Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Hex-head engine will prove to be one of BMW's motorcycle line up salvation. I couldn't think of a more fitting BMW model to launch this new engine; kudos to BMW for finally pumping some new life into their motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Finally BMW is heading in the right direction with their motorcycles. I have hung on to my trusty R100GS for 14 years simply because each new offering although technically superior was too heavy and cumbersome for the more difficult terrain that I like to explore. For many years BMW offered some of the lightest big bore motorcycles for public consumption. I'm glad to see that they are on the road back to where they started. VWW

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
I don't get it.

This reminds of the time I bought a hybrid (mountain/road) bicycle, thinking I would get the best of both worlds. Instead, I got the worst comprimise. I ended up buying a mountain bike and a road bicycle. When I want to use my mountain bike as a commuter in college I put street tires on it. I just don't get this category. I think that the Kawasaki Dual Sport would do much better than this bike on the dirt roads and trails. But the bottom line is that you need the right tool I think. I just don't think this over expensive Euro Trash over engineered thing is that cool.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: P.S. Nice review Sean, Great pictures etc

99 Red Balloons biznatch!!!

I agree though. Great review, not so big thumbs up on the bike. I just can't get over the engine design. It makes me uncomfortable. Just one more thing to worry about. To worry aboot. Sorry, was watching a Briddish comedy. Aboot. One mo' time. Aboot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some Details Please

Glad to see everything went well for MO this time. Nice work and nice pics. I would ask for some more details about the brakes and the engine feel. I'm not a GS type guy, but put this engine in an R1200R and it will be my next street bike. How are the brakes to use? Is it true you have almost no braking power with the engine off, say when walking the bike around the shop? How about that pothole in the power at 5K? Monster PITA or minor annoyance? And did you pick up any hints about which model gets the new engine next?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I rode BMW's in the late 80's through 90's and really enjoyed them. After riding sportbikes for the last 10 years they were one of my first stops after deciding to get a sport-tourer, unfortunatly they had progressed in a direction I didn't want to go, and after losing a grand on an "error of judgement" I bought the bike I should have got in the first place.

The GS series has been one of their top sellers ever since it came out. For those interested it looks like this latest version is the best yet, and Seans right, a Tiger-Vstrom-1200GS comparo. is deffinately in order, though I can tell you which one I'd buy without reading it.

Of note is the software glitch with the trip computer, as I read Automobile Magazine as well as bike mags. one of the issues they've brought up with the BMW and Benzino's is their slavish devotion to electronic oneupmanship and the resultant technical glitches of increasingly complex electronic friperies. Looks like they're carrying over to the motorcycle line as well.

EFI and electronic ignitions are about as advanced as I want to get for my bikes. In my Luddite point of view the rest is just excess, fine for cars and airplanes-too much for bikes

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re:

I really like BMW's big bike turn signals. Once you get used to them, they are very intuitive and unobtrusive. Their "standard" type turn signals on the 650s are all screwed-up though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have just completed the 1st 1000km inspection and really like the GS. Rode my 97 R1100R (which I quite liked ) for a few miles the other day and it now feels like a truck. The GS is larger, higher at the inseam but feels lighter and definitly more agile. Huge inprovement in the transmission and clutch and the very anoying vibration (the biggest reason why I wanted a new / different bike) over about 4500 rpm appears to be significantly reduced (haven't gone over 5000 rpm yet as am still breaking in). Got 410 km on my second tank of gas - to empty - the gas gage wasn't working leaving me stranded on the freeway - seems the arm on the float was bent wrong and the float got hung up on the side of the tank.

They have done a tremendous job on the bike and my biggest ***** to date is that the BMW logos are snapped into the plastic on each side of the tank and would not survive an hour while parked in any urban environment - why didn't they mould them into the plastic so as not to attract little fingers. Have already removed mine and will replace when I sell the bike. Guess it's good for th parts business. they will probably cost 30$ each for 3 $ worth of plastic.

Calgary Canada

·
Registered
71 Posts
>It is now good enough that I would need to do a >back-to-back comparison test, to determine the >best all-around bike between an R 1200GS, V->Strom, Tiger, and 950 Adventure. Hmmm.... >Perhaps a grand MO comparo / adventure tour is >in order!

WTF? Ducati snub you guys? Ever hear of a Multistrada?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Nope, the girl in pics 47 and 48 is "Charlie" a press cordinator for BMW's events group. She was gracious enough to play "model" for me, because I figured it would make a few of the detail shots more interesting.

Charlie is pretty, however, my finace' Natalie is one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen. She loves motorcycles too, so I'll probably have a pic or two of Natalie in an upcoming product review or bike test. -Sean

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm getting a serious case of motolust for one of these things. Too many bent wheels on the pothole-infested roads in the northeast for the sportbikes I've been riding lately (4 in the last 5 years). This just might be the ticket.

Thanks for a great article, and congrats on the engagement! Bring on the comparo!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As soon as one comes into the two BMW dealers near my house they are sold. If the refinement of this model is a precursor to all their new models to be released, BMW has substantially changed everything about they think and build motorcycles.

Maybe you can find some vinyl BMW decals to apply in the original emblem locations?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.