Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yamaha's marketing "strategy" is as dumb today as it was in '03. BTW, at the ATL CW Bike show, the FJR had a missing saddlebag, paint scratches and was kinda dusty.

Sorry Yamaha, I just don't get it: your "strategy" reminds me of something I saw in the great Bruce McCall's book "ZANY AFTERNOONS" (sadly long out of print) - a fake car ad from a French car - the VUME, a car so exclusive that NONE will be built!

My work take me out on the road occasionally - and I have visited a ton of Yamaha dealers here in the SE - my sample size is about 25 dealers in 4 SE states-I guess that qualifies as a "ton". Nobody I talked to is happy with Yamaha's "strategy". Yes, the occasional extra bike is ordered and they get snapped up pretty darn fast. Ditto for used ones - what few there have been.

Yes, sport tourers don't sell in the numbers that cruisers sell, but here is what dealers have told me ( disclaimer: including ones that are customers of my employer) Generally Sport Tourer riders are older and have more $$ (and most unlikely to vote for whatever creep 'youknowwho' is pushing this week) and are quite a bit more demanding as customers....that is why the "unobtanium" approach is so baffling.

FYI to whoever posted that ST13's cost a lot more: actually the street price of Honda ST is pretty close to FJR list, at least here in the SE. In fact, the street price of an ST std is within $200 or so of the FJR list. The ST ABS is about a grand more...not a deal breaker for a typical sport tourer rider.

It seem to me that Yamaha does not really want to import small quantity botique bikes. I have no problem with that: ya gotta make $$ to stay in bidness and stay healthy. But the continued half assed approach has me completely baffled....

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Oh and one more thing!: those Yamaha nitwits could not be bothered to show a nice blue on at the CW show. Maybe it wasn't available yet...blah, blah, blah.

Honda showed the ST13 in a similar blue - looked great.

Yamaha did not even bother to show a current bike.

Bottom line: they are NOT serious about the sport touring market.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
What is meant by "type approved"? Does this mena that people have to get govt approval to produce new products now?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Wellcome to the real world dude.

If a vechicle is imported to EU, it has to fullfill the EU regulations. Check your H-D's indicator lamps, does it have a letter "E" on a small circle, well that does not come from misspelt Eoklahoma.

Type approval has to be done on every motor vehicle to be imported. This is done by a large bunch of people with a combined technical motorcycle knowledge approaching that of a regular sunday rider with fringed arm chaps. Their main job is to do important calculations whether FZ-1 has strong enough fork that the wind does not blow the wheel off at 100km/h.

It is lengthy and expensive process, typically only affordable for large importers. EU is run after all by German attention to detail, French bureacracy and Italian logic. Not that I am bitter or anything, [email protected]

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
>sometimes the EU turns their nose up fro the

>right reasons

Not in this case. Cruising with this intergalactic battleship around the old continent... talk about scoring, if you know what I mean.

- cruiz-euro

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
So you have even worse regulation than we do in the US? And the EU thinks it's going to be the next big world economic powerhouse? LOL!

Do you also need govt approval to make disposable diapers there?

I'm glad that they do such a good job of protecting you from yourself. Who knows what might happen otherwise? Someone in Europe might decide to build air-cooled V-Twins.

Then where would we be?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Air cooled twins?

V-2 engine was an European invention as was the motorbike, combustion engine, both otto- and diesel engines, steam engine, stirling engine, rocket motor and a car, not to mention related essential acessories like red wine and condoms. But we'll try our best not to snigger at lesser countries aping our original designs.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, but we invented the airplane. I could score a *lot* if I had a Cessna. Oh, and one of our most celebrated politicians invented the internet. Try to snigger in cyberspace without one o' those! ;D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with you that they're marketing folks may have some...umm...issues, but the folks who designed and build the bike certainly take the sport touring market seriously. Spend some time on one and that becomes pretty clear. Not that it's "better," but it fits right in the pack with offerings from Duc, Triumph, and Honda.

It's great to have choices!

Those idiots in Atlanta should be canned...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Wow, you guys sure know how to complain about nothing. You're ignoring a huge benefit of this program- RESALE VALUE!!!!!! And these are the same people that use that as a reason to buy a Harley. Go out and buy a Honda ST1300 if you want, but don't be surprised when it's worthless in five years.

The simple fact is that sport touring riders are typically cheapskates, moreso than any other type of rider. This program allows everyone involved to make money.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Smart man. I agree 100%.

Honda's approach is downright stupid in the long run- it may get them some market share right now, but it devalues their products and also conditions the buyers not to purchase Hondas without a huge discount. The car companies are experiencing this exact same problem right now.

I guess it all comes down to what each company wants to accomplish. Market share is a great chest-thumper, but I'd rather buy products from a company that is interested in making money, because that company will be more financially sound in the future.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Two questions about your brilliant analysis:

1) What is inconvenient about the wait? You can continue riding your current bike in the meantime, and most of the wait is over the winter, when most areas of the country are experiencing unpleasant weather.

2) Uncertain wait? What's uncertain about it? $500 guarantees you are getting a bike. What could be more certain than that?

61 - 80 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.