Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Another good job Yossef. I too found last years 999 to be beautiful. In fact I believe that the new 999 while still a good looking motorcycle is a bit more stodgy looking with the wider faring, and the color matched frame is less pleasing to the eye than the previous editions. VWW

·
Registered
174 Posts
Shazbat nanu nanu

I'm still chuckling over that one.

A friend at the gym has a new 999R. I'm going to have to strong-arm him for a ride.

·
Registered
227 Posts
2005 Ducati 999 - And sporting twins in general

I've been dissing the 999 for its goofy styling ever since it debuted; I was sure David Robb was behind it somewhere.

But this latest incarnation with the revised fairing and color matched frame is much, much better.

BUT--here in Seattle you can buy a 999 for $12000 or drive a few blocks to Moto International and buy a Mille R for $9000. This is not a misprint, as they say. I was by there today and they've got a bunch of leftover Aprilia inventory they picked up from other dealers.

It's unbelievable how cheap the Aprilias are. You can get a new, '04 Factory with Oz wheels, Ohlins, and Brembos for $13,000.

999 versus Mille? If I wanted a sporting twin, there's no contest. The latest generation Mille has the stonkin' performance and just makes me sweat a little harder than the 999.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the interesting story, Yossef. Killing the upper intakes finally gives the front end a cohesiveness that it had lacked. Previous 999's just looked busy to me, with angles and gaps flying at odd angles everywhere, but just a few subtle changes have worked wonders. I guess we can start to forgive Ducati for the impossible task of replacing the 916/996/998 so long as they continue to evolve the V-Twin platform. Better looks, more ponies, less weight ... knock a few (and then another few) thou of the price and they'd almost be Japanese.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Ahh Yossef, sure sounds like the life. I've been a fan of Ducati's since my first ride on a 749 (well ok always). The handling of that bike set a highwater mark that still stands for me. I could change lines mid-corner with no problem at street speeds! The confidence inspired by it's braking and useable power delivery as well would make it my first choice for serious street riding in tight to medium tight "twisties". The sounds it makes going about it's business is music to my ears. With a bunch more power it (the 999) would seem a formidable, user friendly, weapon in the canyon's. I understand that the increased recipricating mass somewhat slows it's "throwability" though (compared to the 749). I hope to get a chance to try one of these new 999's.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: 2005 Ducati 999 - And sporting twins in general

My only concern with the Aprilia would be its teetering financial situation. Ducati and MV Agusta are slightly less teetering-at least for the moment.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Two Italian babes walking their dogs....., the nonchalant glance over the shoulder at the new 999.....Pure magic.

I've always loved the styling of the 999 and this year gets better and better. My buddy and I spent a lot of time looking at Ducati's in general and the 748 and 999 in particular at the Seattle IMS.

Maybe after I get a Bonnie I'll start saving for a Ducati. I was going to buy a TDI Passat, but I guess I can keep the van or drive my wifes car..

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Nah! The 999's "throw" just fine thanks. That one I threw at you last April seemed to hit its mark. -Your loving brother.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Killer dinette set

Listen bro, you'll regret to the day you die not getting that diesel Volkswagon.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Killer dinette set

One of the buildings I check is across the street from the biggest Ikea I've ever seen.......I feel strangely drawn to it........Their stuff is so practical.........I have visions of S 60's and TDI VW's......my mom even drives a Saab........

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Killer dinette set

I'm with you. I'm trying to talk my wife into getting a TDI, either Passat or Jetta when the Subaru finally wears out. A friend has a TDI Golf and get 50 mpg and it has pretty decent power.

It's gonna take a while for the Subaru to wear out, though. Only 144K miles on it now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's that marriage thing

Thing is, I live about six blocks from the Aprilia dealer and they are great people. Owner is a bike guy, service guys are knowledgeable and easy to talk to.

Even if Aprilia went tits-up, which I suppose is possible but improbable, they'd take care of me (at least to the best of their ability).

If I didn't like being married so much I'd get an new Mille!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: It's that marriage thing

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I like the Ducati styling. It screams pure functionality. No RadNoFearShogunWarriorcatertotheSquids graphics or overdone cubist influence. Simplicity has a beauty all its own. Single purpose styling for a single purpose road/track weapon.

Too bad that I can get a Speed Triple and a V-Strom for the same price. Add a ZX6R if you buy slightly used.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Re: 2005 Ducati 999 - And sporting twins in general

Yep, the long term viability (Aprillia) gives me pause too. I hear that there's some great deals on Truimph Daytona's now and that (the 955i) makes me consider multi-bike ownership harder than anything, today, of course the 1050 Daytona could be awesome... a XR400 has been on my list for awhile too. The ZRX stays! Buzz, would you consider adopting me? I understand that your Real son would always be Number 1. Wish I could say I don't eat (or drink) much, or wouldn't potentially cause major legal expenses, I am however housebroken.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.