. He had to wait a long time so he grabbed his shotgun and went looking for it and found his neighbor's boyfriend had run it down the street and was trying to hotwire it. The victim butte stroked the turd in the head knocking him out. Needless to say he obtained an immidiate response from the police, got his bike back in one piece and the turd just got sentenced in the pokey. Otherwise nothing would have happened except him be disapointed with cops, hassled by his insurance, and out of a bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
LOL,

Not so god forsaken, I am moving to Lake Tahoe. Seeing how in addition to motorcycling I mountain bike, climb, and snowboard I think it is great.

I could get a supermotard, and in the winter ride spiked wheels. I can see it already, traffic jam on the way to squaw valley, sweet powder day with a couple of feet of fresh on the ground. Everyone is *****ing and waiting in their cars. I go blatting by on my motard, snowboard slung across my shoulder. I saw a guy do it in a James Bond movie, so it must be possible!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: 2005 BMW K1200S - Pricing

I was at my local BMW shop yesterday (SM Cycle in Victoria, BC) and the sales dude there said the price will be $22k Canadian, the electronic suspension a $2.5k option while ABS is standard equipment. They've already sold the first several that they'll be getting in - some were sold by deposit before pricing was announced. BMW fans sure do have deep pockets I guess.

They had a TV showing a tank-bag-video of the owner's test ride on the Nurburgring. Coooool!

Sadly, I was there to test ride a 2000 Daytona 955 that they had just sold... :-(

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm votin' on servo brakes with my dollars.

Last spring I bought a second bike for two-up riding, an R1100S.

I was not interested in a 2002 or later model because I was looking for an ABS bike without the servo-assist.

ABS is ok with me. If you're good enough to brake better in the wet than the ABS can, and you're doing the kind of riding that warrants it, then for cryin' out loud buy a GSXR750. And when you pass me during the track day, just go around the outside, please.

But servo-assist? That's solving a problem that doesn't exist! I can stoppie on my sport bike with two fingers. Modern brakes are awesome. Not to mention that the servo stuff adds weight and complexity that are better avoided.

After about four months of poking around I found a red 2001 R1100S with ABS and city bags--but no servo brakes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ditch the spellchecker

Great write-up from Yossef, as usual. Looks like the first BMW I might actually want to go take a look at firsthand.

However, the way-numerous typos really detracted from the first-class story. Whoever edited this thing needs to sit down a little longer and make sure the words fit the context of the story, even if they're spelled correctly.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yossef paints a clear picture of whatever he is testing and this one is no exception, it sounds like this bike is a contradiction of sorts, some nice technological features are present, and they result in good performance, we will see if they can get the bugs out in time (vibration and shifting). It sounds like it is going to be pretty expensive, but that is what the loyal BMW riders want anyway, it keeps the rif-raf away from them. And last but not least, it is really UGLY :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nick,

Get something track-worthy. Reno-Fernley and Thunderhill are within easy striking distance of Tahoe. Sears Point/Infineon is not out of the question, either. Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow are a bit farther, but if you are willing to stay overnight prior to a track day, you have five awesome tracks at your disposal!

Hopefully, I'll see you on the slopes, too. For an extremely motorcycle-like experience on snow, check out...

www.tahoecarvers.com

41 - 60 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.