Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yamaha's marketing "strategy" is as dumb today as it was in '03. BTW, at the ATL CW Bike show, the FJR had a missing saddlebag, paint scratches and was kinda dusty.

Sorry Yamaha, I just don't get it: your "strategy" reminds me of something I saw in the great Bruce McCall's book "ZANY AFTERNOONS" (sadly long out of print) - a fake car ad from a French car - the VUME, a car so exclusive that NONE will be built!

My work take me out on the road occasionally - and I have visited a ton of Yamaha dealers here in the SE - my sample size is about 25 dealers in 4 SE states-I guess that qualifies as a "ton". Nobody I talked to is happy with Yamaha's "strategy". Yes, the occasional extra bike is ordered and they get snapped up pretty darn fast. Ditto for used ones - what few there have been.

Yes, sport tourers don't sell in the numbers that cruisers sell, but here is what dealers have told me ( disclaimer: including ones that are customers of my employer) Generally Sport Tourer riders are older and have more $$ (and most unlikely to vote for whatever creep 'youknowwho' is pushing this week) and are quite a bit more demanding as customers....that is why the "unobtanium" approach is so baffling.

FYI to whoever posted that ST13's cost a lot more: actually the street price of Honda ST is pretty close to FJR list, at least here in the SE. In fact, the street price of an ST std is within $200 or so of the FJR list. The ST ABS is about a grand more...not a deal breaker for a typical sport tourer rider.

It seem to me that Yamaha does not really want to import small quantity botique bikes. I have no problem with that: ya gotta make $$ to stay in bidness and stay healthy. But the continued half assed approach has me completely baffled....

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Oh and one more thing!: those Yamaha nitwits could not be bothered to show a nice blue on at the CW show. Maybe it wasn't available yet...blah, blah, blah.

Honda showed the ST13 in a similar blue - looked great.

Yamaha did not even bother to show a current bike.

Bottom line: they are NOT serious about the sport touring market.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.