Motorcycle Forums banner

2005 Honda VTX 1800 F

55K views 85 replies 43 participants last post by  Idzine 
#1 ·
mmm...faux billet...

#2 ·
haterade put away...

it's a pretty cool looking bike...killer dyno run.

i wonder if they'll ever make something like that jesse james cafe racer to compete with the street rod. probly not since honda already makes the cbrs,vfrs, etc...but, who knows.

#3 ·
The motor sounds like fun but no ground clearance, lousy passenger accomodations, 31 mpg, a fight with the wind for any extended trip, no suspension travel, and over 15k and approaching 20k by the time you are out the door. Sounds like a bar bike to me.

I do like the choices of models and the diferent 'specs' you can order, though. I can think of a few other bikes that might benefit from this. This model ( F ) is the best looking version, also.

To each his own...

#4 ·
Gabe not only writes well and is a very good motorcycle tester, but he also has a terrific sense of humor:

"Honda isn't new to custom building: The Rune is Honda's $27,699 custom-built masterpiece"

I almost died laughing reading that one. What a jokester! Gabe, you are a hoot! LOL

#5 ·
While I'm sure the Honda is a well built bike, for some reason these new mega-cruisers only make a Dyna-Glide (with rational footpeg positions) more attractive than ever. Especially when you can save money by buying a freaking Harley-Davidson. And get a much better handling and lighter cruiser. With a more extensive line of less expensive add-on goodies. Whodaeverthunk?

Okay, okay. The HD brakes are comparatively poor. But the savings over a VTX1800 will get you a set of decent upgrade brakes.

By the time Honda and the various accessory manufacturers are done with them, many VTX owners are going to be in Rune cost territory anyhow.

#8 ·
VTX 1800 "F" for Fugly

At least the "F" designation is not as "F"ugly as the others. Is honda ever going to go back to making decent looking cruisers again, I don't care how many ftlbs of torque it has if I have to wear a paper bag over my head when I ride it.

Also what's with that $15000+ price tag? that's firmly in the realms of Harley Davidson prices.

Where 'o where did the Highwayman go?

#12 ·
Re: 7 H-D's you can buy for less

Honda just figured that since these types of bikes are all about showing off your disposable income, pricing it higher than a Harley would make it more desirable.

The guy on the H-D can't sneer at the VTX rider and call it a cheap Jap bike if the VTX cost even more.

#23 ·
Victory 8-Ball or Sportster 1200R, if forced to ride a "cruiser".

If you're payin and forcing me to choose between the VTX and M50, I'd take the VTX because it will at least allow me to spin the tire whe I'm bored.

#26 ·
734lbs for this, 540lbs for the 800cc suzook

Can someone explain to me why cruisers have to weigh so much?

I admit I don't get the cruiser thing, gyno position, lousy handling, sub par brakes, etc. (I know I'm generalizing). I can understand someone wanting the "look", but why do the cruiser guys let these things come in at weights approaching a small car?

I've ridden a bunch over the years and always come away with a very blah feeling. Thats me, but why do they weigh so much?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.