Motorcycle Forums banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Re: Case in point - Iraq

I intelligent man learns from history, his mistakes and science. Thus changes his positions as more info comes about. Trouble is Bush hasn't been around that long (in public life) and he is damn stupid to change his mind. Hey I voted for Bush. Never again. The man is spoiled little rich boy who got special treatment and is a draft dodger to boot.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
mikedard is right:Examples of good engineering going up against institutional biases.

Good discussion you guys. I would side with mikedard on this. An example, having been the owner of a couple of RX7s, I would choose the rotary engine for an example. Let's say piston engines with all their overhead cams and counterbalancers etc are the convential forks and rotary engines with less moving parts, more power pure displacement etc is the BMW front end. Who won that battle and why? Every body knew how to make piston engines, since we have doing it for decades. The rotary engine has a few problems and it was not easliy solved so people turned away from them. But the big deal was institutional biases against the rotary not technical. Now rotary powered cars don't have those problems but still ....is it instutional biases or was it simply the rotary was good but not significantly better than the refined piston design. I suspect the Hossack front end may go the same way unless it gives significant advantage.

Some of us Computer engineers would argue the Mac is another example where institutional biases killed it. Others would say it was the fact that Jobs would not license the Mac HW design to others like IBM did with the PC. Even so the Mac was 10 years ahead of the PC in software functionalitiy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Case in point - Iraq

Hey man I just wanted to check to be sure you hadn't flip-floped - thats all-

"The man is spoiled little rich boy who got special treatment" - this could be said about both men running

but enough with the politics -

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: mikedard is right:Examples of good engineering going up against institutional bia

Hey, I like the duolever. I think it's really cool. I'm just waiting for some objecitive (as possible) views of the thing. To say it's great because it should be according to what it says on paper is a bit of a leap. If it turns out to be a real improvement, I hope some version of it makes it's way onto other bikes and brands. That's all I'm saying.

And by the way, I own two Macs. I love them. I hate to use anything else. But I don't think it was as much a case of institutional bias, as it was a case of shortsightedness. Jobs let Apple be engulfed by the IBM clones because he could not see that the real growth in the PC industry was in the software, not the hardware. Consequently the price of an IBM clone was far less than a Mac. Now, would you pay twice as much for a machine that pretty much does your spreadsheets and word processing the same way as your good ol' IBM PS2? You see, in most ways, the Mac was far superior to the IBM platform. But with the limited number of applications being used in business at the time, why would anyone pay so much more for a it? In light of the cost differential, the Mac was essentially unessesary, at least at first.

My industry was one of the first to recognize the value of the Mac. And from the stories I hear, you couldn't do all that much on them, anyway. But at the time, it was an incredible step forward in print design and production. Problem is most people didn't work in advertising. They were learning to use Lotus and Word Perfect--programs that worked just fine on a cheaper, easily-available IBM clone. (Sound a bit like telescopic forks and duolever, maybe?)

Turns out the Mac ended up revolutionizing the industry anyway after Gates knocked off the Mac OS and its GUI (Which Jobs & Co. stole from Xerox in the 70's). They just almost went out of business in the process.

If duolever is the real deal, you'll start seeing more systems like it in the near future.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Ask Kenny Roberts how well his F-1 designer did with designing the new Proton V-5. Apparently, F-1 and MotoGP are a bit different.

But let's say most MotoGP designers would rather change the telescopic fork, which they probably do because I've been hearing this for years.

Why haven't they done it? Institutional bias? Doesn't sound like it if most of them agree the telescopic fork is a weak point. Everything I've read and heard suggests that everyone in the know thinks that the telescopic fork should give way to a better design. Honda is working with alternative front ends. Do you really think that Honda would hold back a significant breakthrough from their MotoGP operation because of institutional bias? Are you kidding? They'd be the first out there if they had a truly better design. And you'd never hear the end of it. Sh*t they made such a big deal out of Unit Pro Link. Imagine if they built the better-mousetrap-girder-front end.

I'm not saying duolever isn't the better mousetrap. It might be. I would love to see it succeed. I would just like someone who knows to tell us that it actually works better.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Actually, I didn't prove your point. The fact was that Tyrell actually built these cars, raced them, and proved that they were better. I don' t see much institutional bias in the engineering community in that example. They actually tried the new design.

The FIA outlawed them because they were too good and upsetting the competitive balance. If you want to argue that that's institutional bias, be my guest. But that had more to do with money than any particular ingrained, biased mindset--except for that fact that it's pretty well accepted that cars have FOUR wheels (yes, institutional bias, I guess.)

I'm pretty sure that if someone came out with a better front end in MotoGP, the rest of the teams would follow suit.

Now, if some one showed up with a three-wheeled motorcycle, they might have a problem.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yep, this one will be in my barn just as soon as they start to come available used. I think most will agree with me that the nearly $20K price on a new Brick is a bit much. I purchased my current K1200RS used this past July. It's a 2000 that had 5000 miles on it when I brought it home, for $10K. I've never owned a new Beemer, and I've never been sorry for buying a used one. Beemer owners tend to baby their bikes. BTW, the bike I retired to buy my current ride was also a K1200RS. A 1998 that had 155+ thousand miles on it when I handed over the keys to the new owner. I never had to do anything other than normal PM to the bike. Fantastic machines!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cars have four wheels? So you do see?

So you do see. what killed the Tyrell was, personal bais, institutional bais, etc..It can't be eliminated. You can't have racing machines looking like something not close to what we recognize, or can relate to. Because it's a business you have to make money. People pay to see their, colors, number, motorcycles, cars, drivers, win, racing doesn't have to use to much "innovative engineering designs", because they limit the need for that with the rules. Anyway if we can't make a emotional connection the lemmings won't make a money offering (marketing). LOL, Sorry couldn't resist. I'm the same way but I fight it!

I always study my self, trying to find the balance, because not everything can be worked out with a formula. The reality even with formulas is, " The self, the I, is recognized in every act of intelligence as the subject to which that act belongs. It is I that perceive, I that imagine, I that remember, I that attend, I that compare, I that feel, I that will, I that am conscious. --Sir W. Hamilton."

I watched the Mac/PC's before any software was out, (Mac system had usable native stuff) and the standard baised kill qoute then was, "stay true to big Blue". Which I took to mean IBM was the way to go because they were not "long hair hippies", who did these guys think they are!, we not going to let them make us look stupid coming into our privileged field of the computer rocking the boat with "point,cut, paste, and click! The only way that computers can be is to toggle, keycard, or type. When I type a command I want it to do something!!! Many of the not true cliches are passed on from generation-to-generation.

And the standard baised kill qoutes though out this thread mouthed, typed without any thought, doesn't change the fact that the "Tyrell was innovative", "The Mac was innovative" and my statement that "The K1200S is innovative".

Damm time to go I have to get back on the "Blue" line", squeak, squeak, lemmings translation - I have to pay back the Master. They use PC's where I work, now, they took away our Macs. LOL

Thanks for the appropriate thought processes. Great posts.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Re: Walther p99

>The irony is that in States where concealed

>carry is easily issued you don't often need

>one!

Well, you don't need one in Europe either (maybe in Balkans). Its basic maths: nobody has guns => nobody gets shot.

I know you guys love your armour but I feel much safer if all kinds of people are not carrying a gun, concealed or not. I live in Brazil now (soon moving to Buenos Aires though) and this place would be 100 times safer if there were no guns around.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Re: Walther p99

Half the fun here in the states is that you can. With much freedom comes great responsibility. We just have tended to not uphold the last part of that equation lately. Everyone has an excuse for bad behavior and we do a poor job of affixing blame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Yossef's finest hour

Thing is though... I don't think it is intended to compete with Japan. How could it? Certainly not on a price basis. Who else makes a bike like this? Shaft drive, ABS, 170mph...

This thing is like an UBER sport-tourer...

This one, like most BMW bikes, it is just enough different to be in a class by itself. Whether you like it or not is up to you.

Cheers!

·
Registered
64 Posts
515# dry weight?! 50# of that must be in that beautifully and completely over-engineered front-end. Too bad they didn't direct their engineering energy to something like curing cancer - they might have succeeded if that front-end linkage is any evidence. Sure it gets the frame lower, but at what cost/weight? Besides - only those that can afford this thing are going to be able to afford the maintenance on it. Maybe it's the pre-cursor to a shaft driven front end. What's next - CV joints?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really didn't like BMWs. They just looked too funny. Then I got a chance to ride the K12S for 3 days.

Servo-Assisted ABS brakes? Love 'em. No more thoughts about full power braking. Just squeeze with one finger for maximum braking power. Wonderful.

That front end is fantastic. Once you stop trying to use dive and chassis pitch to determine what the front end is doing, you begin to really feel the front end is doing and the feedback is great.

It handles way better than it should. It goes from knee to knee as quickly and easily as the '98 ZX-9R I raced to an amateur championship and it's only slightly more effort than the '01 GSXR-1000 I endurance raced.

This bike is truly different in a great way. On a twisty road, it fully has the potential to leave behind a Hayabusa or a ZX-12.

For high performance street riding there is no better bike.

I don't apologize for being a walking advertisement - the bike is that good.

Greg Gorman

www.gormanonline.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Love the performance but not the looks... felt the opposite about the BMW GT... oh well you cant have everything... and since the new Beemer doesnt please my sense of aestetics I have saved myself some cash... did I mention that the damned bike costs more than many cars! I will keep riding my faithful Triumph Daytona 1200 until Bimota puts a back seat onto the Tesi so that it can please my better half.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.