Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Re: R/K/ST/RT=Alphabet Suppe

Okay, here goes. R is for Rad, which means bicycle. BMW make aircraft engines and cars as well, you know. Early R numbers are model numbers, but later ( post '68) they indicate capacity as well, so R1100 is 1100 cc, and so on. K is for a German word I've forgotten meaning 'project', since they spent ages designing their first non-boxer engine in the early 1980s, known only by its K number, but when it was released to the public they decided to call all the in-line engines Ks: K100, K75, and so on.

ST in this case (2005 R1200ST) means Sport Touring. RT is their usual label for their fairing-and-luggage tourer: when the first R100RT came out in the mid 1970s it was said to stand for Rally Touring, i.e. going a long way and taking your camping gear with you, as opposed to the sleeker RS, or Rally Sport, where you took less gear with you and stayed in hotels! There was an earlier ST, the R80ST, in the early 1980s, which was a street-tyred version of the original R80G/S ( note the slash) where the ST stood for street, or Strasse in German. G/S, by the way, stood for Gelande/Strasse, or Off-road/Street. More modern G/s's have lost their slash and are just GS. Does that help clear the fog?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yup, this appears to be what I've been waiting years for. Any of the three in fact.

Knowing BMW, I'd better hold off until the first round of updates are done. The ole pfennig pinchers are way slow in fixing glitches. Heck, they NEVER fixed some of the Type 247 problems - weak charging, crappy coils, etc. In fact they took actions to cause problems such as dropping the circlip from the tranny mainshaft on late 247 - only to quietly put it back for the last 1-200 bikes produced.

Maybe this will finally get me off the duff and kiss the ST11 (aka The Fat Lady) and the R100RT (monolever generation) goodby. Could finally be time to move on.....

Do any of you recall Burns positive reviews of the R11/1150RT's at his ex? Gasp! It is true!

Nice article in current issue of Automobile re BMW & Mercedes' quality problems and steps being taken to rectify. Lets hope that bleeds over to the bikes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Re: R/K/ST/RT=Alphabet Suppe

Yes that helps. So something like R 1150 R is Rad(boxer)-1150-Rally(touring with no luggage ?). Makes sense in sort of a Teutonic-parallel-universe sort of way.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
(/inserting tongue in cheek)

Good job BMW! Finally BMW delivers a motorcycle with a comparable level of performance to a $7400 Suzuki air/oil-cooled Bandit!

BMW riders can now go trolling in groups with V-Rod owners looking for riders on 14 year old Suzuki GSX1100Gs to trounce!

(/removing tongue)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ahh, but one critical question remains, can the RT wheelie? I'll bet if it does the impact of the front wheel touching back down with poor throttle control can be felt in the next county.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
For the price these bikes are selling, you would thing the styling dept. budget would have gotten a raise in the past few years. Might help if they threw a few bucks in that direction. BMW is doing the free ride thing in April and I'm signing up. The thing that floored me, is there are only 3 BMW dealers in the whole state of Illinois. Luckily, all 3 are in northern Illnois, but I really can't figure why there are so few. Are they doing that badly? The good thing is these bikes will never get lost in a crowd. You are at a rally:

"Where is your bike?"

"It's that ugly Beemer over by those other 5000 bikes"

"Okay, I see it"

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.