Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Second Post

2nd, post. And, I'll take mine in an alternate universe. Super Sports are great but you can have 'em; I can't take the vibration. And when it comes to exiting a corner in first gear, with 10-grand showing on the tach and nowhere to go but up, I no likey them too much. Still, it's damn amazing how they keep getting better and better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: Second Post

yeah but i some people want the extreme handling they provide without the beginner danger that a 1000cc bike has. I love my CBR600RR, and yeah, I would love a CBR1000RR more, but I want to be safe on my bike. My friend has a 2005 Hayabusa, he lets me ride it when we go on long trips. Its cool but I want to be able to get 100% from a 600, then go up to a liter bike. I know 600s dont have the torque but come on they are good for people who know how to ride a sportbike but aren't ready for a 1000CC+

·
Registered
208 Posts
Let me see if I can summarize the results of the CBR600RR MO reports:

Track test: A+

Street test: F (it's an ergonomic nightmare)

I just don't "get" this bike. It's not fun on the street (I include a reasonable level of comfort in the definition of fun), and I don't live next to a track. I guess 40ish yo engineers aren't the target market :)

But it comes in all black to make you less visible to the blue hairs/soccer moms. Now just strip off those offendingly bright turn signals to complete the Darth look.

And teens will of course see this as a beginner bike. Sheeesh....

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
To ride that bike I'd need to be 20 years younger, undo the work of a few knee surgeries and then pull my head out of my arse so I'd have room up there for my heels. Pretty to look at in solid black, but I gotta play somewhere else.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You're Pretty Smart.

Don't get me wrong; everytime a new crop of 600s come out, I shake my head in wonder. So, on my part, it's not a case of moto-snobbery.

My deal is, I don't feel comfortable with the vibes, and the torque-rise, and I don't like shifting anymore than is absolutely necessary. I've spent nearly thirty years (on and off) driving vehicles that red-line under 2000 rpm. So, coming on the throttle, over ten-grand, makes me wonder when I'm gonna have engine parts as peircings.

If you're a standard-issue human being, a 600 is probably all you'll ever need. And new one should keep just-about anyone happy, long after the payment book is empty.

On the street, litre bikes are best suited for doing wheelies (that's why stunter love them). But, put 'em in the tight-twisty stuff, and they can become a hand-full-of-Hell quicker than a synapse can open and close.

So, you're pretty smart if you want to tend-to-your-knitting and stick with a 600 for a good-while. That's more than can be said for a lot of riders.

Hayabusas? Hey, what's not to like, about a BULLET TRAIN! You ever clock one out to the stops in the it top-cog, give me a call; I'll gladly send you new underwear ;-)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
No, there doesn't need to be another supersport shootout. There need to be tests on things besides torture racks. One shootout every 4 or 5 years, when the bikes have changed enough to be noticeable, is quite sufficient. Too much time is spent catering to this crowd already... a substantial minority of riders. If you don't test a torture rack until 2007 that's fine by me.

How do some of the Guzzis ride? Or the KTM950? Or how do the GS500F and EX500 fare? Or even *gasp* the 1300 VTX?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Good Plan...

You're right about that, This is pretty much an entry level bike, so once you figure you're getting 100% from it on the street you should be ready for a real deal 1000.

I know it'll be hard to have to put up with only 120 or so hp, but if you keep it up around 12000 you should be ok.

I had to learn on bikes with 60 or 70 horsepower, how embaressing is that? I wish there was stuff like this when I was coming up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Here Here

I love the 600s and don't really mind the shootouts, but I allways wonder why the other bikes get paned.

I'd love to see a test on the suzuki DR-Z400SM. Hell I was glad to see a test of the Connie. Sean grab some of the dusty test rides out there, I know they're not the big sellers, or the sexiest; but come on variety is the spice of life

(note: I would rather see suzuki make a DR-650 motard bike, but ya test what they make)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Hold up now, this one is 9 lbs lighter, that's like taking a healthy crap before you go riding. I'm pretty sure you or I would notice that right off the bat.

I might have to rethink my stratagy of buying bikes I can actually ride in a variety of situations and get what's basicaly what DuHammel was riding two years ago.

How anyone can have fun on a bike that's not the fastest best handling bike on the road (this week) is beyond me.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to read any new content. And I like reading / knowing about the latest greatest in high-techery. I'm like most everybody else here, too old, too big, too un-supple. This bike is as far from my 'might-buy-it' list as a Boss Hoss.

Ok not quite that far, but out there.

Of course I'll be happy to read the SS comparo when it comes out, but if I could pick a shootout it'd involve a DL650 and a 950adv dirt road camping test. That or an XT660 vs DRZ400sm slugfest.

·
Registered
955 Posts
New To Me!

Are you younger than I think you are, or am I delusional? Because if you're anywhere near my age - 60-70hp didn't come along until H-3 Kaws ((Shudder!!!)) showed up. If you learned on one of them, you're a better man than me.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.