Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good breakdown and it explains why full tour'ers, ST's, and standards all are enjoying big sales over the past few years. There are many ways to enjoy motorcycle riding involving unique and overlapping reasons. We are lucky there are a variety of bikes out there that cater to our collective whims. I love riding and I can understand, even if I don't participate in it, every kind of riding style.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Duc ST3 is on my wish list. I sat on an FJR at the International Motorcycle Show this weekend and it just felt to big for my style of riding. 200 to 400 miles a day for the touring side and quick jaunts around town. MO did a good review on ST's that summed up the practical use of a variety of makes. Luckily we have a choice of ST's out there to fit our style of riding (so long as you are willing to pay the price for them:)

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Tell ya what. If you have some money you would like to lose, back up your bullshyt with some cash. Harley sold more motorcycles in 2003 AGAIN, along with having thier 18th consecutive record profit year, and I can prove it easily. Anyone could buy a Harley at list. I did 2 years ago, and I live in Chicago. So how about a little wager that Harley sold more bikes than last year?

·
Registered
406 Posts
"There are many ways to enjoy motorcycle riding involving unique and overlapping reasons. We are lucky there are a variety of bikes out there that cater to our collective whims. I love riding and I can understand, even if I don't participate in it, every kind of riding style."

Hear! Hear!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
What a bunch of horse****e just to buy a bike. Honda has been selling the ST in two iterations since 1990 in this country. Seems to have sold ok. Go to the dealer and get one if you want one. The Yammie sure is nice and I would consider selling my trusty ST1100 to get one. But no way am I going through that level of crap.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
The only benefit you would get with the FJR would be a lot of weight and ABS (if you bought that version).

I put about 40 in-town miles on the FJR and when I went to swap back to my Sprint, I almost threw the thing over, it was so much... smaller, I guess. Significant difference in "presence".

Put the K&N filter and "off-road" pipe on the 955 and keep the Sprint! If you really think you need it, buy a taller windscreen.

BTW, I'm about to put a used set of GENMAR risers and a never assembled set of Silver bags with almost all mounting hardware (minus the reinforcement plates) up for sale. Also, a never-farted-on seat, a never used stock windscreen and grab handle. They are take-offs (except the risers) from my '03 bike. I used a lot of stuff, including my bags, from my dearly departed '00 Black bike. And I've decided I don't need the GENMARs.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Bush aWol Problem going mainstream media now

"According to The Boston Globe, Bush was in Alabama from May to November 1972 working in the U.S. Senate campaign of Republican Winton Blunt. He was required to attend drills at an Air National Guard unit in Montgomery. But there is no evidence in his record that he did so. William Turnipseed, the retired general who commanded the Alabama unit at that time, told the Globe in 2000 that Bush never appeared for duty there."

Click here for more details

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep, Yamaha is taking a similar approach with the FZ6. My favorite dealer has already sold six of the eight FZ6's he'll be getting, and the two remaining bikes (color TBD) will go to the next two people who make those $500 deposits. In the meantime, the Honda 599 will probably be readily available all summer long.

It certainly is interesting to compare the two approaches. I imagine that Yamaha will lose some FZ6 sales to Honda this year, but they'll also probably have a healthy waiting list for next year's model.

Personally, I wish they'd be a little less conservative. In many ways, the FJR1300 and the FZ6 are better than the competition. I guess the dealers have mixed feelings.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I dunno what you guys are whining about the difficulty in ordering the bike. If we Euros want to buy Rune - which is not type approved to European Union - it goes in four easy steps:

1) Apply U.S. work permit

2) Move to U.S.

3) buy, register and insure Rune

4) move back to Europe and bring Rune as "moving goods"

So what were you saying about the crappy web ordering process getting on your nerves?

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, to be fair, 'wings are considerably more open than any of the cars you mentioned. It would be more accurate to compare a 'wing to a somewhat minimalist touring roadster.

And, well, I'd have to say that the answer to why someone would choose the 2 wheeled version to the 4 is the fact that it can be more fun to take a bike instead of a car. I'll certainly agree that a 'wing is more plush than a 996, but it's still a lot closer to that than it is a Lincoln. Gets better gas mileage, too.

-Kawazuki

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just read it in one of the major mc mags.

I don't keep 'em after I read 'em so I'll call them tomorrow to see ifn' I can find out which one it was.

BTW, I read a decrease for the calendar year not for the extented anniversary model year.

Julian

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got one

Pretty much everything said here is accurate; it's big and fast, and yeah, weighs a few pounds. It ain't the last word in two-wheeled motivation, but it's floating my boat for now. 0-60 in 3.9 secs is plenty fast for me, and the stiffer suspension the put on the 04's and 05's really works.

Take the bags off and it still looks good and feels awfully sporty; on real world world roads the weight is knida nice...holds it down in the bumps and tracks well on windy days...comfy for the pillion too. During the week though, it holds all my crap, offers decent protection, and still goes like hell.

Speaking of demographics, perfect for an old fart like me (49) who's not ready for the geezer-glide or gold thang yet (tho I'll be there someday).

The purchase thing is kind of a pain, but not that big a deal 'cause if you really hate the thing there's plenty of folks who'll take it off your hands for what you paid. Once you've had the bike a few months you forget the wait real fast...

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.